Ideas for Creating Culture, Temporary and Permanent, in Charlotte

19 hours ago, elrodvt said:

How's the fake living wall doing on the garage for the condos next to Romare?

I love this idea. I imagine the same plants wouldn't work here?

Listen.......lmao I dont know what they were thinking but  I can barely see anything other than blue on that building. But if this was added onto that parking garage on Ascent. It would look really nice.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, j-man said:

Listen.......lmao I dont know what they were thinking but  I can barely see anything other than blue on that building. But if this was added onto that parking garage on Ascent. It would look really nice.

Let me guess - "some idiot in the city wants green. How cheaply can we do that?"

Actually the history of the Riverwalk in San Antonio is even more interesting.  You are seeing a flood control project that became world renown and it was just a ditch before they fixed it up after several floods that flooded downtown SA.  Another thing if you ever fall into the SA River in downtown just stand up you won't drown it is only 2-3 feet deep!  

Like the huge carousel idea along with a sky wheel aka ferris wheel to check out the skyline.  I am attracted to those like a moth to a lamp though I have never been on the Myrtle Beach one though. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Actually the history of the Riverwalk in San Antonio is even more interesting.  You are seeing a flood control project that became world renown and it was just a ditch before they fixed it up after several floods that flooded downtown SA.  Another thing if you ever fall into the SA River in downtown just stand up you won't drown it is only 2-3 feet deep!  

Like the huge carousel idea along with a sky wheel aka ferris wheel to check out the skyline.  I am attracted to those like a moth to a lamp though I have never been on the Myrtle Beach one though. 

That would be fantastic. Having a sky wheel and carousel together would be a huge plus for uptown.

The sky wheel in Myrtle is actually amazing. You don't realize how truly tall it is until you're in it. Just another thing of culture that Myrtle has that Charlotte doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That is fascinating .  I read an article a bit back about how Charlotte has been a great example of buying up land likely to flood, but turning that into an attraction is next level.  Where the Cross-Charlotte Trail we are discussing in another thread intersects with greenways could be a model.  Funding is needed though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

If you fall in that water you're gonna die from something.

29 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

That is fascinating .  I read an article a bit back about how Charlotte has been a great example of buying up land likely to flood, but turning that into an attraction is next level.  Where the Cross-Charlotte Trail we are discussing in another thread intersects with greenways could be a model.  Funding is needed though.

Evidently something like 10x predicted finding is needed. Can't let it go. :-)

• Haha 3

On 10/7/2018 at 8:42 PM, cityboi said:

Charlotte planning iconic pedestrian art bridge over I-77. I prefer design 1. Its more dramatic

Charlotte Planning Massive "Iconic" Pedestrian Bridge Over Independence Blvd and I-77 - Charlotte Stories

Design 1 

pedestrian-bridge-over-Independence2.jpg

Design 2

pedestrian-bridge-over-Independence6.jpg

Design 3

pedestrian-bridge-over-Independence5.jpg

It all sounds wonderful, but shouldn't that "iconic" bridge in Charlotte feature a crown somewhere?

• 4 weeks later...

So guys. Amongst us we have dozens of creative people, architects, and a whole crap ton of people who LOVE this city. 

Why haven't we ever come up with a concept to pitch to the city for a "Placemaking grant." 

I think 2019/20 needs to be the year that we come up with something to put Urban Planet, and all of our names on.

Who's with me?