Ideas for Creating Culture, Temporary and Permanent, in Charlotte

10 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

If that happened we would have blackouts for weeks because Charlotte would immediately tear down and dig up all existing power lines to put in beige ones

Could we astroturf them with fake moss. Make it look like Tarzan's highway?

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Public Art in Charlotte's Historic South End

Links:  (1)  https://historicsouthend.com/public-art/       (2)  http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Your-Pocket-Guide-to-South-Ends-Public-Art/

Willie for President - Alison Hamil

Willie for President, Alison Hamil - Visit Website 2 511 South Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28203 -- Mac’s Speed Shop commissioned artist Alison Hamil to paint this patriotic Willie Nelson mural in 2017.  The mural is located the venue’s outdoor seating area for patrons to enjoy.

Mexican Mermaid (Karla) - Sharon Dowell

Mexican Mermaid (Karla), Sharon Dowell - Visit Website, 1999 Hawkins St, Charlotte, NC 28203  --  The large-scale, purple-haired mermaid (affectionately “Karla”) soars above Hawkins Street.  She was painted by artist Sharon Dowell in 2018 for The Design Center of the Carolinas, made possible by a commission from Asana Partners.  Karla adds an element of punk and adventure to a previously blank brick wall.  Dowell enjoys bringing her work to public spaces because she believes it makes art less intimidating and helps integrate creativity into daily life.

160129_duke_003.jpg?ver=1534439440

Duke Substation & Beacon Tower Illumination, Rail Trail  -  Photo Credit: Sean Busher 

• Like 4

Charlotte pride is this weekend. I know it's not something specific or special to CLT but I guarantee you there is plenty of diverse culture happening here. It's not just a bank town and it's not "sterile" like some people call it.

So much positivity and joy today along tryon. Even the biggots yelling at people were simply ignored or smothered with chants of "we love you," which is a pretty awesome way to drown out hate if you ask me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Charlotte has a growing culture. People are moving from all around the globe to come here for a better life. Charlotte's a young city, It's still trying to figure out who it is. Give it another 5-10 years and our culture will be even more developed. Most people living here are open minded and welcoming. Charlotte isn't as conservative or sterile as outsiders like to think it is. Who knows what our culture will be, Maybe it will be the melting pot of the Southeast, Wall Street South? Who knows?! Looking at the #CLTPride hashtag on twitter made me realize how great of a city Charlotte is and I'm never going to tolerate another person stating Charlotte has little to no culture again, Vote for me 2020!

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Charlotte Five"5 of the coolest pieces of pubic art to notice in Charlotte parks," by Jillian Mueller, September 14, 2018 -  Free

The Shuffletown Hand  -   Artist: Pete Beeman

Art-in-the-Park-Shuffletown-Hand--e1535472940712.jpg

Art in Shuffletown Sportsplex. Photo by Arts and Science Council,  Location: Shuffletown Sportsplex, 9500 Bellhaven Blvd. 

Aquifer  -  Artist: Masayuki Nagase

Art-in-the-Park-Little-Sugar-Creek-Greenway.jpg

Art in Little Sugar Creek Greenway. Photo by Arts and Science Council,  Location: Little Sugar Creek Greenway  

Jillian Mueller   Jillian Mueller is a freelance writer, artist, and policy grad student at UNCC.

Follow her on instagram @jillianfaithm. Website: www.jillianfaithm.com.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

10th Annual Charlotte Film Festival:  Wed. September 26  - Sun. September 30

Image result for image of old timey hollywood motion picture camera            Image result for image of old timey hollywood motion picture camera

"Charlotte Film Festival provides a cultural hub for established and emerging film-artists to showcase their works to the region's top producers, peers, investors and viewers. As a festival, we are committed to providing an environment that spotlights the next generation of local, regional, nationals and international independent filmmakers.  The Charlotte Film Festival is a celebration of the most relevant independent movies available from around the world. "

Location:  Ayrsley Grand Cinemas, 9110 Kings Parade Blvd., Charlotte (Just off I-485 at S. Tryon Street / NC Hwy 49)

Edited by QCxpat
add location address
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Trickbot said:

One question I have about this thread is what is temporary culture? Culture is something that is made over a long period and isnt some temporary thing. So how do you create temporary culture?

