Ideas for Creating Culture, Temporary and Permanent, in Charlotte

I REALLY REALLY REALLY love what Crescent is doing with the Goodyear building while the Tryon Place development is finalized and readied. I really hope to see something like this happen in the Gold District after Tryon Place starts and the Goodyear building is demo'd. They are doing the exact kind of thing I never thought possible in charlotte, when I moved to Brooklyn. 

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9075.JPG

OH SWEET, Update to this...

Screen_Shot_2015-08-26_at_11.43.16_AM.th

what exactly is happening? An art crawl or something?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't recall if this was the thread where somebody suggested blocking off a street next to Bearden.....anyway, today Mint is blocked between Bearden and BB&T for a BBQ thingy, with BBQ trucks and food trucks lining both sides.  Additional tent seating was set up in the park.  It was awesome.  Could totally see Food Truck Fridays for lunch uptown.  Best might be the street between Bearden and Ascent, or maybe the street in front of Catalyst and Element (for shade in the summer).

I don't recall if this was the thread where somebody suggested blocking off a street next to Bearden.....anyway, today Mint is blocked between Bearden and BB&T for a BBQ thingy, with BBQ trucks and food trucks lining both sides.  Additional tent seating was set up in the park.  It was awesome.  Could totally see Food Truck Fridays for lunch uptown.  Best might be the street between Bearden and Ascent, or maybe the street in front of Catalyst and Element (for shade in the summer).

I'll take my Royalties now, thanks.

Street art doesn't mean culture, per se, however the artwork that Matt Hooker and Matt Moore are doing in Charlotte is fantastic. They're singlehandedly reimagining the Charlotte urban landscape one building/wall at a time and I cannot wait to see what they have planned next.image.thumb.jpg.9023bb226c54611bb70786d6

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

You know what guys. I've decided I'm going to start exploring how to start a permanent shipping container village at 3rd and South Church fronting Romare Bearden in front of Ink and Ivy in the parking lot. Anyone have any ideas. I'm going to try to put together a proposal to take to Center City Partners this fall. 

Edited by Guest

I think one of the biggest issues you're going to have is dealing with the slope of the lot, looking at google street view you can see the lot slopes pretty significantly down Third.  This is going to play a big role in how you lay out the containers.  Then, once you come up with a layout and figure out what types of uses you will have there, you'll need to determine what type of services these uses will need such as trash, water, sewer, etc.  For example, if you have a restaurant interested in a space, will they need access to a dumpster?  If so, will this dumpster be on site with the containers or will they have to negotiate a deal with an adjacent property to use their dumpster?  

My suggestion would be to leave about 50% of the space open for outdoor dinning, vendors (farmers market type stuff), public space, etc.  The containers can be used for retailers looking to break out into the uptown market, maybe only allowing them to rent for one year to prove that uptown can handle that type of retail then switch it out on a yearly basis.  If the retailers find that uptown is a market worth staying in then they could move on into a more permanent location. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You know what guys. I've decided I'm going to start exploring how to start a permanent shipping container village at 3rd and South Church fronting Romare Bearden in front of Ink and Ivy in the parking lot. Anyone have any ideas. I'm going to try to put together a proposal to take to Center City Partners this fall. 

Yes, yes yes, YES! YES!

The Boxparks in London (Shoreditch and Croyden) have gotten awfully formal and not hugely different than chain retailers nearby -- they just no longer feel unique or unusual. My favorite local example is Pop Brixton https://www.popbrixton.org/

it has a more of a popup vibe where the food retailers have 'residences' and it has a couple of containers that serve as bar spaces (there are several hard goods retailers scattered about in the corners).  The best part about it is the wooden deck setup they have above the retailers below for dining and drinking space, the roof they have for it is actually electrical conduit supporting heavy gauge bubblewrap -- while I bet Sealed Air might make a donation I would think the building inspectors would have apoplexy about it.

If you can work through all the code issues this would be fantastic (and a really nice complement to Latta Arcade)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Still working on this, but this would be my idea on how to orient the lot. These would all be 8x20 containers that could be repurposed widthwise to double the square footage.

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 2.27.28 PM.png

Edited by Guest

44 minutes ago, kermit said:

Yea, bigger. Including bridging to one of the units against 3rd and some seats looking over church.

Think trashy burbon street balcony (I mean that in a good way)

Maybe i'll do a couple options

2 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

I seen shipping containers used in London as places to live.

Theres a couple spots in brooklyn too. One of the developers I've spoken to about this container idea wants to do retail topped with residential shipping containers. I just don't know who would buy a place uptown with 0 included parking. 

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just don't know who would buy a place uptown with 0 included parking. 

Lots of folks if the price is right.

It would almost certainly be cheaper for tenants to pay to park off site than to have the cost of structured parking rolled into their rent/mortgage. But it certainly is a marketing obstacle that someone will need to overcome. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rockhilljames said:

looks good. ramps, not stairs.

It'd start at grade. and Cascade down So no need for a ramp, since you could enter at grade from Church St. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 11.54.12 AM.png