Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

One way I have seen structures this tall imploded, is to drop it into a hole by using delayed charges.  It is indeed a lengthy clean up job.  Permit and approval process for this method could be an adventure on it's own.

Another yet more efficient way I have seen towers this size and taller demolished is via floor-by-floor removal.  Tower crane would assist in this process.

Edited by Shakman

48 minutes ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I would think using the tower crane method to demo the building would be better, that's how the General Assembly building was taken down without too much of a mess sprawling out all over Broad Street.

I've been told that anything over 15 stories generally requires implosion.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbjust said:

I've been told that anything over 15 stories generally requires implosion.  

The former One Meridian Plaza in Philadelphia used a tower crane when it was demo'ed.  The tower was 38-floors; 492 ft.  There was also a +20-floor tower in Houston, TX which used a tower crane during demolition; current location of 609 Main at Texas.

3 hours ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I would think using the tower crane method to demo the building would be better, that's how the General Assembly building was taken down without too much of a mess sprawling out all over Broad Street.

A crawler crane with a wrecking ball was used on the older structure.  The structural steel portion used two demo claws.  

Implosions are fun to watch but there many aspects that need to be factored when determining the best method of demolition.  The logistics and possible insurance claims can be quite a costly issue if implosions in an urban area have any failure.

Edited by Shakman

On 7/20/2018 at 1:59 PM, Shakman said:

The former One Meridian Plaza in Philadelphia used a tower crane when it was demo'ed.  The tower was 38-floors; 492 ft.  There was also a +20-floor tower in Houston, TX which used a tower crane during demolition; current location of 609 Main at Texas.

A crawler crane with a wrecking ball was used on the older structure.  The structural steel portion used two demo claws.  

Implosions are fun to watch but there many aspects that need to be factored when determining the best method of demolition.  The logistics and possible insurance claims can be quite a costly issue if implosions in an urban area have any failure.

Well, aren't you just a know-it-all?

I'm in the construction industry.  Though far from being any type of expert.  

The best times is when I got to spin around in the cab of a tower crane.  Climbing one is great exercise.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...