Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

10 minutes ago, jonfin826 said:

I'd say that currently it's probably about thirty or so feet taller than the old tower. That's just a guess though. Do you think it's going to end up nearly as tall as the crane is currently? I'm curious where exactly it's going to top off.

Well, their current tower next door (One James River Plaza) is 310’ and the new tower is supposed to be 417’ (plus it sits at a slightly higher elevation), so it should rise to about where the tower crane sits based on my untrained eye. 

Edit:  Coupe and I must have posted at the same time!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I thought that about the flag weeks ago.  The flag is actually on the roof of the current Dominion building.  They haven’t topped out yet :) 

No, it's on the roof of the new tower.  Saw it again crossing the Lee Bridge yesterday.   But yes the current building has a flag too.

Edited by ZUMAN2

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

So, what did you think seeing it in person?

Loved seeing it in person!  Right now, it still seems a little short, but I’m hoping that changes with the build-up of the crown.  It’s a very handsome building and I like the glass panels with the diagonal lines.  In the sunlight it’s going to reflect like a mirror, so it will definitely stand out.  I like all the taller buildings along that street and together they make a statement.  I also liked the area in general - very walkable (love the new Kanawha Plaza - the details are nice) and I can’t see why many people seeking to live in an urban environment wouldn’t want to live right there in the CBD...it’s very nice.  The new Dominion Energy tower just makes the place look more modern and, I think, sets the standard for any new tower that might be built in the vicinity in the future!  Overall, I love it!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, eandslee said:

Wow!  This is a great perspective!  Are you on the top floor of the current Dominion Energy tower?

thats from 21 (top) of the old one - you can see from the perspective it lines up with the third floor from the top...assuming that is the top which I believe tit is because it has one of two painted white beams.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm seeing this correctly, it looks like some of the steel workers removed some of the steel they erected at the top (north end) of the tower.  It's kind of hard to see in the webcam...can anyone confirm?  I wonder what happened?

Edit:  Nevermind...perhaps I'm mistaken.  Like I said, it's hard to see at the top of the webcam picture...it look like they had removed a portion there for a minute.  Sorry...nothing to see here....:scared:

Edited by eandslee
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

If I'm seeing this correctly, it looks like some of the steel workers removed some of the steel they erected at the top (north end) of the tower.  It's kind of hard to see in the webcam...can anyone confirm?  I wonder what happened?

Edit:  Nevermind...perhaps I'm mistaken.  Like I said, it's hard to see at the top of the webcam picture...it look like they had removed a portion there for a minute.  Sorry...nothing to see here....:scared:

I wonder if floors have ever had to be removed and rebuilt  during a high rise construction project due to poor design or some other SNAFU?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZUMAN2 said:

I wonder if floors have ever had to be removed and rebuilt  during a high rise construction project due to poor design or some other SNAFU?

Probably, but someone probably loses their job over it.  For that reason, I can’t imagine that it happens too often. 

• 2 weeks later...