Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

Wow!  This is looking really nice.  The skyline is really beginning to beef up some.  Will love to see how it looks next year or year after when the new General Assembly building and the new VCU/MCV outpatient tower are added to the mix.  Wasn't there talk of yet another 18-story hospital tower just north of the main complex as well?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Wow!  This is looking really nice.  The skyline is really beginning to beef up some.  Will love to see how it looks next year or year after when the new General Assembly building and the new VCU/MCV outpatient tower are added to the mix.  Wasn't there talk of yet another 18-story hospital tower just north of the main complex as well?

I believe the outpatient tower is the tower you were thinking of, just that it is happening sooner than we may have expected.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:47 PM, Icetera said:

I believe the outpatient tower is the tower you were thinking of, just that it is happening sooner than we may have expected.

There will be two new MCV/VCU  towers. My friend at HKS is working on it now. They also did a design for the first building to be built,  but ultimately lost out on the design.  I have the image and the one chosen is definitely better than the HKS design in my opinion.  But great things are happening around here!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, skinsfan said:

There will be two new MCV/VCU  towers. My friend at HKS is working on it now. They also did a design for the first building to be built,  but ultimately lost out on the design.  I have the image and the one chosen is definitely better than the HKS design in my opinion.  But great things are happening around here!!

A second tower?  Tell me more. 

14 hours ago, skinsfan said:

Nothing to report really on the second  MCV tower.  He is pretty tight lipped about their projects. I think he has mentioned it’s called a bed tower.  

So from what I've been told is that this will not be a separate tower but an addition to the current one, not in height however. The entire footprint of the building does not go all the way to the top only about half of it. The addition would be another quarter of the building on the southwestern side continuing all the way to the top. From what I understand is VCU is trying to secure the money for this right now, and it may just happen with the rest of the building and not as an actual separate construction project.

Going back my post in the VCU Development  thread, I did mention about the tower looking longer in one of the renderings.  Go to page 47, post by Blackbird Fly on May 1st.  Look at the last rendering.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Going back my post in the VCU Development  thread, I did mention about the tower looking longer in one of the renderings.  Go to page 47, post by Blackbird Fly on May 1st.  Look at the last rendering.

I looked at the rendering, but it just left me confused.  Wouldn't the "other tower" in that rendering place it right in the middle of 10th Street?  As far as I can tell, there is no room on the west side of the building in the rendering to put that "second tower."

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

I looked at the rendering, but it just left me confused.  Wouldn't the "other tower" in that rendering place it right in the middle of 10th Street?  As far as I can tell, there is no room on the west side of the building in the rendering to put that "second tower."

It's on the SOUTHwest side. I marked up the site from google maps. Only half of the footprint of the building will be rising the full 17 stories. The back portions would rise 7 floors and 9 floors respectively, a lot of that side is parking. The "expansion" would be raising the 9 floor section all the way to the top. 

image.thumb.png.d00b24b7613112738515ad5a9debcad8.png

Now I'm not saying I have all the information in the world and there very well could be a separate tower, but these are the only possible future plans I know of that are tied to this project in any way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I spy with my little eye from my office... what looks to be the second-to-last tall beam being installed...

The design reminds me of Richard Pryor skiing down the building in Superman 3.

I walk by the construction every day during lunch. It looks especially nice if you turn around while walking down 7th toward Brown’s Island. You get a good glimpse at its mass.

• Like 1