Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

The other reason why I know this is not the final design is because Dominion would require the signing of a non-disclosure agreement of the final design until the design is made final and public. Since that hasn't happened yet, the Forum Studios would be in violation of that agreement if this were the final design. This is probably a good representation of what Diminion is looking for though. 

Are you guys really complaining about this? If you don't want it send it to Norfolk, we'll take it. :lol:  Keep in mind, 30+ floors can very easily result in a 500+ foot tower when dealing with office space. Especially when you account for that open air central section and that tall crown. The current rendering makes it look about 100ft taller than the current Dominion building which is around 400ft I believe. May be looking at a new states tallest from the looks of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I wouldn't mind seeing hotel in this development to be honest. I think a Hotel could be a big part of what this development could be missing.

No way you will ever see a hotel in a corporate headquarters, not in this day and age.  

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I wouldn't mind seeing hotel in this development to be honest. I think a Hotel could be a big part of what this development could be missing.

No way you will ever see a hotel in a corporate headquarters, not in this day and age.  

This design really seems to take the same design language of Gateway and the Locks.  

This design really seems to take the same design language of Gateway and the Locks.  

Yeah now that I think about it your right. The design does remind me of gateway and the locks tower. Very cool none the less. Just gotta wait on a final rendering when pickard chilton releases one. I hope other company's that movie into the city will build upon this new hopeful tallest and keep building taller even though I keep hearing people say the building codes for height in Richmond are strict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Yeah now that I think about it your right. The design does remind me of gateway and the locks tower. Very cool none the less. Just gotta wait on a final rendering when pickard chilton releases one. I hope other company's that movie into the city will build upon this new hopeful tallest and keep building taller even though I keep hearing people say the building codes for height in Richmond are strict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might because forum studios also designed gateway. These 2 buildings were designed to the in with gateway.

Meegell gave us the info on the architect, but I also thought I saw it in an article too (can't find it though).  Maybe you guys are right - this design might be THE design. This is kind of scary to me because if this tower is about 500 feet, why stop there just a few feet short of Virginia's tallest?!  Put a spire on that thing or something, but make it Virginia's tallest for pete's sake!

At this point, with the detail in the renderings and the fact that the website was taken down, I would say it is safe to assume that these are likely going to be the final plans or close to it.  

After digesting the plans there are two ways to look at this project:

1) Tower only- I admit I wanted something 650' and modern as much as anyone.  My gut reaction was disappointment in seeing something approximately 500' with a flat top.  However, after reviewing all of the images in detail before the site was taken down this project is much different when viewed as a whole.

2) Entire scope of project- When really looking at these plans this building has the potential to be one of the most unique projects in the mid-Atlantic.  Dominion stated that they wanted this building to be a "tower of the future".  They will certainly achieve that with this.  If you pay attention to the amount of green/plaza space combined between the two buildings it is clear that they are looking to create the feeling of a suburban, green campus in an urban setting.  The logistics for construction will be incredible to watch.  Can you imagine a 6" caliper specimen tree being craned up 200'+ in the air.  I've never seen a building feature green spaces halfway up the tower recessed into the structure.  

While at first glance this project may not seem as sexy and high profile as many of were hoping for, I believe once this is completed (if this is the final version) it will be an awe-inspiring complex.  It will, at the very least, be a strong addition to the skyline and the most unique building Richmond has ever seen.  A project of this caliper with the amount of green space and modern amenities that we should expect will likely garner awards spanning architecture, construction and landscape industries.

If this is what we are getting I will be one of it's biggest supporters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Asace88 said:

At this point, with the detail in the renderings and the fact that the website was taken down, I would say it is safe to assume that these are likely going to be the final plans or close to it.  

1) Tower only- I admit I wanted something 650' and modern as much as anyone.  My gut reaction was disappointment in seeing something approximately 500' with a flat top.  However, after reviewing all of the images in detail before the site was taken down this project is much different when viewed as a whole.

2) Entire scope of project- When really looking at these plans this building has the potential to be one of the most unique projects in the mid-Atlantic.  Dominion stated that they wanted this building to be a "tower of the future".  They will certainly achieve that with this.  If you pay attention to the amount of green/plaza space combined between the two buildings it is clear that they are looking to create the feeling of a suburban, green campus in an urban setting.  The logistics for construction will be incredible to watch.  Can you imagine a 6" caliper specimen tree being craned up 200'+ in the air.  I've never seen a building feature green spaces halfway up the tower recessed into the structure.  

While at first glance this project may not seem as sexy and high profile as many of were hoping for, I believe once this is completed (if this is the final version) it will be an awe-inspiring complex.  It will, at the very least, be a strong addition to the skyline and the most unique building Richmond has ever seen.  A project of this caliper with the amount of green space and modern amenities that we should expect will likely garner awards spanning architecture, construction and landscape industries.

I also love the project, however, it would be awesome to have about 2-4 more floors just to make it VAs tallest!!! However, I think this could help increase the walk ability along canal st. Also you can see this tower any entrance to the city. Could they possibly building some above ground parking to add some height to the tower?

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I also love the project, however, it would be awesome to have about 2-4 more floors just to make it VAs tallest!!! However, I think this could help increase the walk ability along canal st.

