Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

This  part looks better than I thought it would just a few weeks ago.  It looks finished to me now.    I’ve only been able to see it from the Jefferson Hill area (decending  Venable).    Can probably see it from 64 coming into town but from that angle (straight on) it probably doesn’t show up as  anything other than texture. 

It really is a nice-looking building.  

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

This building belongs to the public now. We can see it.  It has changed the visual landscape of our city.  It’s  OK for any man, woman or child to have opinions about how it looks, what it gets right and where it could be better.

Personally I’m about 85% thrilled with it.  I too think it’s a bit stout (not too bad now, will look more squat with another one beside it) and I don’t like the location/size  of the flagpole.  Other than that, it’s great. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I’ve heard the opposite almost unanimously. 

I hope you’re right. Up until the other day when I read this particular person’s comment, I, like you, had always heard that they were planning to build the new tower. I’m taking the comment with a grain of salt considering the source.  I’m pretty sure they will build the new tower. 

12 hours ago, eandslee said:

I hope you’re right. Up until the other day when I read this particular person’s comment, I, like you, had always heard that they were planning to build the new tower. I’m taking the comment with a grain of salt considering the source.  I’m pretty sure they will build the new tower. 

We work closely with Hourigan on some of their projects. Some of their engineers have told me Dominion is definitely going to demolish, most likely by implosion which will be cool to watch. This is obviously not from a Dominion employee but that's the info I've gotten.

• Like 3

I agree. Right now it actually looks shorter than the Federal Reserve. Perhaps when they light the corona at night it will appear to emanate higher. In general, I'm a fan of dispersed density that fills in blocks and activates streets rather than one or two really tall, singular towers, but it would be neat to see the next tower appear about a half inch taller on the skyline to give it a certain pop. I was back home visiting RVA last weekend and downtown's looking great, but we still have SO MANY surface lots to fill in. That's for another thread.

• Like 3

On 2/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, eandslee said:

Just a rumor I read on Reddit that Dominion was leaning toward renovating instead of building another new tower.  Just a rumor though...nothing concrete. 

There are reasons that I can’t go into that the second tower may not happen on the originally scheduled timeframe but this is not set in stone. A lot will depend on how things pan out over the next few months and there should be a better idea on how things will proceed by May.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, vdogg said:

There are reasons that I can’t go into that the second tower may not happen on the originally scheduled timeframe but this is not set in stone. A lot will depend on how things pan out over the next few months and there should be a better idea on how things will proceed by May.

Oh, please tell me it is because they have decided to build the next tower taller and need the extra time to re-do the engineering for the added height!  Are they going to acquire yet another energy company out there to make their presence in Richmond even larger - thus the need for a taller building?!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, eandslee said:

Oh, please tell me it is because they have decided to build the next tower taller and need the extra time to re-do the engineering for the added height!  Are they going to acquire yet another energy company out there to make their presence in Richmond even larger - thus the need for a taller building?!

You are making me drool on my keyboard.

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgeglass said:

I could not get a pic, but noticed last night that the crown does look to have blue lighting being installed. At this point, it looked like lines of blue LED lights crossing each other at random points.

Got this photo from Ryan Ramsey’s Facebook page.   I think this is what you were trying to describe:

Dominion Energy Crown Lighting

• Like 4