TBurban

Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

8 hours ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready to start seeing some glass on that crown!

Yeah, but I’ll miss the tower crane when it’s gone. :(

10 hours ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, but I’ll miss the tower crane when it’s gone. :(

Hopefully there will be a couple of new ones right next to it when they build that second tower (crossing fingers)

• Like 1

Noticed on my way in this morning that the first row of glass panels for the roof/crown are being installed on the south side of the building.

Edited by RVAbigdawg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anybody know what all the concrete forms are for that they building on top of the parking garage?

This is great.  Obviously the FR just has such a dominant positioning from that north facing perspective, which happens to be the most photogenic of the skyline.  Other viewpoints show it differently.  Looks great!

• Like 2

Webcam updates but only in the morning hours when it's still dark.

Edited by Shakman
  • Sad 1

Beautiful shots of the skyline!  So nice to see the skyline getting really muscular.  If only the original plans for the Locks at 321 (Sun Trust) tower hadn't fallen through - imagine that gorgeous class structure also rising on the riverfront to join the Gateway Plaza and Dominion towers.  Holy moly that would be robust.

• Like 3

It’s a really great looking building up close but does nothing for the skyline (at night it should I guess). 

It just assumes the colour of everything around it.  It just kinda looks like a void most times of the day...like a  flounder lying on the bottom of the ocean, or in this case a slice in the skyline through which you see the sky. 

19 hours ago, Brent114 said:

It’s a really great looking building up close but does nothing for the skyline (at night it should I guess). 

It just assumes the colour of everything around it.  It just kinda looks like a void most times of the day...like a  flounder lying on the bottom of the ocean, or in this case a slice in the skyline through which you see the sky. 

I have to agree... it's hard to see from I-95 driving north, unless you're really looking for it.  If you're heading towards the river on the Downtown Expressway, you better not blink, otherwise you'll miss it.  Best views are either coming down the Expressway towards the city or coming across the Manchester & Lee bridges into the city.  Maybe when they build that second tower, it'll stand out some more.  I think it'd be nice if a few tall buildings were built on the other side of I-95.

1 hour ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I have to agree... it's hard to see from I-95 driving north, unless you're really looking for it.  If you're heading towards the river on the Downtown Expressway, you better not blink, otherwise you'll miss it.  Best views are either coming down the Expressway towards the city or coming across the Manchester & Lee bridges into the city.  Maybe when they build that second tower, it'll stand out some more.  I think it'd be nice if a few tall buildings were built on the other side of I-95.

The problem with the view from I-95 is the tower's proximity to the Federal Reserve.  It sits a considerable distance back making it appear shorter than it is from that angel. 

• Like 1

The park over the expressway and the open space that it creates to the south don't help it either. The new Dominion tower and other row of buildings along Canal street, in a pedestrian sense, don't have other buildings in close proximity to give them a sense of height., in this case the other side of the street.  The long range views, like the 95N view or from Manchester floodwall, etc. eliminate the void left by the expressway and it's read as one dense grouping and more pleasing to look at.

This (from the photo above) is what I’m referring to.).  Most times of the day the reflections make it look the sky.   Pretty but not really  visible .

0755E68D-9C54-468B-9C8A-DE8929FA59A8.png

• Like 3