Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

Big yikes - Dominion to build city-block-sized electric vehicle charging park downtown

The dormant, leveled-out lot will now be transformed into a site that will include 28 electric vehicle charging stations, all to be powered by solar panel canopies and wind turbines. The park will also have energy storage in the form of batteries, and green space for public use.”

So pretty much a parking lot…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

It obviously isn’t the best location for it but I’m a bit intrigued.   If it’s funky and interesting (the Pompidou Centre of parking lots if you will LOL) it can be cool, I guess.  

I do always hate parks across the street from other parks but it seems kinda fresh and futuristic.   It’s taking a while to build so hopefully there’s something more to it than the Tesla charging stations outside of Targets.  Seems like it will be interesting/ educational (with signs explaining power generation). 

It certainly helps that CoStar is actually starting their building.  I’d be super bummed out with this news if there wasn’t momentum across the park form Dominion.

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BigBobbyG said:

Wow that is a terrible use of that space. There really wasn’t a better RFP submission then this? 

I wondered the same thing, did nothing come back from the RFP and they then turned to this idea or was this the RFP from the start. 

Other than the disappointment that it’s not a high rise on such a prominent site, having the charging stations is a big deal and are what’s required if we truly are going to convert to electric cars. It sure is quite an advertisement for them, right next to their HQ, charging stations imply that they are the future and we brought this to you. 

• Like 1

Yeah I mean I’m not opposed to the idea of such a park (though it’ll have to do quite a bit to convince me this isn’t a gussied up surface lot) but the location is what bothers me. Like this is one the prime spots in the central business district and they are putting in 28 electric charging stations? 

I’d have thought a concept like this would work better off grayland or one of their other properties. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, upzoningisgood said:

This project is probably the best example of the utility of a land value tax that I’ve ever seen. 

Is this because Dominion will update their lot with relatively low cost and the property will likely have high use, therefore, good yield with low investment, is that how this works?

2 hours ago, Brent114 said:

It obviously isn’t the best location for it but I’m a bit intrigued.   If it’s funky and interesting (the Pompidou Centre of parking lots if you will LOL) it can be cool, I guess.  

This is the Pompidou center, probably won’t be this but it could be interesting, I hope. Whiting Turner is no small GC and to do a e-parking lot, to me, seems unusual, so maybe it’s more interesting than it looks in the plan.

197D1772-AC01-48E4-8C62-996CE7F3916F.jpeg

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

A full-sized  windmill would be cool lol.

It has the potential to be interesting, well different.   I imagine it to be something of a discovery park with a renewable energy theme. A year and a half is a long construction timeline for a parking lot.  Something more has to be a part of the plan.   

2 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Oh, god...it is a giant parking lot D... that's such a boomer thing to do

boomer is a mentality, not an age, sorry!

Will they paint the logo over the blacktop? Doing things in plan are only visible from above, so it’s from an airplane, helicopter or their windows.

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we are not happy that there isn't a tower here but we are also happy that it's not a mid pit any longer.

This is clearly a temporary project honestly... sad to say that temporary may mean this decade however. 

Give us back those travel lanes or there will be hell to pay. 

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Just going to leave this here...

Is the logo thing tacky? 

I also think it’ll be hard to determine its representation unless you’re overhead.  So they’ll probably just look like elevated solar panels.

Edited by Hike