Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

30 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Interesting. 

I'd be curious to know if this block is the single most valuable city block of developable land in all of RVA. (Or at least in downtown). I'm reminded of how where the Gateway Plaza (across 8th Street from this parcel) sat dormant for DECADES, mainly because in order to make it developable, the city needed to reconfigure the streets and redirect traffic flow because of the diagonal southbound cut through to the Manchester Bridge from 8th. Thankfully, once the city did, we see the result - and personally, I absolutely LOVE the Gateway Plaza building. THIS block (site of the old OJRP) is even larger - and could EASILY support more than one tower. I hope and pray that whatever is developed here is not only tall but at least two buildings - and not a pedestal tower surrounded by open space (plaza, green or otherwise). FILL UP THE DAMN BLOCK WITH BUILDINGS!

I’d also like to add to your points that whatever’s built here, please be taller than what was there. The centering of this site, in the overall skyline, is important and if this turns into another short tower(s) like the east neighbor, a chance to impact the skyline could be lost.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hike said:

I’d also like to add to your points that whatever’s built here, please be taller than what was there. The centering of this site, in the overall skyline, is important and if this turns into another short tower(s) like the east neighbor, a chance to impact the skyline could be lost.

AMEN to that! From your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

I highly doubt Dominion, the owner of this land, is going to allow for a tower there to be developed. There's absolutely no chance Dominion is going to be shadowed by another building or even allow half of it to be "covered" / in the way by another building. 

It's hopeful thinking but you (Dominion) don't build a signature tower and then have the building next to you to deter the eyesight. Ain't happening, no way... especially when Dominion has 100% say here. 

• Sad 2

A couple of thoughts.
A. Didn’t realize the camera was still active.

B. Unless there’s some company HQ moving here for office development, which isn’t likely, or less likely anyway, will this be more high rise living for CoStar.

C. Is Dominion still the same company as it was when Tom Farrell was CEO, where they’d have the type of thoughts like described above about not wanting a building to outshine theirs.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I haven’t heard anything that indicates Dominion is planning to sell it. I had heard  they are reprogramming and an initial phase would not include a tower. Not sure where it will end up though. 

This was the latest article.  It's now behind a pay-wall, but they were seeking an RFP.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/04/18/dominion-issues-rfp-for-previously-imploded-downtown-site/

18 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Can someone explain to a newbie what RFP means here?

just did a quick search, was typing up my concept of what it is but this is better than that! I believe that if the term RFP is being used correctly by BizSense, that implies Dominion is seeking requests for a specific project, which makes me question, do they have a project already in mind, it doesn't seem to mean the lot is for sale.  

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/request-for-proposal.asp

Edited by Hike

8 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I haven’t heard anything that indicates Dominion is planning to sell it. I had heard  they are reprogramming and an initial phase would not include a tower. Not sure where it will end up though. 

As Chef Ramsay says: "Wow... what a shame..."

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, asies said:

I think we will see a mixed-use tower there. The only way a large office tower would go there would be if it was a headquarters or already had secured a significant tenant during the financing phase.  I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a tower that was a mix of apartments and maybe a hotel.

That would be ideal, tbh. I would hope for a multi-tower buildout. Again, fill up these blocks with buildings - don't just build a single tower in the middle of a city block and surround it with a concrete plaza or grassy nolls. How about 2 or 3 towers of varying heights - apartment/condo/hotel - maybe a sprinkling of some office space... and LOTS of retail, particularly on the Cary Street side, which would make the most sense at this point.

• 2 weeks later...