TBurban

Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

11 minutes ago, Blackbird Fly said:

I think the 3+ year build timetable is very encouraging for a tall tower. Anybody else have thoughts on what could take so long if it wasn't going to be much taller than these recent buildings we've seen go up in <2 years? Also, I just added the estimated completion time to Richmond's Tallest Buildings wiki page.

That and the fact that it would be very difficult to design a building under 25 stories that can house over 1,000 employees.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blackbird Fly said:

I think the 3+ year build timetable is very encouraging for a tall tower. Anybody else have thoughts on what could take so long if it wasn't going to be much taller than these recent buildings we've seen go up in <2 years? Also, I just added the estimated completion time to Richmond's Tallest Buildings wiki page.

Seems slow to me, haven't they been designing, planning for a year or more already.  Does Dominion have to go through a state government approval process, the SCC aporoves, etc? That could be part of the slow.

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Does anyone think we won't have a new tallest out of this?

I definitely think we'll get at least a city's tallest, hoping to get Virginia's tallest out of this. I agree with the two points already mentioned - the 3 year timetable and the number of employees to house are good indicators of a Virginia's tallest. I also think they know more than they are saying. They might not know the final design yet, but I'm sure they have a good idea of some of the details. Perhaps they are finalizing designs now. Hard to believe they don't know any more than they knew back in May.  They are probably just being hush hush until the big announcement (whenever that will be).

Westin VA Beach is 508 feet tall. Gotta beat that. 40 stories would do it at about 550 feet or so. 

Edited by eandslee

2 hours ago, Blackbird Fly said:

Given the location, perhaps they are also accounting for archaeological discoveries.

7 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Given the location, perhaps they are also accounting for archaeological discoveries.

Good point! Also, thinking about it; if they are going to dig for underground parking that will take an eternity--just like it did for VCU Health's outpatient peds facility (that project has taken 3 years).

8 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Yikes!  Don't say that...but I can't argue with your assertion. It's quite possible they will find something if they dig (I hope not though). It is for this reason that Gateway Plaza and now the new Suntrust Center will have above ground parking...they don't want to risk delays due to an archeological dig if something is discovered digging a parking deck below ground. 

• Like 1

This may be a long shot, but I would like to see a public space (restaurant, bar, etc.) on the top floor of this building.  Imagine the views of the James from 700'.

Is this related to this building? The article is dated 1980 but then it goes on to talk about things that happened in the 90's which is, of course, impossible. 

http://m.styleweekly.com/richmond/dominion-powers-expansion-plan-threatens-a-historic-stretch-of-waterfront-while-offering-little-in-the-way-of-energizing-downtown/Content?oid=1384650

Actually, I think this is a different location. Are there 2 expansions in the works?

That is totally irrelevant to what's going on today and predates, at a minimum, Dominion's acquisition of the Richmond Plaza building. 

I don't think Dominion has plans to expand its riverfront campus, but I don't think their existing facilities will end up in the new building either. 

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Is this related to this building? The article is dated 1980 but then it goes on to talk about things that happened in the 90's which is, of course, impossible. 

http://m.styleweekly.com/richmond/dominion-powers-expansion-plan-threatens-a-historic-stretch-of-waterfront-while-offering-little-in-the-way-of-energizing-downtown/Content?oid=1384650

Actually, I think this is a different location. Are there 2 expansions in the works?

That looks like a place-holder/default date and I estimate that article is from mid-2000.  I did not catch until now that they intend to renovate the riverfront compass, rather than include it in the new tower.  I was hoping for the added employees to the new tower plus potential residential reuse of the old.

29 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I don't think Dominion has plans to expand its riverfront campus, but I don't think their existing facilities will end up in the new building either. 

Ok. I'm slightly familiar with the area. Is the riverfront campus the same one they refer to as Innisbrook?

35 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Ok. I'm slightly familiar with the area. Is the riverfront campus the same one they refer to as Innisbrook?

No, Innsbrook is located out on the west side of town.  Dominion has some offices there as well as offices on the river not far from downtown's financial district.  That, of course, is in addition to the very visible tower they occupy downtown (among other offices downtown).  But Innsbrook and the riverfront campus are not the same place.

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Incidentally, the same designer of the Devon Tower in OKC will be, or is designing, the Dominion Resources tower.  Hate that tower or not, Richmond could end up with something very similar (I'm hoping so)!

http://www.pickardchilton.com/mobile/corporate.html

I don't mind the design it's just it sticks out way to much in the OKC skyline.

4 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I don't mind the design it's just it sticks out way to much in the OKC skyline.

+1

I remember approaching OKC on the 40 thinking it looked like a big middle finger. I'm not sure what it says about OKC; I think it just says that they have one really successful oil/energy company and maybe the rest of their economy is floundering. 

33 minutes ago, Blackbird Fly said:

+1

I remember approaching OKC on the 40 thinking it looked like a big middle finger. I'm not sure what it says about OKC; I think it just says that they have one really successful oil/energy company and maybe the rest of their economy is floundering. 

No way!  OKC has several towers taller than 30 stories and many successful companies...more than Richmond.  That's not what the Devon Tower is saying...I'm starting to think you guys are "hating."  Don't be hatin' folks!

^^ It does stick out though, which is not a bad thing at all, it should encourage taller building and a new height standard.

The location of this tower is a little unfortunate IMO because from Manchester Bridge it would still have to size up the Fed just to remain visible. It would be much more impactful when viewed at this angle:

448891.jpg

I want someone to configure what the tower would look like from the 95 bridge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Asace88 said:

Ask and ye shall receive.  I added the SunTrust building and a possible Dominion building into a photo shot from 95 North just south of the river.

Ric95N.thumb.jpg.d2512c4cccae0aca4e336e9

Looks very nice!  With the Monroe tower on the right, the height of the Dominion tower is not so pronounced.  Love it!  Awesome work Asace88!

In the RTD today there's an article about Hourigan Construction and they mention the project - I think this is the first hint of it publicly in a while.  

This is the mention and the article is linked below.

Hourigan Construction, the general contractor for dozens of high-profile projects here, is in a joint venture with Chicago-based Clayco Inc. to tear down a six-story office structure — the Richmond Plaza building off Cary Street, across Seventh Street from Dominion Resources Inc.’s 21-story One James River Plaza office tower — and put up a new high-rise in its place for Dominion.

http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_f0807212-ad08-5adc-bcaa-5c42900a21e0.html

• Like 1

Even though an announcement (although informally, I think) has been made that Clayco will build the new Domionion tower, there is no word of it on their (Clayo's) website.  You would think this would be there for a project of this magnitude.  Maybe there are waiting for formal renderings?

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

http://m.richmond.com/business/ap/article_61f5dbdc-ff8a-5e35-bcc0-f707da430643.html?mode=jqm

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or under the rva business thread but dominion has just acquired Utah based Questar. Could this possibly result in some employees moving to their future tower in RVA?

I'm not sure I understand what's going on...it said in the article that Dominion is acquiring Questar, but then it said that Questar will keep its headquarters in Salt Lake City.  What?!  If Dominion will now own Questar, how can its HQ still be in SLC?  Something isn't clear to me, but I get the feeling that this will probably not affect the number of people who will work in the new tower when it is built.  Sounds like the Questar folks will still work out of SLC, even though the company will be owned by Dominion Resources.  I think that's what's going to happen....