Ideas for Creating Culture, Temporary and Permanent, in Charlotte

In another thread they were talking about Charlotte vs. Nashville, and music, and culture. I was thinking, since most of what't been discovered to be a staple in whatever city, I just think that Charlotte could be a city known for its murals, instillation art pieces, and being very green. But when I say that I mean it would be time for local artists to kick it up some notches and beautifying this  city even more. The idea is not far fetched because Charlotte already have these things, but what if it could be like one big art museum all around the city. Like unique street signs, murals on wall all over nicely placed, nice art crosswalks, more unique statues around major developments and highways. Even art around the

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ertley said:

Speaking of murals, one specific idea I've had for a while involves murals and/or installation pieces for Elizabeth, specifically. To not only 'brand' the neighborhood, but introduce art and provide a (teensy) bit of cultural and historical knowledge--with a feminist bent. A series of murals/installations of famous Elizabeths throughout the Elizabeth neighborhood could be tourist draws, and liven up the relentless red brickness-of the CPCC and Novant/Presbyterian areas, while demarcating where the (commercial) boundaries of the neighborhood are.

From English history: Elizabeth I (who was queen when North Carolina was first settled) and Elizabeth II (obvs presently the queen)--at significant entrance points--Charlotte is the Queen City, and making the connection to those two continues that larger theme... 
From American popular culture: Elizabeth Taylor (and maybe Liza Minnelli and/or Elizabeth Montgomery?)--perhaps coming from/seen from the Metropolitan area
From Medicine/history (re: Novant/Presbyterian): Elizabeth Blackwell 
National politics/history/medicine (as early breast cancer advocate): Betty Ford--both of the preceding by Novant/Presbyterian 
From North Carolina/Politics: Elizabeth Dole (and Elizabeth Edwards, or too problematic?)
From National politics/history: Elizabeth Cady Stanton--these two/three in the CPCC area??

There are others that can/should be added--these are just off the top of my head.

These could be painted as large murals on sides of buildings, but I also think commissioning artists to create pieces that are three dimensional or two dimensional (multimedia, stained glass) on their own platforms would be great, to also make it have an artsy feel. I agree--on the Elizabeth thread (maybe I'll copy this over there) that the area would be great for expanded walkable retail. 

(I also think neighboring Cherry should have a similar effort, with actual cherry trees planted as well as a cherry motif on streetlights, etc.)

I really like this idea, and shouldn't be to difficult too implement. 

I do wonder about SouthPark???

Edited by stw52
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking. Maybe something Charlotte could do would be to just even play a little bit with colorful skyscrapers. Sure cities like Charleston, New Orleans, and Savannah have pink houses and low rise structures, but none of them have a pink high-rise like Charlotte. There are enough silver buildings dominating the skyline. Maybe if there were some  really bold colorful high-rises  to break them up, it would add more life and flare to uptown. I think Orange should be the next one. :tw_wink:

Related imageRelated image

Edited by j-man
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, j-man said:

I was just thinking. Maybe something Charlotte could do would be to just even play a little bit with colorful skyscrapers. Sure cities like Charleston, New Orleans, and Savannah have pink houses and low rise structures, but none of them have a pink high-rise like Charlotte. There are enough silver buildings dominating the skyline. Maybe if there were some  really bold colorful high-rises  to break them up, it would add more life and flare to uptown. I think Orange should be the next one. :tw_wink:

I like this idea. I cant wait for neon green and lightning yellow towers to  spring from the skyline 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I remember a discussion about the lack of a large urban park downtown and potential locations. Most people focused on Memorial Stadium as a good contender. i've always thought that the rail yard north of downtown would make a great park. It is over 200 acres, right on the light rail, next to NoDa, and would dramatically accelerate development along N Tryon. I had heard that the intermodal yard at the airport was supposed to replace this one. Anyone know what the long term plans for this site are?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

The Intermodal Yard was basically truck transfers from rail lines.  These rail lines are not going away, but the trucks did.  My understanding is that there were around 500 trucks a day that would go in and out of Brevard.

Edited by DMann

Is it not kosher to suggest we dig up everybody in Pinewood Cemetery and turn it into an awesome urban park?? I mean how big of a waste are cemeteries, and you probably won't get much pushback from its current residents..  We can throw a big Halloween party each year in their honor

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, JHart said:

Is it not kosher to suggest we dig up everybody in Pinewood Cemetery and turn it into an awesome urban park?? I mean how big of a waste are cemeteries, and you probably won't get much pushback from its current residents..  We can throw a big Halloween party each year in their honor

It's already been done in part.   I-77 bisected Pinewood many years ago during construction. You may or may not have noticed the remainder of the cemetery on the western side of I-77 beside JC Smith.  Rumor has it not all the graves were marked and found, meaning you're probably driving over a few graves when you travel 77

• Thanks 2

I think this is old news to some extent, but I saw this article from a few days ago and find it interesting.

https://cities-today.com/charlotte-circular-economy/amp/

"Charlotte is vying to become the first city in the US to implement a new circular economy model that has been designed to turn waste into an US$111-million business opportunity.

Launched last year under the banner of the Circular Charlotte initiative, the model is based on the findings of a report commissioned by the city council entitled Circular Charlotte: Toward a Zero Waste and Inclusive City. The report recommends that a comprehensive waste diversion strategy be developed after data showed that only 11.5 percent of materials in the waste stream were being recycled or reused."

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 2:01 PM, rockhilljames said:

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I remember a discussion about the lack of a large urban park downtown and potential locations. Most people focused on Memorial Stadium as a good contender. i've always thought that the rail yard north of downtown would make a great park. It is over 200 acres, right on the light rail, next to NoDa, and would dramatically accelerate development along N Tryon. I had heard that the intermodal yard at the airport was supposed to replace this one. Anyone know what the long term plans for this site are?

There is so much potential in this site, but I don't see it ever being purely a park.  Someone would need a lot of money to get Norfolk off that site and would need to develop a lot of it to make it up