Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be honest...I work in the MCV area, and from that vantage point, something is unsettling about the river-facing facade.  I know construction isn't complete, but at the crown, it just looks like a thin faceplate pasted onto a boxy tower that is so common here.  I'm hoping this will appear to have a little more bulk once construction is fully complete.  On the plus side, the silhouette viewed from the northwest looks really interesting right now. 

• Like 1

Yeah.  The “crown” has a very brick front with vinyl-sidded sides and back look. 

Looks great from the south (and the west)  but kinda janky from other sides.   I suspect that it will be kept open for easy access to lights.  Something bulkier with buttresses would have looked more cool.

still obviously a great addition even though you cannot even see it most times of the day lol.   The interior lights are looking really nice right now though.  There are about 5-8 floors now with golden light, looks like an infinity light box.  Lots of points of light all redoing off of the glass. 

Like this...

04969C4A-0AA1-43E8-8645-F603D0E4C909.jpeg

These kinds of open, lattice-work crowns are a trademark of Pickard Chilton buildings. Their office buildings seem to find beauty and refinement in their rational curtain walls and these crowns seem to be their way of disguising mechanical equipment. One of the earliest and most extreme examples is 1180 Peachtree in Atlanta  in which the building "falsely" continues in a giant swoop for a considerable distance after the top floor. 

Look through images of their work, and you'll see similar crowns: https://www.pickardchilton.com

I'm wondering if they intend to glass-in some more of the back of the crown on our building?

On 11/9/2018 at 6:46 PM, Brent114 said:

You can barely make the building out in this photo...

#camouflaged

0AF389E1-BF45-453A-9297-7DDE6C909D85.png

Did this photo get altered to give the appearance that the buildings are taller?   Look at the Federal Reserve in this pic.

Edited by Shakman

1 hour ago, cwd221 said:

Anybody know what is going on with the black part of the parking deck? Feel like they have been working on that area for weeks now. Is it some kind of sealant for the greenery they plan on putting up there?

It's part of the waterproofing system.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Doesn’t look stressful at all! 

17640D76-EF2A-4162-BBE7-50440F8F6C34.jpeg

Wonder if they'll put the Dominion logo on the other side of the building as well?

21 minutes ago, Hike said:

Was surprised it's coming down.  The area noted on the image, from their construction cam, looks incomplete.  Perhaps not seen other than from a webcam anyway so perhaps this is it or they'll get the material up another way if something is to be added.

The tower crane in the westend  for the Drury hotel at Shortpump  I64 exit at Broad is down yesterday/today too.

Dominions other tower was  out to bid in the last few weeks,  also have heard the the General Assembly will be  out to bid in March, so new replacement tower cranes soon enough.   I still think the VCU outpatient hospital will get another one, seems like it's too wide for just 1, just a guess though. 

Hourigan-Construction-Dominion-Workplace-Project-Camera-1_12_12_2018_9_34_01_AM.jpg

I wondered the same thing about that very top part being "open" like that.  Seems kind of strange to leave that part exposed like that, but I'm not in the construction business...