TBurban

Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

1 hour ago, Hike said:

Just remembered this webcam is still active, it's been redirected to point toward the old tower, which is being gutted  and prepared for the implosion.  Not an expert on imploding , so help me if I need an update, but what I remember is, they clear everything out of the building, all the way down to the skeleton or shell.  They'll then expose parts of the structure notching the columns, like you would a tree to help with the direction when falling, add in the nitroglycerin to do the rest.  It's a staggered and orchestrated ignition, I think they start at the top and sequentially move down to key locations that direct the building when it falls, allowing it to drop straight down.

https://public.workzonecam.com/projects/hourigan/dominionworkplace/time-lapse/archive?archiveId=Home

It's similar to what you have stated.  There are many different ways to implode a structure.  The purpose is to cause the structure to fall and collapse towards an intended direction.  Implosion is a complex method which takes many weeks of preparation and plenty of engineering.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, Shakman said:

It's similar to what you have stated.  There are many different ways to implode a structure.  The purpose is to cause the structure to fall and collapse towards an intended direction.  Implosion is a complex method which takes many weeks of preparation and plenty of engineering.

I wonder if they have to wrap or shroud the new building for projectile concerns. In a project I was involved in where explosives were used, there were seismographs placed in other near by structures for insurance purposes , using the data as a guide for any potential collateral damage.

10 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

They are working hard on demo prep. 

I know,  looking back,  it says first quarter 2020  for it to come down.  If I we're a betting person, I'd say a new tower is imminent.  Let's say it's built as is shown in the initial design, which I assume is still the plan.  I'm glad the building is turned.  Right now, Cary street  is no mans land with Dominion 1  & McQuire Woods pulled up tight to Kanawah Plaza.  The turn of the building, in the new proposed second phase, will engage with Cary and bring some size back to this side of the street.

dominionrendering.jpg

• Like 1

They are demolishing  the old tower’s concrete pedestal. I tried to get a pic driving by, but the fencing obstructed any good view of it.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 7:53 AM, Hike said:

I know,  looking back,  it says first quarter 2020  for it to come down.  If I we're a betting person, I'd say a new tower is imminent.  Let's say it's built as is shown in the initial design, which I assume is still the plan.  I'm glad the building is turned.  Right now, Cary street  is no mans land with Dominion 1  & McQuire Woods pulled up tight to Kanawah Plaza.  The turn of the building, in the new proposed second phase, will engage with Cary and bring some size back to this side of the street.

dominionrendering.jpg

The developers of Gateway Plaza couldn't get the owners to sell the piece of the lot closest to Cary Street...

• Thanks 1

That sliver of a lot is so annoying. Is it wide enough to do anything? I’d say you could build a residential sliver tower there but it would have views if nothing. Too narrow for anything else.  Assume the Massey’s are simply happy with their parking revenue. 

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

That sliver of a lot is so annoying. Is it wide enough to do anything? I’d say you could build a residential sliver tower there but it would have views if nothing. Too narrow for anything else.  Assume the Massey’s are simply happy with their parking revenue. 

I think they held out thinking they had more leverage than they did, when the smaller lots actually allowed the developer to make a more striking and vertical building.    I think having that parking lot as a buffer actually helps the parking garage empty out in the evening without unnecessarily backing up Cary Street traffic.  Plus also very nice to leave the original cobblestone street in place. 

• Like 2

Looking at that block, it's unfortunate that it will only be one superblock building.   Could easily fit 2-3 towers on that site.

• Like 4

The footprint of the tower will not be the whole block.  Though I agree; an office and hotel tower.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Looking at that block, it's unfortunate that it will only be one superblock building.   Could easily fit 2-3 towers on that site.

It's supposed to be 1 tower, which I'll gladly take,  it may be grass or perhaps we go back in time and get our surface parking lot back ....

3 minutes ago, Shakman said:

I agree; an office and hotel tower.

Yes, that's what I am thinking.  Or even better an office tower, underground parking, and either a dual brand hotel or half hotel/half apartment building (get some height).   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rjp212 said:

Yes, that's what I am thinking.  Or even better an office tower, underground parking, and either a dual brand hotel or half hotel/half apartment building (get some height).   

So, Dominion will just sell it?

This is a pipe dream of mine. Just seems like a missed opportunity to just do one large building to take up an entire block. Plenty of corporations team up with hoteliers to build hotels adjoining Corporate Centers.  Ritz in Charlotte was a cooperation with BofA.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

This is a pipe dream of mine. Just seems like a missed opportunity to just do one large building to take up an entire block. Plenty of corporations team up with hoteliers to build hotels adjoining Corporate Centers.  Ritz in Charlotte was a cooperation with BofA.

The Omni is a nice execution of that concept.

• Like 2

Wait, what?  Did I miss something?  Dominion Energy isn’t going to build their second tower...for sure?

15 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wait, what?  Did I miss something?  Dominion Energy isn’t going to build their second tower...for sure?

No, nothing yet on the decision, just guessing what's next. 

• Thanks 1