Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

^^Best photo I've seen of this tower so far.

Just as a quick survey question, would you guys rather they build the 2nd tower in place of One James River Plaza or keep it to maintain some kind of architectural diversity

(I only ask just for fun bc I know some people are saying Dominion is 100% going through with the 2nd tower)

• Thanks 1

While I agree that showing architecture through time displays a cities maturity and age, I don't think we should keep the old Dom building. The new tower, while having a lower floor count will likely be close to the same height, while at the same time engaging the street so much more. The current Dom tower is so isolated, elevated on a massive empty plaza of concrete. It makes the tower imposing and off putting to pedestrian traffic. I like the tower itself, but the complete lack of street level engagement makes for a poor urban environment. 

• Like 3

I also favor the new second tower. There is nothing worth keeping in the old tower (just my opinion) - out with the old, in with the new!  This is a new Richmond!!

I’m not opposed to keeping some old buildings, but this isn’t one of them. I’ll be glad to see it go. 

59 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Just want to throw my unsolicited idea out there that they should build a slimmer, taller tower on half the block to the west (between 6th and 5th) of the the new tower and keep 1JRP.

That ship has sailed.  Plus 1JRP looks like ass. 

• Haha 1

I’d be more inclined to say tear it down if the proposed replacement wasn’t such a turd. 

I really am loving the new building but a dumpier, smaller version beside it will only bring it down.  I’m not a fan of “shoes dyed  to match the dress” developments.  

A good friend of mine has a set of “one of a kind” chairs and I’m not even able to make eye contact with him when I’m in his living room.  The proposed second building is more embarrassing  than the existing...besides, how you gonna write out “Go Rams” in office lights if we lose this building?  :) 

• Like 2

If they had added a residential component, it could have really given it some height. That spot was one of the last spots fronting kanawha plaza that could have residential and maybe engage the plaza a little. Shame that such as squatty, office only building was built on such an iconic site. Maybe the parking garage on the lot behind it could be demolished and give way to a y’all, sleek and slender mixed use tower that is over 30 stories.

• Like 3