Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

17 hours ago, eandslee said:

Ah...progess pictures...NICE!  Thanks for posting.  I do still wonder why the steel construction has stopped on the crown.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the glass...does it need to be at the top level in order to progess any further?  Just not sure what's going on.  The tower crane was raised a few weeks ago in anticipation of going higher with the steel, but not much has happened.  Anyway, it's good to see the progress elsewhere on the tower.  Plus, the parking deck has broken ground level and is headed up!  Still interested in seeing how the retail section is worked into the parking deck (totally confused about how that's going to be incorporated).

From observation of previous projects, a different type of steel structure will be used for the crown, since this steel will not have to support floors.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 9:01 PM, eandslee said:

Great photos and thanks for posting!  Love new photos when we can get them!  

As far as the parking deck...they’ve always been working on it, it’s just that now they are finally going above grade (everything up to this point has been work done below grade.  They’ve built something like 4 stories of parking deck below ground up to this point).  It is good to see it finally breaking the surface!  I’m interested to see how they work the retail potion into the parking deck.  Haven’t been able to figure that one out yet.

Found this online:  You can picture it when looking at the construction cam . 

3B6248C5-54F4-4E3C-B5F8-3E8A6CB5F132.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, RVAbigdawg said:

What's happening with the crown of this project?  Seems like it's been at a standstill at the top for a while now....

I’m not 100% sure, but it seems to me that they are waiting until the glass curtain reaches the top before they proceed to go higher with the steel structure that will support the crown.  If I’m not mistaken, they will use a different grade steel for the crown (more lightweight?) since it won’t be supporting any floor or important infrastructure. 

4 minutes ago, cwd221 said:

The workzone camera has been moved up slightly to show the new steel work going on

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/hourigan/dominionworkplace/workzonecam

Oh nice!!!  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I check this cam out pretty often during the day, but didn't see this yet!  This is great!

6 hours ago, RVAbigdawg said:

Looks like they're going to need taller windows for that last floor...

I was noticing the same thing today.  For some reason that top floor has a higher ceiling than all the rest.  Pretty cool though.  I'm still wondering what's taking them so long to put up a little steel for the crown.  They moved much faster when doing the regular floors.