Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Nah!  Dominion Energy is just keeping us on our toes. Even if the worst happens and they don’t build their tower, that land is prime real estate - a perfect place for a signature tower from another company. I also believe the economy will come roaring back strong when the restrictions are lifted. The foundation of a robust economy is still there (unlike all other recessions), and will recover so much faster than any recession before.  I don’t buy into notion being thrown out there that the economy is going to get worse or that the economy won’t recover quickly.  It’s not based on much (or anything) and is just fear-mongering.

Don't count your chickens until they hatch. We don't know what's going to happen near-term or long-term economically. As much as it is easy to say that the dooms-day outlook is fear-mongering, it's also a fools-gold pie-in-the-sky approach to think that everything will be back to robust normal as if nothing had ever happened just because shelter-in-place gets lifted. NEITHER extreme is completely realistic on a lot of fronts. The reality is somewhere in between.

The better approach is to look at the fact that even with the pandemic, at least the current and/or announced projects have not yet been derailed which is a very good sign. Richmond's economy MAY actually be better suited in dealing with all of this than much larger cities simply because the pandemic's impact may not be as significant in Richmond as it is in real hot spots and epicenters like New York, Florida, California, etc.  Even with slowdowns, that the projects have not stopped and may not stop is a far better metric to base things on for the Richmond area than BOTH far-left AND far-right talking points that are little more than pointless piles of BS political garbage that really hold no water.

Regarding Dominion's property - who knows. I'm not overly optimistic that we will see a new tower rise there any time soon, even under "normal" conditions. Why? Dominion has built the one building that was bigger than their old headquarters. Even with personnel consolidation, etc., who knows how long it will be before they feel enough need to spend on a second building? A slower (not crashed but even just slow-ER) economy will not help move their needle off of zero any time soon. Do we see a parking lot for the next 20-30 years? I hope not! I don't think it will sit vacant for three decades (were this 20 or 30 years ago, then I'd say yes, for certain -- but there's been too much new construction immediately around that block. It's prime, developable land and SOMETHING is going to rise there at some point. Much may depend on whether Dominion wants to sit on the property or if a developer can swoop in and pry it from their cold, dead fingers.  

• Like 1

Result after the implosion.  Hard to believe that tall building is in that little pile of rubble:

Dominion Energy building after the implosion!

Dust is EVERYWHERE!

After the Dominion Energy Implosion - dust everywhere!

Dust is everywhere - after the Dominion Energy Tower implosion

A good link to implosion itself:

Probably the best angle right here:

https://reddit.app.link/35X7txepU6

Appreciate the coverage, and fascinating to see, but alas, without firm plans moving forward I find myself sort of melancholy over the prospect of subtracting from the skyline...will be a void in the skyline from the river...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Virginian11 said:

Appreciate the coverage, and fascinating to see, but alas, without firm plans moving forward I find myself sort of melancholy over the prospect of subtracting from the skyline...will be a void in the skyline from the river...

Especially with developable lots West.  I am not the biggest fan of that tower, especially with the similar yet better looking Fed in close proximity, but I would have much rather seen a residential reuse.  It was certainly a moment I am glad I experienced though.

Unfortunately, seeing all of the less planned destruction in Monroe Ward was more depressing.

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Virginian11 said:

Same here. My heart kinda sinks thinking of the hole in the skyline now. It would sure feel a LOT better if we knew there were firm plans for the second tower to rise there.

As much as I would hate to see 700 canal place never built in place of OJRP. I wouldn’t mind waiting a while to see if we can get a new tallest in Richmond it would really stick out in the skyline if we can get a tower taller then the James Monroe building. I’m thinking a building anywhere between 500 and 600 feet would look really nice there. Yes I know the demand would have to be there for it to happen and a lot would have to take place for it to happen. but it’s such a great spot for a new tallest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Downtowner said:

As much as I would hate to see 700 canal place never built in place of OJRP. I wouldn’t mind waiting a while to see if we can get a new tallest in Richmond it would really stick out in the skyline if we can get a tower taller then the James Monroe building. I’m thinking a building anywhere between 500 and 600 feet would look really nice there. Yes I know the demand would have to be there for it to happen and a lot would have to take place for it to happen. but it’s such a great spot for a new tallest.

That same thought ran through my mind yesterday as well. It might be worth it for it to sit undeveloped for a couple of years if the trade-off is instead of a 17-story building, a 50-plus-story 600-foot-plus tall signature tower. Prime location for the kind of tower that would define Richmond's skyline for generations to come.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Downtowner said:

If my time in Richmond has taught me anything, it's that the high-rise in the hand is worth two in the bush.  

