Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful shots of the skyline!  So nice to see the skyline getting really muscular.  If only the original plans for the Locks at 321 (Sun Trust) tower hadn't fallen through - imagine that gorgeous class structure also rising on the riverfront to join the Gateway Plaza and Dominion towers.  Holy moly that would be robust.

• Like 3

It’s a really great looking building up close but does nothing for the skyline (at night it should I guess). 

It just assumes the colour of everything around it.  It just kinda looks like a void most times of the day...like a  flounder lying on the bottom of the ocean, or in this case a slice in the skyline through which you see the sky. 

19 hours ago, Brent114 said:

It’s a really great looking building up close but does nothing for the skyline (at night it should I guess). 

It just assumes the colour of everything around it.  It just kinda looks like a void most times of the day...like a  flounder lying on the bottom of the ocean, or in this case a slice in the skyline through which you see the sky. 

I have to agree... it's hard to see from I-95 driving north, unless you're really looking for it.  If you're heading towards the river on the Downtown Expressway, you better not blink, otherwise you'll miss it.  Best views are either coming down the Expressway towards the city or coming across the Manchester & Lee bridges into the city.  Maybe when they build that second tower, it'll stand out some more.  I think it'd be nice if a few tall buildings were built on the other side of I-95.

1 hour ago, RVAbigdawg said:

I have to agree... it's hard to see from I-95 driving north, unless you're really looking for it.  If you're heading towards the river on the Downtown Expressway, you better not blink, otherwise you'll miss it.  Best views are either coming down the Expressway towards the city or coming across the Manchester & Lee bridges into the city.  Maybe when they build that second tower, it'll stand out some more.  I think it'd be nice if a few tall buildings were built on the other side of I-95.

The problem with the view from I-95 is the tower's proximity to the Federal Reserve.  It sits a considerable distance back making it appear shorter than it is from that angel. 

• Like 1

When you're in the Belle Isle, Brown's Island area the curve of the curtain wall does look beautiful. It picks up the light in different ways throughout the day and in changing conditions. I think it's a beautiful addition and with the second tower there should be a powerful dialogue between the two. I'm surprised they don't have any plans to add a skybridge between the two buildings. 

48 minutes ago, skycity said:

When you're in the Belle Isle, Brown's Island area the curve of the curtain wall does look beautiful. It picks up the light in different ways throughout the day and in changing conditions. I think it's a beautiful addition and with the second tower there should be a powerful dialogue between the two. I'm surprised they don't have any plans to add a skybridge between the two buildings. 

Someone here at my work recently told me there were plans to have a skybridge between the 2 towers. 

3 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

I'll be honest, echoing a bit of the other comments here. I'm a bit disappointed in the tower, now that it's reached height and the exterior is almost done, I thought that it would have a much better presence. But it just doesn't, you can barely notice it in the skyline. 

This is why it needed to be built taller.  The height would have allowed it to stand out more.

First pic is a great shot.  Look at the mix of architecture starting at the wheel then working your way towards 600 Canal.  

(Due to surrounding contrast of architectural styles, the black glass does look a little better.)

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...