CNL III | Office [Proposed]

bic

With one of the promoting parking areas being the CNL/City garage, I would like to see a bridge between CNL I and III that crosses Orange Avenue.  If you are directed to go to performance and park at the city garage, you are dumped in between two crosswalks.  Too many people are crossing the road prior to performances.  It's an accident waiting to happen.  The simple answer is to direct people to the crosswalks, but there may be a better answer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With one of the promoting parking areas being the CNL/City garage, I would like to see a bridge between CNL I and III that crosses Orange Avenue.  If you are directed to go to performance and park at the city garage, you are dumped in between two crosswalks.  Too many people are crossing the road prior to performances.  It's an accident waiting to happen.  The simple answer is to direct people to the crosswalks, but there may be a better answer.

I agree.

I like Praha's idea, but this is 1 block from an expressway- actually 3 expressway ramps and people are in zoom mode heading SB on Orange Ave.  I've parked in the City Hall garage before for a show and the skywalks work great.  It would be great to be able to take one all the way to the DPAC, much like taking the skywalk from the Ginzberg Tower all the way to Panera and not have to worry about sweating or rain.  It's more big city civilized.  They can still do the crosswalk.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
23 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

OBJ is reporting CNL III is officially dead. No link due to the paywall.

Hmm.  That would mean to me that there's already too much office space inventory up or going up in the near future to meet demand.   The question to me is what is going the other Domino to fall?  The office component of the Magic Complex?  Capital Plaza III?

18 minutes ago, codypet said:

Hmm.  That would mean to me that there's already too much office space inventory up or going up in the near future to meet demand.   The question to me is what is going the other Domino to fall?  The office component of the Magic Complex?  Capital Plaza III?

The Sentinel noted in their piece about downtown growth that downtown occupancy was higher than all the other submarkets except Nona. I tend to find the Sentinel more reliable than OBJ so I wonder if this is more an internal thing with CNL (they had already spun off their bank, for example.)

OTOH, since both the Magic and Cap III are still in the pipeline and CSP already under way, it probably makes sense to hold off.

7 minutes ago, sunshine said:

In the same article, OBJ also sounded very optimistic about Magic office complex, Lincoln Property phase 2 and MEC project being built.

However, there are spec office being built in Lake Mary and I drive.

Is the Lincoln Phase II the Church Street Plaza Phase II?

I bet CNL III has been delayed not only because of the market, but also b/c of DPAC and any talks dealing with whether they want buildings on those two green parcels or not.

9 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

Wow... this was supposed to go on the Lawn of DPAC. I don't see it's death as a bad thing. From what I've heard DPAC can sustain itself without parceling off the lawn out front. 

Besides CNL III was supposed to go behind City Hall originally.  

Thanks for that - I also very much favor keeping the lawn if the finances work.

8 minutes ago, codypet said:

Was the City Hall garage built with 3 CNL's in mind?

Not sure about that but the whole City Commons complex was a collaboration. Mayor Bill was a huge fan of the Reinventing Government, or "ReGo" movement (Al Gore championed it in the Clinton administration.) 

The idea was to reduce costs for the then-new City Hall by working with a private entity.

As the City grows, they'll take over more of CNL I and II. It's been 26 years since City Hall opened and there have been changes in administration and even more at CNL so I suspect a rethink would not be unusual at this point.

2 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

Wow... this was supposed to go on the Lawn of DPAC. I don't see it's death as a bad thing. From what I've heard DPAC can sustain itself without parceling off the lawn out front. 

Besides CNL III was supposed to go behind City Hall originally.  

agreed.  I think that big green space there is vey nice.  I'd rather see it remain and develpment on other less attractive spaces.

37 minutes ago, codypet said:

Wait is that how CNLI &II is set up?  That those buildings are built, leased and managed by CNL and as the City needs more space they effectively take back portions of the building?  If so that wasn't too shabby of an idea.

See "Reinventing Government" by David Osborne and Ted Gaebler, 1992, Addison Wesley Publishing, p. 202

Wow that’s news to me.  Has the City ever actually expanded into either tower?   

That would be a pretty large desk-job government considering all of the other facilities (parks and rec, public works etc) and things like digital permitting reducing the need for staff.   

Now...if the county could move in, the “synergy” would be awesome.

15 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Wow that’s news to me.  Has the City ever actually expanded into either tower?   

That would be a pretty large desk-job government considering all of the other facilities (parks and rec, public works etc) and things like digital permitting reducing the need for staff.   

Now...if the county could move in, the “synergy” would be awesome.

Keep in mind this all happened prior to the explosion of the Internet so the growth rate in head count may have been reduced since then. 

The population of the City has grown a lot since then, though: It was 165K according to the 1990 census and the 2017 estimate is 280K.

Given that politically the City and OC are more often on the same page now, it may indeed be time to revisit consolidation of at least some departments. That tends to be the most controversial topic in local politics, however, with the possible exception of selling OUC.

Archived