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 7:47 AM, eandslee said:

Result after the implosion.  Hard to believe that tall building is in that little pile of rubble:

Hard to believe I actually worked in that building, looking at that dirt pile! Worked on the 17th floor. I remember when 9/11 happened and they told us all to evacuate. I took the stairs for fear of getting stuck in an elevator. Thought it would take me forever to run down 17 flights of stairs. Can't imagine what it must have been like for people to walk down 100 stories knowing their building was about to collapse.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jbjust said:

If my time in Richmond has taught me anything, it's that the high-rise in the hand is worth two in the bush.  

I think this means you think a 17+/- story 700 Canal is better then nothing ? Which to me would be encouraging about the prospects for the new tower. 

• Like 2

While nothing is assured in the world these days, I feel pretty confident Dominion is building that tower.   I wish they would move the people from the riverfront HQ to the new building, but it isn't realistic to think that the city would buy the riverfront buildings and demolish them (except for the parking deck) to improve river access.

On 6/2/2020 at 8:33 AM, Henrico Weather said:

Hard to believe I actually worked in that building, looking at that dirt pile! Worked on the 17th floor. I remember when 9/11 happened and they told us all to evacuate. I took the stairs for fear of getting stuck in an elevator. Thought it would take me forever to run down 17 flights of stairs. Can't imagine what it must have been like for people to walk down 100 stories knowing their building was about to collapse.

Longest stair-run I've ever had to do was a post 9/11 fire-safety-drill while working for a company on the 49th floor of a building in downtown Chicago. You'd think going DOWNstairs wouldn't be physically taxing... OMG... my legs were like rubber, my heart was pounding and I was sweating buckets. NOT a fun exercise. I think I sat in the Starbucks on the first floor nursing a frappuccino (or some other frozen coffee concoction) for about 45 minutes afterwards just to get my nerves back together!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, Shakman said:

Besides sitting behind a TV, who was where during the implosion?  I was at 3rd and Main.

Was at the war memorial.  Definitely glad to have experienced this, even if I hate losing it needlessly.

Walking around later in the evening I was amazed to see few signs of remaining dust.

Edited by Icetera
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Wonder if  the changes at the top of Dominion will impact their go/no go decision on the new tower?

That was the first thing I thought of when the announcement was made about the leadership change.  After I learned that Farrell was still going to be around, I doubt that anything changes right now.  If there is a change, I hope its that they are definitely going to build the tower - and not just build it, but build it taller.  Based on a RBS article I saw about a month ago, looks like Dominion Energy is selling its large property in Innsbrook (link: https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/07/23/dominion-energy-looks-to-sell-piece-of-innsbrook-real-estate-holdings/).  If that property is sold, where are all the workers who are in that building going?  I'd love to think they'd come downtown and work in the new tower driving the possibility of building a taller tower.  Perhaps I'm dreaming, but I can't help to think that it's a plausible scenario.  Also, can't help but think of the possible additional positions in Richmond based on Dominion's purchase of the energy company down in South Carolina.

That was the first thing I thought of when the announcement was made about the leadership change.  After I learned that Farrell was still going to be around, I doubt that anything changes right now.  If there is a change, I hope its that they are definitely going to build the tower - and not just build it, but build it taller.  Based on a RBS article I saw about a month ago, looks like Dominion Energy is selling its large property in Innsbrook (link: https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/07/23/dominion-energy-looks-to-sell-piece-of-innsbrook-real-estate-holdings/).  If that property is sold, where are all the workers who are in that building going?  I'd love to think they'd come downtown and work in the new tower driving the possibility of building a taller tower.  Perhaps I'm dreaming, but I can't help to think that it's a plausible scenario.  Also, can't help but think of the possible additional positions in Richmond based on Dominion's purchase of the energy company down in South Carolina.

While I hope the optimism is true, Dominion only put up the undeveloped land in Innsbrook for sale, not the whole complex.

"Richmond’s resident utility giant is breaking off a chunk of its holdings in Innsbrook in a move that could bring more multifamily development to the suburban office park.

Dominion Energy has listed for sale about 12 acres of undeveloped land it owns at its Innsbrook operations center at 5000 Dominion Blvd. in Henrico."

14 minutes ago, Icetera said:

While I hope the optimism is true, Dominion only put up the undeveloped land in Innsbrook for sale, not the whole complex.

"Richmond’s resident utility giant is breaking off a chunk of its holdings in Innsbrook in a move that could bring more multifamily development to the suburban office park.

Dominion Energy has listed for sale about 12 acres of undeveloped land it owns at its Innsbrook operations center at 5000 Dominion Blvd. in Henrico."

Good point.  I actually wondered what part of the Dominion property they put up for sale.  I instinctively thought it included the office building as well.  I guess not and if not, I think we might just be happy if they build what they had planned in the first place.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...