I think the answer to your basic question is things like pop-up markets, murals, anything that isn't a permanent fixture of a city.

To answer your broader comment, I think it is that our "Culture" (Bic C) is so starved for any meaningful expression or experience of itself that we are grasping at anything that may suffice.

If we were really trying to create culture, then in our (big C) Culture we would do business and development differently.

Anywhere that is poor or struggling econominally in any way absolutely has "culture," it is just not acknowledged by the mainstream power culture as valid, because it does not produce the right types, or quality, of products or services (which, they can't, because of the mainstream Culture).

South Park, Ballantyne, anywhere that is doing well economically, they all absolutely have "culture," it is just perceived as sterile or not meaningful because our human instincts can tell something is missing. Our instincts are right.

Is it really as simple as not having a pedestrian-friendly environment? It's easy to think that way, because it obviously doesn't help. But no, otherwise downtowns and urban areas across the nation would have remained healthy. And there are (pejoratively named) "Wealthy Urban Ghettos" in every big city on every continent. It's because the entire system that makes any of those places "successful", while making other areas not so, does so by completely depriving our human nature of real meaning and compassion in pursuit of the man-made Dollar; it then creates comfort and security as by-products to protect its hegemony.

We all crave authentic connections and community, spiritual nourishment, it's why we all want our cities to grow so much, so we can get new opportunities for these very necessary things. But we must not forget the system we're all following is Capitalistic and White Supremacist in nature. What this means on the ground, no matter who you are, is that anyone who doesn't subscribe to the right way of living and doing business suffers. Those of us who play the game well enough, or, who came into the game in the right circumstances, are allowed to gain material comfort and an engineered sense of security, but, we ultimately risk forfeiting our own sense of human purpose and connection considering all of the ethical gymnastics we must do to justify it along the way. This causes us to be spiritually barren, and so we crave connection in any way we can: a coffee shop here, an brewery there, and a pop-up vender market around the corner. They all help, but they are just going along with the same bankrupt system.

I don't know how we fix it, but I'm sure that acknowledging it, so that we don't chase down empty efforts, helps.

:ph34r:

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Thanks 3

In my experience, Charlotte is a college kid. He's experimenting with a lot of Cultures, But he just hasn't found the right one. So for now Charlotte has a lot of minor cultures, But no obvious cultural scene, Yet. It takes time, Charlotte is a relatively new city and as more people move here, The more diversity will come. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

In my experience, Charlotte is a college kid. He's experimenting with a lot of Cultures, But he just hasn't found the right one. So for now Charlotte has a lot of minor cultures, But no obvious cultural scene, Yet. It takes time, Charlotte is a relatively new city and as more people move here, The more diversity will come. 

I have to agree with that.  Had none of the population explosion happened here over the past 30 years, I think that Charlotte would still be a mid-sized southern town with all of that charm that comes with it.  The influx of said cultures from the Northeast, Midwest and West have brought us to where we are now.  It is a mini melting pot of the US.  Everyone that has moved here pines for some of the "neat" things they left behind and wants to recreate it here.  But it goes head to head with the strong way of life that has been a southern staple for a very long time.  I still think that Charlotte still holds a lot of its southern charm much more than say Atlanta does.  If we (collective) are not steadfast, from a cultural standpoint, we will lose the interesting nuance that is all things southern, and we are just another big city.  It has been extremely interesting watching from afar and now living here over the past 30 years or so and seeing this city evolve.  I am excited at what is to come, and am somewhat strained at what is ahead too (i.e. overcrowding, congestion, pollution).  The biggest thing is that we can't force the square peg in the round hole.  We just need to let it evolve and roll with it!

• Like 1

Why does no one in Charlotte ever hire Boxman for public-facing projects like this? Does our zoning make it impossible?

seems like Daniel Levine should be required to set up one of these every week that Levineland lies fallow.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Why does no one in Charlotte ever hire Boxman for public-facing projects like this? Does our zoning make it impossible?

seems like Daniel Levine should be required to set up one of these every week that Levineland lies fallow.

been thinking about cashing in my condo, selling stocks, saving up some money, selling my wife, and developing one of these.