Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

I don't know...talk about sticking out like a sore thumb - if this thing turns out the way described in the poem, then this will be the epitome of sticking out like a sore thumb!  Which is worse, having a super tall tower in relation to the rest of downtown or a huge glass round behemoth surrounded by all square buildings?

7 hours ago, Blackbird Fly said:

It could end up looking like two of these with different heights. If so, they would make great additions to the skyline!

image.jpeg

I agree, this would look pretty good. Not sure what is meant by an "ellipse" in the poem, but if that means that it looks something like this, it would be good.  Now we just have to work on the height.  25 stories isn't that great and wouldn't come close to the state's tallest, which is what I was hoping for. 

Edited by eandslee

Not a fan at all of @hikendesign's description of the buildings. It's not that I don't like the eclipse design. It's more that it would take up 2 blocks when it could only take up 1. This seems like a waste of space to build 2 towers around 25 stories on 2 blocks when they could just build a taller tower or make both towers on only 1 block.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, jbjust said:

I definantely wish they were taller but I LOVE THE DESIGN!!! These buildings will definantely change the skyline for the better. Even though they aren't the 40-50 story monsters that we wanted, I still take them. Plus with the demolition of the current dominion building, it won't mean that we will have an extra vacant office building. The only thing that sucks is that we will most likely have to wait another 10-15 years for a large signature tower

2 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I can't say that this is exactly what I was hoping for, but the article did say it would be 506 feet tall, so it should still make an imapct. 

NOOOOOOOOOO! That's only 2 feet shorter than the VA beach Westin!!!!! Could they maybe make it 3 feet taller?

yep, I'm really disappointed in this, what happened to building a new signature tower and "enhancing" the skyline, you probably won't be able to see this from the interstate... I'll be surprised if the new tower reaches 400 feet based on the elevation of the site; average elevation of the site is about 110-120 feet, so yeah, this is not going to be very tall...

10 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

yep, I'm really disappointed in this, what happened to building a new signature tower and "enhancing" the skyline, you probably won't be able to see this from the interstate... I'll be surprised if the new tower reaches 400 feet based on the elevation of the site; average elevation of the site is about 110-120 feet, so yeah, this is not going to be very tall...

seriously! And they said they wanted to enhance the skyline. If they really wanted to "enhance" the skyline, they would at least build a tower that would be the tallest in the city. Very dissapointed and who knows how long we will have to wait in order to get a tower that even passes the Monroe building. This is just pathetic for a company of this size.

13 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

seriously! And they said they wanted to enhance the skyline. If they really wanted to "enhance" the skyline, they would at least build a tower that would be the tallest in the city. Very dissapointed and who knows how long we will have to wait in order to get a tower that even passes the Monroe building. This is just pathetic for a company of this size.

To be fair, they are a public utility in most respects and building a flashy skyscraper isn't the best signal to send if you depend on the state government to decide if you're making too much money...

16 minutes ago, jbjust said:

To be fair, they are a public utility in most respects and building a flashy skyscraper isn't the best signal to send if you depend on the state government to decide if you're making too much money...

true, can't argue against that point; it's just the build up to it, they made it seem like it would be much more.

1 minute ago, drayrichmond said:

true, can't argue against that point; it's just the build up to it, they made it seem like it would be much more.

They were very misleading when first giving out the info. They made it seem like it was going to be a monumental skyscraper that would forever change the city skyline. I'm more frustrated because this was the only real chance for a REAL skyscraper to be built downtown until the vacancies have been filled( who knows how long that will be).

• Like 1

What a complete dud.  I agree with everyone else's points above.  It's almost like the moment in Titanic where the quartet stops playing and they bid each other good night after they realize that the ship is definitely going down.  Very disappointing.

...and then relate the height to sea level...how shady.  Like putting lipstick on a pig (a nice looking glass pig, but a pig nevertheless).

Edited by eandslee

1 minute ago, hikendesign said:

Bummed about the height for sure.  It does look nice, we'll get used to it and it's certainly better than the existing vacant building.  Let's hope they build both, what would it look like with the new next to the old existing building.  

Anyone got Photoshop?

Edited by blopp1234

5 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

If both are built, the gap between them sure does present itself as the perfect foreground for a tall high rise beyond.  Think of the 40 story tower if it was built beyond, the residential project that got bumped, that would look sweet together.  Maybe something will eventually go there.

Hopefully, the one advantage I see from building a shorter tower is the possibility of a taller high rise behind it. The problem is, it couldn't be an office tower unless a large company moves here and wants their own tower.