Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

So it looks like there is no restriction coming from the city government that would cause an increase in price (thanks Coupe).  I wonder then, if the costs for the actual construction of a tower over 500' is what this "skyscraper threshold" is and also, why is it that the cost to build a tower at that height significantly increases (if this sort of thing actually is true).  Sorry, I'm just trying to understand this. 

I have heard that building a single tall tower costs more than breaking it up into two shorter towers, but why?

28 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I have heard that building a single tall tower costs more than breaking it up into two shorter towers, but why?

Structural support for the increased weight (both above and below ground), elevator equipment handling longer travel, heavier duty pumps, etc.  Generally comes down to land values vs cost to build up and I imagine our land values are not all that high currently.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Icetera said:

Structural support for the increased weight (both above and below ground), elevator equipment handling longer travel, heavier duty pumps, etc.  Generally comes down to land values vs cost to build up and I imagine our land values are not all that high currently.

That's a simple, but very good explanation.  I can see where the costs might be more if this be the case.  Thanks Icetera!

• Like 2

Just wanted to provide some perspective with the photo below.  This is a photo of downtown Arlington (Rosslyn), VA, which is a view I see every morning during my commute...but look closely at the tallest tower in the skyline. No, not the one with the point on it...the taller one to the left. That is the newly built CEB tower (actually it's is still under construction) and stands at 387 feet tall. Dominion Energy's tower in Richmond will be slightly taller than that at 413 feet!  That should be an impressive sight in the Richmond skyline! Just saying. :D

IMG_4305.png

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, vdogg said:

This tower will be named "600 Canal Place". Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I didn't see it here yet. 

Nope - hasn't been mentioned yet (thanks for posting), but someone pointed it out to me earlier today.  They draped a signed that said just that!  So, 600 Canal Place, it is!

Yesterday the Pickard Chilton-designed Northwestern Mutual tower opened in Milwaukee. Look at the design and you'll see how closely that building is the taller sibling of our tower. I hope Dominion's building turns out this well:

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2017/05/31/in-public-our-first-great-glassy-skyscraper/

http://www.pickardchilton.com/work/northwestern-mutual-tower-and-commons

By the way, I just noticed that the Dominion building is now being called "Canal Place" on Pickard Chilton's website. Is that the new official name and if so, why would Dominion not want its name on its own building?

Edited by changingskyline
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, changingskyline said:

Yesterday the Pickard Chilton-designed Northwestern Mutual tower opened in Milwaukee. Look at the design and you'll see how closely that building is the taller sibling of our tower. I hope Dominion's building turns out this well:

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2017/05/31/in-public-our-first-great-glassy-skyscraper/

By the way, I just noticed that the Dominion building is now being called "Canal Place" on Pickard Chilton's website. Is that the new official name and if so, why would Dominion not want its name on its own building?

It is now 600 and 700 Canal Place.  This may be to differentiate the two towers as well as have a better location name for other tenants such as retail.  The buildings will still be adorned with Dominion signage.

1 hour ago, changingskyline said:

I'm glad you mentioned this building seeing how it was the exact height that we were hoping for. Would love to see the second tower add some height to reach 550 feet. It would make the project perfect.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These aren't the highest quality pics, but I figured you all might like to see how the new tower is fitting into the skyline. Also, is it just me or does the main crane at the site seem kind of short for the planned height of the tower? Isn't the tower supposed to be 413 feet tall? That's over 100 feet taller than the current Dominion tower and yet the crane for the new tower looks barely taller than the current tower. Just wondering.

22406389_10214444922186947_3176939790814843088_n.jpg

22448282_10214444921586932_3641821990537307206_n.jpg

22491448_10214444918546856_1247781398197898077_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the pics!  These are great!  As far as the tower crane...I heard by someone on this forum that the crane still has to be raised by 100 more feet.  So be on the lookout for that soon!  Also, I think the final height will be 417 feet tall.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

Something different is happening with the concrete elevator shaft that is being built on site.  It appears that the right side of the elevator shaft maybe complete?  Looks like some of the apparatus has been removed and if my count is correct, they are only on the 17th floor.  Any idea what’s going on?  Perhaps only two elevators are planned for the top 3 floors?

32 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Something different is happening with the concrete elevator shaft that is being built on site.  It appears that the right side of the elevator shaft maybe complete?  Looks like some of the apparatus has been removed and if my count is correct, they are only on the 17th floor.  Any idea what’s going on?  Perhaps only two elevators are planned for the top 3 floors?

Yeah I noticed that too, it's a cost saving thing. Top floors are probably mostly for execs and big wigs, not a whole lot of those so no need for three elevators going all the way up, not as much traffic heading that high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1