Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

1 hour ago, changingskyline said:

I know the "tower on a plaza" modernism has been discredited, but aesthetically I can't help but like the current James River Plaza. The materials and proportions are beautiful. The verticality of the lines and small windows make the building feel taller than it actually is, something the replacement building won't do. Pickard Chilton has a great track record for contributing to the street, so I hope Dominion lives up to the imagination and commitment of their past clients in that regard. 

Here are some pictures of the current plaza. Unused, but not entirely unattractive. And we should remember that this podium is covering a parking garage. 

https://tclf.org/landscapes/one-james-river-plaza

The front view of the new Dominion tower will undoubtedly address the street well, but what about the north side of the block on Cary Street? Will that be a dead zone with a parking structure? If so, we would be better off with a plaza like this. 

I'm positive Dominion said there would be retail along Cary street. I think it was 5,000 feet but don't quote me on it. I can't find an article about it but I would check the project site on either Pickard Chilton or Clayco to find out for sure.

15 hours ago, Downtowner said:

I don't meant to get off topic but has anyone heard anything more about the replacement for one james river plaza? Is 700 Canal Place still happening and also is it still going to be just 16 stories or will it grow at all to be even taller? I don't know how I feel about tearing down a taller building to replace it with an even shorter building.

The current plan is to tear it down. Fun fact, it is cheaper to tear down the building and rebuild than it would be to go through it and retrofit to today's code. 

• Like 1

Is there any chance we would end up with a related but slightly different "sister" tower rather than a shorter identical twin? Something akin to One and Two Liberty Place in Philadelphia? It seems like that might be better aesthetically. On the other hand, something like Calgary's Eight Ave. Place (another Pickard Chilton design) would work:

http://www.pickardchilton.com/work/eighth-avenue-place

Regarding the street retail, thank you for posting those pics. That does look promising.

Edited by changingskyline

I was downtown today for the Richmond Marathon and noticed that glass is definitely going up on the west side of the tower. Also the concrete elevator shaft is already taller than the Dominion building next door.  It’s really a nice looking tower and it’s really starting to have a dominant presence downtown.  Took a few photos but will have to wait until I get home to post. 

• Like 2

I wasn't able to stop and snap any pictures but I drove past the construction site earlier and glass on the canal street side has been partially installed on the first and second floors. It was more than just the few test panes they put up a couple weeks ago, so it appears that glass installation is now in full swing.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2017 at 3:10 PM, jonfin826 said:

I wasn't able to stop and snap any pictures but I drove past the construction site earlier and glass on the canal street side has been partially installed on the first and second floors. It was more than just the few test panes they put up a couple weeks ago, so it appears that glass installation is now in full swing.

FWIW I walk by the site 2-4 times a day on that side - those original panels are still there looks like that is where they started and now wrapping around nicely in the south side. 

There are photos of the glass going up on Facebook.  I would post the photos here, but they belong to Ryan Ramsey and I have not gotten his permission to do so.  BUT, you can see the photos on Facebook that he took by searching for "Richmond City Watch" and checking out that Facebook page.  He took some really good photos.

Just now, cwd221 said:

Looks like the top of the building is about to be outside of the cameras view 

I know, I've noticed that!  I didn't think it would ever get that tall, but maybe I don't know what 417 feet really looks like.  I'm glad to see that it is taller than I thought I would be!  Can anyone nearby snap a photo of the height in relation to the buildings next to it and post it? :)

• Thanks 1