TBurban

Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

10 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm not sure I understand what's going on...it said in the article that Dominion is acquiring Questar, but then it said that Questar will keep its headquarters in Salt Lake City.  What?!  If Dominion will now own Questar, how can its HQ still be in SLC?  Something isn't clear to me, but I get the feeling that this will probably not affect the number of people who will work in the new tower when it is built.  Sounds like the Questar folks will still work out of SLC, even though the company will be owned by Dominion Resources.  I think that's what's going to happen....

Okay, this makes sense now.  From Virginia Business:

"Pending approvals, Questar will operate as a first-tier, wholly owned subsidiary of Dominion and maintain its significant presence, local management structure and headquarters in Salt Lake City."

So, it will be a subsidiary of Dominion and everything will remain the same except the company's ownership (Dominion will own it, but it will keep its name, operations location and HQ).  With that information, I can say with some level of confidence that there will be no additions to the number of people to work in Dominion's new tower.  They just increased their reach and improved their balance sheet.  All good news.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/dominion-resources-to-acquire-questar-corp.-for-4.4-billion

Found some renderings of Forum Studios master plan for the blocks between 6th and 9th(including gateway plaza) that shows a large office tower and a mid rise which could be an outline for what dominions skyscraper will be! While I wish the tower was taller, I do like the design of the buildings(I counted around 30 stories)

http://www.forumstudio.com/page/projects/projectlist/richmond-master-plan?e=mixed-use

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 3

Nooooooo!  These renderings look very legit!  They may be preliminary and hopefully this design is one which they've decided against!  A flat roof, only 30 stories...it can't be true!  It would be disappointing, but I'd take it. The thing that gives me pause is that these designs are not from the company that is supposed to do the design for this building. Perhaps this company didn't get the job because it was a design and concept that did not find favor with Dominion (hopefully, this is the case - fingers crossed). 

The Forum Studios is actually Clayco's in-house design company. I know that the new Dominion tower will be built by Clayco, but I don't think they are using their in-house design company (they are using Pickard Chilton Architects).  So, I'm not sure how "final" this design is, but looks like it could have been a contender!

Edited by eandslee

I thought they were keeping the current dominion tower and tearing down the 6(?) story building next to it and building there?

I doubt this is the final design.

How tall do you guys think this is based on these early renderings? I counted around 30 as well with the parking  garage levels since it appears the parking is above ground. I couldn't get the slide that I  counted on to pause for so long while I counted so I had to do an estimate. 2 million square feet as a lot to add downtown but very cool none the least.

Edited by Downtowner

I count 31 floors (and I know it's a rough rendering). At the very least, I think Richmond is looking at the city's tallest. I think you guys may still be in the running for having the tallest building in the state. But I agree that if this is a near final design, it's a little surprising that's it's "only" looking to be 450-550 feet rather than 600-700 feet.

Honestly if it topped out at 550 feet I won't be sad at all. That would actually make me happy. Anywhere between 530-550 feet is fine with me and maybe go higher than that one day in the future. I just think we need to push and not limit ourselves to making every tower in rva less than 30 floors.

1 minute ago, HRVT said:

I count 31 floors (and I know it's a rough rendering). At the very least, I think Richmond is looking at the city's tallest. I think you guys may still be in the running for having the tallest building in the state. But I agree that if this is a near final design, it's a little surprising that's it's "only" looking to be 450-550 feet rather than 600-700 feet.

It looks around 515 but it looks like it has a 20-25 foot crown.

Very interesting. I would think from a phasing perspective that a larger tower would go where Richmond Plaza is located because so many folks would be displaced by One James River Plaza coming down. But who knows? This is a master plan so reality could vary. I'd also like to see some additional uses incorporated into the project like hospitality or multifamily ( separate tower(s) but part of the project). 

Also I counted about 32 floors in the taller tower and about 15 in the smaller one. My guess is 500' or so including the decorative roofline element. 

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Lets just remember that this isn't the final design released by pickard chilton but I would think it would be similar due to the fact the Forum studios is part of Clayco.

• Like 1

The other reason why I know this is not the final design is because Dominion would require the signing of a non-disclosure agreement of the final design until the design is made final and public. Since that hasn't happened yet, the Forum Studios would be in violation of that agreement if this were the final design. This is probably a good representation of what Diminion is looking for though. 

Are you guys really complaining about this? If you don't want it send it to Norfolk, we'll take it. :lol:  Keep in mind, 30+ floors can very easily result in a 500+ foot tower when dealing with office space. Especially when you account for that open air central section and that tall crown. The current rendering makes it look about 100ft taller than the current Dominion building which is around 400ft I believe. May be looking at a new states tallest from the looks of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I wouldn't mind seeing hotel in this development to be honest. I think a Hotel could be a big part of what this development could be missing.

No way you will ever see a hotel in a corporate headquarters, not in this day and age.  

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I wouldn't mind seeing hotel in this development to be honest. I think a Hotel could be a big part of what this development could be missing.

No way you will ever see a hotel in a corporate headquarters, not in this day and age.  

