Ideas for Creating Culture, Temporary and Permanent, in Charlotte

52 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

I know some of you don't like nascar but I just saw a commercial about the nascar all star race to be held in Texas.  I thought the all star race was part of the coca cola weekend in Charlotte.  It may be a little niche but Nascar is Charlotte culture.  NC frustrates me.  Embrace what you have; make ityour own.  Nashville leaned in to country music; some folks look down on it.  But they are laughing all the way to the bank.  Can someone explain it to me.  Last thing; why does Oklahoma City have a gasoline alley "district" and Charlotte doesn't.  Frustrating.....

Very much agree. Charlotte is, or should be, the racing city of the US. Yet I feel like other cities have done more to build their reputations on racing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcSc74 said:

I know some of you don't like nascar but I just saw a commercial about the nascar all star race to be held in Texas.  I thought the all star race was part of the coca cola weekend in Charlotte.  It may be a little niche but Nascar is Charlotte culture.  NC frustrates me.  Embrace what you have; make ityour own.  Nashville leaned in to country music; some folks look down on it.  But they are laughing all the way to the bank.  Can someone explain it to me.  Last thing; why does Oklahoma City have a gasoline alley "district" and Charlotte doesn't.  Frustrating.....

I'm sure you'll get your explanation soon................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

I'm sure you'll get your explanation soon................

we lost the All Star race to Texas when during Covid the race could only happen with very limited attendance here.  Texas Motor Speedway also owned by Bruton Smith was an easy switch.  But out went millions in revenue for hotels, restaurants and tax revenue.   It is shame since most of the teams are based within 50 miles of Charlotte Motor Speedway and they got to stay home and race for 2 weeks in a row.  We need to work on getting it back. 

Indy would compete for us a racing city but we are the NASCAR hub all the fans know that.  Even met an Australian in Fiji when I said I was from Charlotte he immediately said "Nascar"

5 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

the All Star race would have been this weekend in Charlotte with the Coca Cola 600 Memorial Day weekend and yes it is  loss for this region because it puts Heads in the Beds for  our hotel industry. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here’s an important question… what architect said, “hmm… I think we should just plaster walls here and that’ll look great!! oh! But let me add some windows here and there…can have it too windowless.”

5a8384a7bef68b7412647aabe0bf0dca.jpg

And I was here thinking engineers were the only ones who liked boring old boxes…

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I mean, most of the Epicenter is architecturally problematic. I think better quality materials and more thoughtful design would have helped keep it relevant for longer than it was.

That said, the blank walls are where the movie theater and bowling alley were. 

would not that make a great place for this interactive arts center?  The one at Biltmore has no exterior windows and of course most of these shows need dark spaces.  I still think Epicenter Queen City Quarter is the best place for this.  It would revitalize the center, physically close to Blumenthal, parking underneath and transit at the doorstep.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 7:07 PM, JacksonH said:

Time for some humility.   Progress is being made in Charlotte but still some ways to go.  The perspective from outsiders:

That was 15 minutes of wasted time I will never get back. They didn't seem to realize that they are in the business district of the city and the hordes of people are at work or if visiting on a weekend day things  could liven up at night when people are dining out, going to sports events, in bars, or maybe enjoying a play. They are young and not very worldly yet, more the Asheville/post-millennial types. I will be in Frankfurt in a couple weeks. Frankfurt is like Charlotte. It isn't a tourist center and the uptown is mostly for business, It has an airport about as busy as Charlotte's where lots of people are stopping to visit other places down the Rhine, Baltic, the Alps or "party towns" like Berlin or Hamburg. But, like Charlotte, Frankfort has tons of activity if you know the city and that is good enough for most here and there.  I lived in London when it was the sleepiest big city in the western hemisphere. There wasn't much cool besides Piccadilly and Soho and that was totally for tourists. I hope this couple at least visits South End before moving on. I'm not saying that we live in the most exciting place on earth, but I do believe that they are leaving without doing a very sensible evaluation. This is just my opinion and if you disagree with me, you likely have your justifiable reasons.  By the way, this video is a couple of years lold and silly individuals were still running around with surgical maskks on their faces (most pulled down below their noses). It was a quiet time of recovery mostly. in the UK, some would call them "silly Nillys).  Tata. 

Edited by Professor
  • Haha 1