I'm in agreement with you Blopp, I do like the project...I just want it to be Virginia's tallest. I'd prefer that it not look so boxy too (do something decorative on top that is a bit more pointy).  Also the shorter tower could be taller if they had stacked the two box pieces on top of one another and made more green space. Some of the close-up views that were not saved before the site went down were really cool looking (I never closed out the site on my phone so the images are still scrolling!).  For example, I liked the projection screen thing on the parking deck of the smaller tower (had the wind turbines on it) I think that was really cool.  The open air feel of the building is very revolutionary for Richmond and would definitely make a statement. One thing is for sure, there was a lot of time spent on those renderings and looked to be more than just a basic/generic master plan. It's either this is the final design or it is a design that competed with others, didn't win out, and a final design will hopefully come forth soon.  Just make it taller than 508'.  Come on Dominion, pull through for us!

Finally, under this design, the shorter tower would likely be built first and then the taller tower after their old building is demolished and people moved over to the shorter tower (hard to call it a tower...just looks like a box).  Just my thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I'm in agreement with you Blopp, I do like the project...I just want it to be Virginia's tallest. I'd prefer that it not look so boxy too (do something decorative on top that is a bit more pointy).  Also the shorter tower could be taller if they had stacked the two box pieces on top of one another and made more green space. Some of the close-up views that were not saved before the site went down were really cool looking (I never closed out the site on my phone so the images are still scrolling!).  For example, I liked the projection screen thing on the parking deck of the smaller tower (had the wind turbines on it) I think that was really cool.  The open air feel of the building is very revolutionary for Richmond and would definitely make a statement. One thing is for sure, there was a lot of time spent on those renderings and looked to be more than just a basic/generic master plan. It's either this is the final design or it is a design that competed with others, didn't win out, and a final design will hopefully come forth soon.  Just make it taller than 508'.  Come on Dominion, pull through for us!

Finally, under this design, the shorter tower would likely be built first and then the taller tower after their old building is demolished and people moved over to the shorter tower (hard to call it a tower...just looks like a box).  Just my thoughts. 

I just looked at the crown again and it looks to be 20-25 feet tall while the tower itself looks to be 480-500. This would put it at almost the same height as the in VA beach. Also in the shorter building, I'm pretty sure one of the boxes is parking, however I'm not sure. Can you post the other pics eandslee?

2 hours ago, Asace88 said:

Where did the  "tower of the future"  quote come from?

greenspace recessed up the tower at BG building:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, meegwell said:

Where did the  "tower of the future"  quote come from?

greenspace recessed up the tower at BG building:

image.jpeg

See, I love the look of this building!  It's tall and it has a curve to it making it stand out more than just the shape of a box.  I wish this Dominion project would have a curve like that and just a bit more height.  If that were the case, I could live with the flat roof!

• Like 1

Ask and ye shall receive!

Here are some of the other renderings that were NOT saved and posted before.  I still had the website up on my phone (I never closed it out) and therefore still had access to these pics.  I had to take photos of the images as they scrolled, but I got them!  Enjoy!

image.png

image_1.png

image_2.png

image_3.png

• Like 3

I'm going to pull a lot of punches for this, but I actually kind of like One James River Plaza and would rather see it stay and have the new tower go on the current Richmond Plaza site. It would be better to have two tall ones than that really tall one and that stump. The current building could be converted to something (residential maybe idk) and maybe they can build around the base in place of that desolate plaza.

But for some reaosn, I feel kind of regretful that a nice International Style building has to go, it complemented the Fed pretty well.

But otherwise, I really have no complaints, we should feel fortunate to have such an exciting development to follow now. The best days are still ahead of us.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I'm going to pull a lot of punches for this, but I actually kind of like One James River Plaza and would rather see it stay and have the new tower go on the current Richmond Plaza site. It would be better to have two tall ones than that really tall one and that stump. The current building could be converted to something (residential maybe idk) and maybe they can build around the base in place of that desolate plaza.

But for some reaosn, I feel kind of regretful that a nice International Style building has to go, it complemented the Fed pretty well.

But otherwise, I really have no complaints, we should feel fortunate to have such an exciting development to follow now. The best days are still ahead of us.

That's like saying that it would be better to have 2 30 story towers than a 45 story skyscraper and a 15 story building. I do like the style of the building however, it was just designed very poorly. The entire base of the tower would need to be torn down and replaced which would cost a decent amount(not to mention the renovation of the building itself. I would much rather keep the fed building and maybe expand that someday.

4 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

That's like saying that it would be better to have 2 30 story towers than a 45 story skyscraper and a 15 story building. I do like the style of the building however, it was just designed very poorly. The entire base of the tower would need to be torn down and replaced which would cost a decent amount(not to mention the renovation of the building itself. I would much rather keep the fed building and maybe expand that someday.

Where do they expect to house all the current employees if they tear down 1JRP?

If they are definitively tearing it down, then I change my stance and I'd rather the new highrise be made even taller as leverage. If the overall height of both new buildings are raised, then it's all well and good. Example, that stumpy building should at a minimum, be of the same height as the current Richmond Plaza building site it sits on. 

23 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

That has been my big reservation as well.  I hate to see an existing tower needlessly demolished.