Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Is this related to this building? The article is dated 1980 but then it goes on to talk about things that happened in the 90's which is, of course, impossible. 

http://m.styleweekly.com/richmond/dominion-powers-expansion-plan-threatens-a-historic-stretch-of-waterfront-while-offering-little-in-the-way-of-energizing-downtown/Content?oid=1384650

Actually, I think this is a different location. Are there 2 expansions in the works?

That looks like a place-holder/default date and I estimate that article is from mid-2000.  I did not catch until now that they intend to renovate the riverfront compass, rather than include it in the new tower.  I was hoping for the added employees to the new tower plus potential residential reuse of the old.

29 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I don't think Dominion has plans to expand its riverfront campus, but I don't think their existing facilities will end up in the new building either. 

Ok. I'm slightly familiar with the area. Is the riverfront campus the same one they refer to as Innisbrook?

35 minutes ago, vdogg said:

Ok. I'm slightly familiar with the area. Is the riverfront campus the same one they refer to as Innisbrook?

No, Innsbrook is located out on the west side of town.  Dominion has some offices there as well as offices on the river not far from downtown's financial district.  That, of course, is in addition to the very visible tower they occupy downtown (among other offices downtown).  But Innsbrook and the riverfront campus are not the same place.

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Incidentally, the same designer of the Devon Tower in OKC will be, or is designing, the Dominion Resources tower.  Hate that tower or not, Richmond could end up with something very similar (I'm hoping so)!

http://www.pickardchilton.com/mobile/corporate.html

I don't mind the design it's just it sticks out way to much in the OKC skyline.

4 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I don't mind the design it's just it sticks out way to much in the OKC skyline.

+1

I remember approaching OKC on the 40 thinking it looked like a big middle finger. I'm not sure what it says about OKC; I think it just says that they have one really successful oil/energy company and maybe the rest of their economy is floundering. 

33 minutes ago, Blackbird Fly said:

+1

I remember approaching OKC on the 40 thinking it looked like a big middle finger. I'm not sure what it says about OKC; I think it just says that they have one really successful oil/energy company and maybe the rest of their economy is floundering. 

No way!  OKC has several towers taller than 30 stories and many successful companies...more than Richmond.  That's not what the Devon Tower is saying...I'm starting to think you guys are "hating."  Don't be hatin' folks!

^^ It does stick out though, which is not a bad thing at all, it should encourage taller building and a new height standard.

The location of this tower is a little unfortunate IMO because from Manchester Bridge it would still have to size up the Fed just to remain visible. It would be much more impactful when viewed at this angle:

448891.jpg

I want someone to configure what the tower would look like from the 95 bridge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Asace88 said:

Ask and ye shall receive.  I added the SunTrust building and a possible Dominion building into a photo shot from 95 North just south of the river.

Ric95N.thumb.jpg.d2512c4cccae0aca4e336e9

Looks very nice!  With the Monroe tower on the right, the height of the Dominion tower is not so pronounced.  Love it!  Awesome work Asace88!

Even though an announcement (although informally, I think) has been made that Clayco will build the new Domionion tower, there is no word of it on their (Clayo's) website.  You would think this would be there for a project of this magnitude.  Maybe there are waiting for formal renderings?

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

http://m.richmond.com/business/ap/article_61f5dbdc-ff8a-5e35-bcc0-f707da430643.html?mode=jqm

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or under the rva business thread but dominion has just acquired Utah based Questar. Could this possibly result in some employees moving to their future tower in RVA?

I'm not sure I understand what's going on...it said in the article that Dominion is acquiring Questar, but then it said that Questar will keep its headquarters in Salt Lake City.  What?!  If Dominion will now own Questar, how can its HQ still be in SLC?  Something isn't clear to me, but I get the feeling that this will probably not affect the number of people who will work in the new tower when it is built.  Sounds like the Questar folks will still work out of SLC, even though the company will be owned by Dominion Resources.  I think that's what's going to happen....

10 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm not sure I understand what's going on...it said in the article that Dominion is acquiring Questar, but then it said that Questar will keep its headquarters in Salt Lake City.  What?!  If Dominion will now own Questar, how can its HQ still be in SLC?  Something isn't clear to me, but I get the feeling that this will probably not affect the number of people who will work in the new tower when it is built.  Sounds like the Questar folks will still work out of SLC, even though the company will be owned by Dominion Resources.  I think that's what's going to happen....

Okay, this makes sense now.  From Virginia Business:

"Pending approvals, Questar will operate as a first-tier, wholly owned subsidiary of Dominion and maintain its significant presence, local management structure and headquarters in Salt Lake City."

So, it will be a subsidiary of Dominion and everything will remain the same except the company's ownership (Dominion will own it, but it will keep its name, operations location and HQ).  With that information, I can say with some level of confidence that there will be no additions to the number of people to work in Dominion's new tower.  They just increased their reach and improved their balance sheet.  All good news.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/dominion-resources-to-acquire-questar-corp.-for-4.4-billion

Found some renderings of Forum Studios master plan for the blocks between 6th and 9th(including gateway plaza) that shows a large office tower and a mid rise which could be an outline for what dominions skyscraper will be! While I wish the tower was taller, I do like the design of the buildings(I counted around 30 stories)

http://www.forumstudio.com/page/projects/projectlist/richmond-master-plan?e=mixed-use

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 3

Nooooooo!  These renderings look very legit!  They may be preliminary and hopefully this design is one which they've decided against!  A flat roof, only 30 stories...it can't be true!  It would be disappointing, but I'd take it. The thing that gives me pause is that these designs are not from the company that is supposed to do the design for this building. Perhaps this company didn't get the job because it was a design and concept that did not find favor with Dominion (hopefully, this is the case - fingers crossed). 

The Forum Studios is actually Clayco's in-house design company. I know that the new Dominion tower will be built by Clayco, but I don't think they are using their in-house design company (they are using Pickard Chilton Architects).  So, I'm not sure how "final" this design is, but looks like it could have been a contender!

Edited by eandslee

How tall do you guys think this is based on these early renderings? I counted around 30 as well with the parking  garage levels since it appears the parking is above ground. I couldn't get the slide that I  counted on to pause for so long while I counted so I had to do an estimate. 2 million square feet as a lot to add downtown but very cool none the least.

Edited by Downtowner

I count 31 floors (and I know it's a rough rendering). At the very least, I think Richmond is looking at the city's tallest. I think you guys may still be in the running for having the tallest building in the state. But I agree that if this is a near final design, it's a little surprising that's it's "only" looking to be 450-550 feet rather than 600-700 feet.

Honestly if it topped out at 550 feet I won't be sad at all. That would actually make me happy. Anywhere between 530-550 feet is fine with me and maybe go higher than that one day in the future. I just think we need to push and not limit ourselves to making every tower in rva less than 30 floors.

1 minute ago, HRVT said:

I count 31 floors (and I know it's a rough rendering). At the very least, I think Richmond is looking at the city's tallest. I think you guys may still be in the running for having the tallest building in the state. But I agree that if this is a near final design, it's a little surprising that's it's "only" looking to be 450-550 feet rather than 600-700 feet.

It looks around 515 but it looks like it has a 20-25 foot crown.

Very interesting. I would think from a phasing perspective that a larger tower would go where Richmond Plaza is located because so many folks would be displaced by One James River Plaza coming down. But who knows? This is a master plan so reality could vary. I'd also like to see some additional uses incorporated into the project like hospitality or multifamily ( separate tower(s) but part of the project). 

Also I counted about 32 floors in the taller tower and about 15 in the smaller one. My guess is 500' or so including the decorative roofline element. 

Edited by wrldcoupe4