This design really seems to take the same design language of Gateway and the Locks.  

This design really seems to take the same design language of Gateway and the Locks.  

Yeah now that I think about it your right. The design does remind me of gateway and the locks tower. Very cool none the less. Just gotta wait on a final rendering when pickard chilton releases one. I hope other company's that movie into the city will build upon this new hopeful tallest and keep building taller even though I keep hearing people say the building codes for height in Richmond are strict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Yeah now that I think about it your right. The design does remind me of gateway and the locks tower. Very cool none the less. Just gotta wait on a final rendering when pickard chilton releases one. I hope other company's that movie into the city will build upon this new hopeful tallest and keep building taller even though I keep hearing people say the building codes for height in Richmond are strict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might because forum studios also designed gateway. These 2 buildings were designed to the in with gateway.

Beautiful building, but I do hope the finalists for the project take a step away from the big box look that we are so accustomed to here.  

And retail or not, I hope some consideration is given to street-level activity.  No repeats of the current Dominion tower!  

• Like 1

Looks like similar design elements to a couple Pickard Chilton towers:  BG Group Place (corporate) and 350 N. Fifth (Commercial)...

33 minutes ago, vaceltic said:

Forum Studio's link to the master plan is down. Coincidence? I think not!

Yeah, this could be legit. My question is what source says Pickard Chilton is the architect? Other than some random folks on the forum...

2 minutes ago, varunner said:

Yeah, this could be legit. My question is what source says Pickard Chilton is the architect? Other than some random folks on the forum...

I agree varunner.Maybe Clayco is running the show with Pickard Chilton as their subcontractor?

Meegell gave us the info on the architect, but I also thought I saw it in an article too (can't find it though).  Maybe you guys are right - this design might be THE design. This is kind of scary to me because if this tower is about 500 feet, why stop there just a few feet short of Virginia's tallest?!  Put a spire on that thing or something, but make it Virginia's tallest for pete's sake!

At this point, with the detail in the renderings and the fact that the website was taken down, I would say it is safe to assume that these are likely going to be the final plans or close to it.  

After digesting the plans there are two ways to look at this project:

1) Tower only- I admit I wanted something 650' and modern as much as anyone.  My gut reaction was disappointment in seeing something approximately 500' with a flat top.  However, after reviewing all of the images in detail before the site was taken down this project is much different when viewed as a whole.

2) Entire scope of project- When really looking at these plans this building has the potential to be one of the most unique projects in the mid-Atlantic.  Dominion stated that they wanted this building to be a "tower of the future".  They will certainly achieve that with this.  If you pay attention to the amount of green/plaza space combined between the two buildings it is clear that they are looking to create the feeling of a suburban, green campus in an urban setting.  The logistics for construction will be incredible to watch.  Can you imagine a 6" caliper specimen tree being craned up 200'+ in the air.  I've never seen a building feature green spaces halfway up the tower recessed into the structure.  

While at first glance this project may not seem as sexy and high profile as many of were hoping for, I believe once this is completed (if this is the final version) it will be an awe-inspiring complex.  It will, at the very least, be a strong addition to the skyline and the most unique building Richmond has ever seen.  A project of this caliper with the amount of green space and modern amenities that we should expect will likely garner awards spanning architecture, construction and landscape industries.

If this is what we are getting I will be one of it's biggest supporters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Asace88 said:

At this point, with the detail in the renderings and the fact that the website was taken down, I would say it is safe to assume that these are likely going to be the final plans or close to it.  

After digesting the plans there are two ways to look at this project:

1) Tower only- I admit I wanted something 650' and modern as much as anyone.  My gut reaction was disappointment in seeing something approximately 500' with a flat top.  However, after reviewing all of the images in detail before the site was taken down this project is much different when viewed as a whole.

2) Entire scope of project- When really looking at these plans this building has the potential to be one of the most unique projects in the mid-Atlantic.  Dominion stated that they wanted this building to be a "tower of the future".  They will certainly achieve that with this.  If you pay attention to the amount of green/plaza space combined between the two buildings it is clear that they are looking to create the feeling of a suburban, green campus in an urban setting.  The logistics for construction will be incredible to watch.  Can you imagine a 6" caliper specimen tree being craned up 200'+ in the air.  I've never seen a building feature green spaces halfway up the tower recessed into the structure.  

While at first glance this project may not seem as sexy and high profile as many of were hoping for, I believe once this is completed (if this is the final version) it will be an awe-inspiring complex.  It will, at the very least, be a strong addition to the skyline and the most unique building Richmond has ever seen.  A project of this caliper with the amount of green space and modern amenities that we should expect will likely garner awards spanning architecture, construction and landscape industries.

If this is what we are getting I will be one of it's biggest supporters.

I also love the project, however, it would be awesome to have about 2-4 more floors just to make it VAs tallest!!! However, I think this could help increase the walk ability along canal st. Also you can see this tower any entrance to the city. Could they possibly building some above ground parking to add some height to the tower?

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 1