Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

12 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Are they removing the ramp in the pit?

It certainly looks like they are in the beginning stages of doing so.  Interesting.  I'm curious to see how they get all the other large machinery out of the pit.  Are the tower cranes capable of lifting a large JLG out of there?  Also, how will they get all the dirt/rock/aggregate out that formed the ramp?  This is going to be interesting to watch.  Going to get popcorn....

3 hours ago, Shakman said:

10.jpgEither a tower crane or possibly a smaller mobile crane will be used to get out any remaining equipment out of the hole.  

I heard they're going to use the remaining equipment as a boiler for the whole building...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome shots!  Can't thank you enough for posting these photos of different perspectives.  Love how the Gladdin Residence (I think that's the name) is rising (pretty prominent)!  Steel going up on the Dominion Energy tower and the Manchester residential "tower" is (to me) too short, but it's development in a positive direction.  Can't wait to hear when the two 16-story residential towers are to go up on the canal in Manchester.  It's been quiet on that front for a while.  Has anyone heard anything new?

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, meegwell said:

and I am willing to bet  ;)  that the option of building the second tower will be taken rather than refurb the old one.  We will have two of these beauties..and who knows, maybe the height of tower 2 will go up?

...now that will be a significant skyline change!

I think you are 100% correct, meegwell.  While it's been quiet lately, I've been thinking about it and, to me, there is no way that Dominion Energy is not going to build the second tower - it's an integral part of their overall future site plan!  The real question is whether the height will increase or not.  I would like to see at least see a tower of the same height as the first (at 20 stories...just 4 stories difference than what is being proposed).  I think it will be interesting to see how the current tower is demolished.  Will it be piece by piece or will it involve some explosives and it comes down all at once?

Also, I got to tell ya...I love watching the steel go up.  It's so much faster than the cast concrete pillars that some towers are built from.  What is the difference?  Why one over the other?  Is it cost?  Is the steel structure cheaper?  It sure is faster to erect, although I know each floor will get a layer of concrete as well (just not the columns).  Was just wondering.

First time post even though I have been a long time follower!

The plan is to currently implode the second building. Will be interesting to see how it is done considering there will be two new shiny glass building on either side of it. Also of  note that my friend told me about this project and this was his speculation. At a certain point the height of a building needs to be considered due to more regulations. The price can significantly rise when crossing over the skyscraper threshold. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cwd221 said:

First time post even though I have been a long time follower!

The plan is to currently implode the second building. Will be interesting to see how it is done considering there will be two new shiny glass building on either side of it. Also of  note that my friend told me about this project and this was his speculation. At a certain point the height of a building needs to be considered due to more regulations. The price can significantly rise when crossing over the skyscraper threshold. 

Welcome to the boards, cwd221!  Thanks for the input and news.  By the way, what is the "skyscraper threshold?"   At what point does a tower become a "skyscraper" (350', 500', what?) and if that threshold is pretty tall...does Richmond even have a true skyscraper?

12 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Welcome to the boards, cwd221!  Thanks for the input and news.  By the way, what is the "skyscraper threshold?"   At what point does a tower become a "skyscraper" (350', 500', what?) and if that threshold is pretty tall...does Richmond even have a true skyscraper?

Of course regulations can change from place to place, but he mentioned something around the 500 foot figure. This may be a reason why you don't see any buildings greater than that in Richmond.  The friend who mentioned this to me works at Hourigan and usually tells me things before it comes out to the public. When I was talking about the rumor of the Dominion building I mentioned that it would be cool if they built a 40 story building and that is where the skyscraper regulations came up.

39 minutes ago, cwd221 said:

Of course regulations can change from place to place, but he mentioned something around the 500 foot figure. This may be a reason why you don't see any buildings greater than that in Richmond.  The friend who mentioned this to me works at Hourigan and usually tells me things before it comes out to the public. When I was talking about the rumor of the Dominion building I mentioned that it would be cool if they built a 40 story building and that is where the skyscraper regulations came up.

Wow, I have never heard of this skyscraper threshold until now, but it makes sense now why there are no buildings taller than 500' in Richmond - no one wants to pay the extra cost to build one!  Instead, what is planned are 2 buildings of moderate height to avoid paying more for one tall building (taller than 500').  Even though it is starting to make sense, it's still unfortunate if true about the added cost.  Is the added cost coming from the local government or is it just due to the cost of construction?  If it's the former, then what's the point?  You discourage taller, nice looking towers in your city and then on top of that, no one builds them so you never cash in anyway.  Sounds really weird to me.  I'd like to know more about this skyscraper threshold.  Think your buddy could shed more light?

This is what the city zoning code says about height in B-4 district which encompasses virtually all of downtown:

"Sec. 30-440.6. - Height.
There shall be no maximum height limit in the B-4 Central Business District, provided that no portion of a building shall penetrate an inclined plane originating at the centerline of each abutting street and extending over the lot at an inclination of one foot horizontal for each four feet vertical and provided, further, that such inclined plane may be penetrated by a building wall adjacent to a street for a horizontal distance not exceeding 50 percent of the length of the property line along such street."
  • Like 1