Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

I've noticed from the more recent photos posted here that the concrete pump arm is no longer on top of the apparatus at the top of the elevator shaft.  This sort of leads me to believe that there might not be any additional concrete levels added to what's already there.  The only thing I question is that they have not started to disassemble the apparatus yet, so I'm not sure what the delay is if they aren't going to pure any more concrete.

Also, does anyone know what the white blocks are that they have put on the floors just below the white screened-off area (reference the construction webcam and you can also see them a bit in the photos above)?

Edited by eandslee

On 12/28/2017 at 9:52 AM, eandslee said:

I've noticed from the more recent photos posted here that they concrete pump arm is no longer on top of the apparatus at the top of the elevator shaft.  This sort of leads me to believe that there might not be any additional concrete levels added to what's already there.  The only thing I question is that they have not started to disassemble the apparatus yet, so I'm not sure what the delay is if they aren't going to pure any more concrete.

Also, does anyone know what the white blocks are that they have put on the floors just below the white screened-off area (reference the construction webcam)?

That makes sense.  Looks like the 20 floors plus two mechanical floors.  Now the crown will protrude for the equivalent of another 3 floors.  Perhaps the concrete apparatus will be used on the parking deck (looks like it needs at least another level)?  I imagine the rest of the shorter structure will just be steel.

I am also curious about the blocks now that you point them out.  Perhaps just materials still wrapped?  They may be around the size of the window panels.

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Icetera said:

I am also curious about the blocks now that you point them out.  Perhaps just materials still wrapped?  They may be around the size of the window panels.

I think maybe you are on to something there...it looks like they ARE the size of the window panels and from what I can gather from the webcam, it looks like they are pulling out window panels from a white package of the same size and putting up glass panels on the east side of the tower (great guess!).

I think that the glass panels will start on the fifth floor of the north side of the tower as the parking structure will be four stories tall (if I recall correctly).  Nice to see the work progressing along though...I'm just really curious to see how the top will turn out.  Wish we could see it as it happens in the webcam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Brent. Pickard Chilton is a master of the glass curtain wall. Jon Pickard worked in Cesar Pelli's office in the 1990s and I think that's where the influence of this refinement developed. 

I believe some of the curves on their towers are an attempt to provide multiple corner offices, or to democratize the workspace. This will really brighten up the skyline. It's still a modernist aesthetic, but it provides relief from the skyline's currant boxiness. 

Edited by changingskyline
  • Like 2

I 100% agree. The facade looks so much better than it did in the renderings. I love how it has more of a platinum grey look than it did in the renderings. It really differentiates itself  in terms of architecture. It is different from all the boxes that surround it, and with it being the second tallest building in the city, it will definently make its mark. It will look even better when they add the crown to the top of it.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2018 at 12:41 PM, changingskyline said:

I agree, Brent. Pickard Chilton is a master of the glass curtain wall. Jon Pickard worked in Cesar Pelli's office in the 1990s and I think that's where the influence of this refinement developed. 

I believe some of the curves on their towers are an attempt to provide multiple corner offices, or to democratize the workspace. This will really brighten up the skyline. It's still a modernist aesthetic, but it provides relief from the skyline's currant boxiness. 

The interior plan for this building is to minimize window offices and have the windows open to the floor as much as possible with offices being mostly interior.

• Like 1

These are great photos!  Thanks for posting.  I also, can't wait to see the steel rise above the elevator shafts.  For some reason, it appears that the steel workers have been very slow getting the steel up as of late.  Not sure if it's the weather, a slow supply line of steel, or what.  I certainly hope there is at least 3 more stories of steel that will rise above the elevator shafts because right now, it doesn't look too much taller than the old Dominion Energy building next door (maybe it was just the perspective where the photo was taken).  I really like how the building is shaping up though - it's beginning to have a more commanding presence in the skyline!!

On 1/31/2018 at 2:02 PM, eandslee said:

These are great photos!  Thanks for posting.  I also, can't wait to see the steel rise above the elevator shafts.  For some reason, it appears that the steel workers have been very slow getting the steel up as of late.  Not sure if it's the weather, a slow supply line of steel, or what.  I certainly hope there is at least 3 more stories of steel that will rise above the elevator shafts because right now, it doesn't look too much taller than the old Dominion Energy building next door (maybe it was just the perspective where the photo was taken).  I really like how the building is shaping up though - it's beginning to have a more commanding presence in the skyline!!

I'd say that currently it's probably about thirty or so feet taller than the old tower. That's just a guess though. Do you think it's going to end up nearly as tall as the crane is currently? I'm curious where exactly it's going to top off.