Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, changingskyline said:

Hopefully that doesn't mean they've scaled it back to 10-15 stories. (Just kidding, I'm sure we don't have to worry).

I still don't understand why they wouldn't want to consolidate all of their workers in one building rather than continuing to scatter them around in 6 different buildings. 

Same here although it could be money driven.  I've heard that it cost more to build a single, tall building than it does to build a couple shorter buildings.  

Edited by eandslee

• 1 month later...

Warning to anyone who updates Interent explorer or microsoft edge whatever they call their web browser now but I just updated Windows 10 and now internet explorer won't let me view the web cam and now they only thing I can get it on is safari on my ipad. They need to get this issue resolved asap. Thats now 2 web browsers you cant access it from both google chrome and explorer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

For those of us who are ignorant of the construction process:  is that ramp a temporary structure so that the heavy equipment can be extracted or is it a permanent structure?  Thanks

I had the same question!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

For those of us who are ignorant of the construction process:  is that ramp a temporary structure so that the heavy equipment can be extracted or is it a permanent structure?  Thanks

I don't know the answer, but I can say they took a long time building it one layer at a time.  If you notice the horizontal lines on the side, they are the layers.  Each one was filled and packed before filling the next.

53 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

There's no way that's a permanent structure.  This is just to avoid the Mike Mulligan dilemma. 

• 1 month later...

This is it. The skyline will be changed for better. Far better.

I think realistically now after this tower is done, it is time to capitalize on the residential market boom and start building tall residential towers (it's really picking up in other Southeastern cities like Nashville and Atlanta). There aren't many new construction residential high rises like Vista on the James. Need more of them. Build tall. The office market is anemic at best. I can't think of big local tenants that want to build a new HQ downtown. Altria seems happy off Broad. CarMax did open that one tech office on the canal walk, but they're happy out in the woods. Ditto Owens/Minor. WestRock moved administrative offices to Georgia.

We have 10% vacancy currently in office space downtown. New towers probably won't happen for a while until we can bring that down at least to 5 or 4%. Developers should make 321Locks all-residential and break ground.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

This is it. The skyline will be changed for better. Far better.

I think realistically now after this tower is done, it is time to capitalize on the residential market boom and start building tall residential towers (it's really picking up in other Southeastern cities like Nashville and Atlanta). There aren't many new construction residential high rises like Vista on the James. Need more of them. Build tall. The office market is anemic at best. I can't think of big local tenants that want to build a new HQ downtown. Altria seems happy off Broad. CarMax did open that one tech office on the canal walk, but they're happy out in the woods. Ditto Owens/Minor. WestRock moved administrative offices to Georgia.

We have 10% vacancy currently in office space downtown. New towers probably won't happen for a while until we can bring that down at least to 5 or 4%. Developers should make 321Locks all-residential and break ground.

I agree. Richmonds downtown is poised for major residential expansion. Vertically. Residential demand is through the roof. Hopefully building heights follow suit. I've recently visited Denver and they have recently completed or started construction on multiple large residential towers and projects in their downtown.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.b9b68e3c553aab1902b04a12bdac37de.jpg

About every week or so they raise that top floor after filling more concrete...I was also talking with someone who told me how the tower crane operators climb up in the morning and stay there all day.  I found that interesting.  The south tower crane has another 100' to rise yet.

• Like 3

Absolutely, just for a closer comparison, Norfolk, their latest tower proposed is all residential and will be pretty tall for the city from what I've seen, about 27 stories I think. http://harborsedgerivertower.com/

I hope Richmond can capitalize on this and we see more residential towers with increased height and maybe one day we'll reclaim the tallest building in the state title (assuming NOVA doesn't blow us out of the water). First step toward this is the revival of the City Center project, I'm worried that the back and forth with city council on that project has/will worry/scare off potential developers.

That being said, this tower is really going to transform our skyline. I know a lot of us were hoping for something taller; but as time has passed and more renderings have been released and how the tower will look in our skyline becomes more clear, it's going to really be transformation, I think people will notice our city a little more with this tower (especially driving in from the south on I95).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hikendesign said:

If you can't wait for more pictures posted, don't forget, you can look here too, I look in at least once a day, what's wrong with me.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/hourigan/dominionworkplace/workzonecam

What's wrong with you?  What's wrong with ME!!!??  I look at the webcam AT LEAST 3-4 times a day!!!  I'm the crazy one, I guess!  The picture had been stuck the past couple days, but it looks like its up and running again.

Thanks for the newly posted photo Meegwell!  Love to get a different perspective.  Also, it's good to know that the South tower crane will be going 100' taller!  Yes!  I hope this tower will be very transformational and is very prominent in the skyline!

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, eandslee said:

What's wrong with you?  What's wrong with ME!!!??  I look at the webcam AT LEAST 3-4 times a day!!!  I'm the crazy one, I guess!  The picture had been stuck the past couple days, but it looks like its up and running again.

Thanks for the newly posted photo Meegwell!  Love to get a different perspective.  Also, it's good to know that the South tower crane will be going 100' taller!  Yes!  I hope this tower will be very transformational and is very prominent in the skyline!

and I am willing to bet  ;)  that the option of building the second tower will be taken rather than refurb the old one.  We will have two of these beauties..and who knows, maybe the height of tower 2 will go up?

...now that will be a significant skyline change!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

Absolutely, just for a closer comparison, Norfolk, their latest tower proposed is all residential and will be pretty tall for the city from what I've seen, about 27 stories I think. http://harborsedgerivertower.com/

I hope Richmond can capitalize on this and we see more residential towers with increased height and maybe one day we'll reclaim the tallest building in the state title (assuming NOVA doesn't blow us out of the water). First step toward this is the revival of the City Center project, I'm worried that the back and forth with city council on that project has/will worry/scare off potential developers.

That being said, this tower is really going to transform our skyline. I know a lot of us were hoping for something taller; but as time has passed and more renderings have been released and how the tower will look in our skyline becomes more clear, it's going to really be transformation, I think people will notice our city a little more with this tower (especially driving in from the south on I95).

Yes, the residential tower in Norfolk will be 27 stories and will be the new 2nd tallest building in Norfolk (a few feet shorter than the Dominion Tower). And apparently they're darn near sold out of units. Residential towers downtown seems to be the trend these days. Even here in Greensboro, there's a rumor of two residential towers in the proposal stages (including a Skyhouse).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Thanks for the pictures.  For those of us who are not local, they really help put these projects in context.

I second that!  Thanks so much!  These are great!  I love how the new VCU dorm towers (excuse the pun) over the Ethyl Corp HQ.  Nice!  The Dominion Energy elevator shafts are inching upward.  I'm ready to see some of the actual building start to go up now!