10 posts in this topic

Whenever I tell people I live downtown, the automatic assumption is that i live at 55W. Like it or not, at least it has branding. I for one like the way it looks, and what it adds to the commercial space for that section of church. I can't speak for what it's like to live there though.

I definitely think 55W at the street level is great, but hahaha, Dale's "fat conquistador" analysis is spot on.  Glad 55W exists, but also glad to imagine surrounding development making it less prominent in the overall skyline.  

Whenever I tell people I live downtown, the automatic assumption is that i live at 55W. Like it or not, at least it has branding. I for one like the way it looks, and what it adds to the commercial space for that section of church. I can't speak for what it's like to live there though.

55West is the second best looking residential building in downtown Orlando. (After the Waverly)

1 person likes this

Lol "Fat conquistador"is growing on me. Yeah I don't know about the Waverly. It looks really dated to me, like Miami vice dated. I really like the concept though. For me, I'm fond of aspire, Vue, 55, 101, Solaris, and star for different reasons but are all on the same ish level to me looks wise. Again, I can only speak for living at the Vue, though I have been inside all the others.

1 person likes this

Eola South, 101 and the top of the Aspire where the apartments are. Waverly is a nice design and very unique. 

Waverly is my favorite and fits along that block. Eola South, 530 East Central, Paramount, and Waverly all have a Miami/SF art deco feel.

I think 55W is better than a 2 story brick retail center that it replaced- without a doubt.

But, the fact that it is painted irks me.  It's very wide and the pool deck townhouses space has never been repurposed and looks bad from the Plaza.  It's dark black window frames are also very '80's.

If I was rating residential towers in downtown, I would put The Vue at the top ala looks.  Aspire (mixed use) as well; I agree on Waverly but that's painted too.

If it doesn't have paint, I tend to gravitate towards it.  55W is also very "deep" and it's sides look a little odd.  The front looks great.

Vue and Aspire are the nicest I think. Too bad Aspire's retail has almost no chance to take off given location.

I'm a big fan of the buildings along Central that stick to a common Art Deco theme - Paramount, Post Parkside, Waverly. Together they create unity and establish a sense of place. Of these, I gravitate to Paramount for bringing in the supermarket retail component that so many major US downtowns (including others in FL) are still struggling to bring in.