TBurban

Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

Haven't seen this posted yet. Goes into detail about who the general contractor is/architect etc. Says not to expect designs till this summer so the renderings we have may just be conceptual and not final.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/all-headlines/article/dominion-resources-will-build-a-new-office-tower-in-downtown-richmond

• Like 4

well since there has been little news on this and the last I heard we aren't suppose to get design announcements until the the summer, why don't we, just for fun, post what design you'd like to see. 

What type of architecture, a similar building, post some examples?

Personally I'm a big fan of ArtDeco but since it's not 1930 I seriously doubt that will happen. But I do hope that the building has a nice topper. Maybe a dome, personally I really like this buildings topper in Winton Salem NC. I think its a nice clean look that will look good in any decade. (just to give an idea of size, this tower is 34 floors, 460ft)

2beff0a0ef26af1971a0f940b361f48c.jpg

But as for modern architecture, something like this would be my choice:

Tour Generali (46 floors, 869ft spire)

generali_modified.jpg 

Realistically my only request is for it not to be a flat top, we already have plenty of flat tops. 

I know I'm going to get a lot of "hate mail" for this, but I really like Devon Tower in OKC. Sorry, but to me she is beautiful and just the right height that Richmond needs!  Love it!

DevonTower.jpg

Edited by eandslee

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

I know I'm going to get a lot of "hate mail" for this, but I really Devon Tower in OKC. Sorry, but to me she is beautiful and just the right height that Richmond needs!  Love it!

DevonTower.jpg

That's a good one, I think most of the hate that tower gets isn't because of the design, but because it just doesn't fit in the skyline at all, not even close. The tower itself looks great, just not the whole picture, I'd be ok with a scaled down version of this in RVA

I agree that Devon is beautiful. Considering that Pickard Chilton is involved, it's almost a guarantee that this will be a glass curtain wall tower. The rendering above shows a taller version of Devon than what was actually built. 

Heck, I'll even take something like this, but about 10 more stories taller.  What's interesting to note is that people (right now) are in the throes of deciding what Richmond's signature tower is going to look like!  I mean really, there is a small group of people deciding what Richmond's skyline will be known for!  Just so cool to think. Wish I was on that committee.  Anyway, here's the tower I mentioned at the beginning of this post (just imagine at least 10 more stories):

Pickard%20Chilton%20Arch%20-%20Bass%20Ba

Things may be happening - what did I see – a poem to diffuse.

Pleased with the arrangement whilst not for how high - one’s about twenty five and the other a tad shy, together transforming, softly illuminating the sky. Consider an ellipse, spliced down the center, each side offset , yes, that is it - one side straight and one side another – add a curve, look up and you’re on to something. Will the images drop – it’s out for review -  it will be tempting to upload for all to view.

Is there an announcement  - can demolition begin – come on Dominion we’re waiting on you. 

Edited by hikendesign
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Pleased with the arrangement whilst not for how high - one’s about twenty five and the other a tad shy, together transforming, softly illuminating the sky. Consider an ellipse, spliced down the center, each side offset , yes, that is it - one side straight and one side another – add a curve, look up and you’re on to something. Will the images drop – it’s out for review -  it will be tempting to upload for all to view.

Is there an announcement  - can demolition begin – come on Dominion we’re waiting on you. 

Are you saying that the highest we get to hope for is only 25 stories?!  Pssssst!  I spit on that idea!  I would be completely devastated!  Ugh!  Please tell me no!

I also get a mental picture of an all glass ellipse shape that is split down the middle by the street (one half of the building on one block, the other half on the other block)....probably connected by some sort of bridge way.  It sounds very creative, but I can't stomach only 25 stories...I just can't.  I'll be sick. However, it sounds different enough to be iconic - that's for sure!

Oh, nice poem. You come up with it yourself?!

Edited by eandslee

On 4/22/2016 at 3:54 PM, hikendesign said:

Quite the wordsmith! So it's a pair of towers, one 25 and another a little less. I will take density and design over height anyday. Looking forward to hearing more details when it's publicly released.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TBurban said:

Quite the wordsmith! So it's a pair of towers, one 25 and another a little less. I will take density and design over height anyday. Looking forward to hearing more details when it's publicly released.

Very well crafted hikendesign. I like the idea of a bisected ellipse, with the two halves offset. Do you think both buildings will be undertaken simultaneously? I wonder how much demand for space Dominion has currently, and how much they are setting aside for future growth. Do you think all of the space in both buildings will be taken by Dominion, or that some will be leased out.

I know most people on urbanplanet, no matter the city in which they live, are in favor of the tallest building, but the market should always drive the space being built, and whether it's office space, hotel rooms, or retail, there is always a danger of overbuiling and devaluing.

I think this will be a great looking addition to the Richmond skyline. 

1 hour ago, NFKjeff said:

Very well crafted hikendesign. I like the idea of a bisected ellipse, with the two halves offset. Do you think both buildings will be undertaken simultaneously? I wonder how much demand for space Dominion has currently, and how much they are setting aside for future growth. Do you think all of the space in both buildings will be taken by Dominion, or that some will be leased out.

I know most people on urbanplanet, no matter the city in which they live, are in favor of the tallest building, but the market should always drive the space being built, and whether it's office space, hotel rooms, or retail, there is always a danger of overbuiling and devaluing.

I think this will be a great looking addition to the Richmond skyline. 

Based on the explanation I suspect one building would be on the site of the current tower.  If that is the case, they would build the taller tower on the Richmond Plaza block then demo the current tower for the second half.

I don't know...talk about sticking out like a sore thumb - if this thing turns out the way described in the poem, then this will be the epitome of sticking out like a sore thumb!  Which is worse, having a super tall tower in relation to the rest of downtown or a huge glass round behemoth surrounded by all square buildings?

It could end up looking like two of these with different heights. If so, they would make great additions to the skyline!

image.jpeg

Edited by Blackbird Fly
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Blackbird Fly said:

It could end up looking like two of these with different heights. If so, they would make great additions to the skyline!

image.jpeg

I agree, this would look pretty good. Not sure what is meant by an "ellipse" in the poem, but if that means that it looks something like this, it would be good.  Now we just have to work on the height.  25 stories isn't that great and wouldn't come close to the state's tallest, which is what I was hoping for. 

Edited by eandslee

Not a fan at all of @hikendesign's description of the buildings. It's not that I don't like the eclipse design. It's more that it would take up 2 blocks when it could only take up 1. This seems like a waste of space to build 2 towers around 25 stories on 2 blocks when they could just build a taller tower or make both towers on only 1 block.

• Like 2

What?!  20 whole stories!!  You've got to be kidding me!  Watch out, serious signature tower going in downtown!  

I'm speechless!

15 minutes ago, jbjust said:

I definantely wish they were taller but I LOVE THE DESIGN!!! These buildings will definantely change the skyline for the better. Even though they aren't the 40-50 story monsters that we wanted, I still take them. Plus with the demolition of the current dominion building, it won't mean that we will have an extra vacant office building. The only thing that sucks is that we will most likely have to wait another 10-15 years for a large signature tower

2 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I can't say that this is exactly what I was hoping for, but the article did say it would be 506 feet tall, so it should still make an imapct. 

NOOOOOOOOOO! That's only 2 feet shorter than the VA beach Westin!!!!! Could they maybe make it 3 feet taller?