• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I knew that they were going to have to change the roof design. That was going to be dated after a while. But overall, I do like it. 

I also like the store design. It fit more into what they like to do than the other design they originally had. 

Edited by MAJIKMAN

I am very excited about this development and the realigned and signalled roads. Also, Earle street is show as right in/right out which will help that intersection. 

Just need the development to creep down Wade Hampton. 

Does anyone else think that Canal Insurance will try to redevelop their site and build a new office? When this is built it will be prime land. Hoping some of the lots along Stone continue to be redeveloped.

Dang...another mixed use development that is wood framed, boxy, and has flat roof lines. How dare they. :rolleyes: These developers should just just pack up and leave instead of investing in our downtown while adding to the tax base and creating jobs. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Dang...another mixed use development that is wood framed, boxy, and has flat roof lines. How dare they. :rolleyes: These developers should just just pack up and leave instead of investing in our downtown while adding to the tax base and creating jobs. 

With such a high profile site, I'm sure another developer will be along shortly! :wub:

Only problem is, would the architecture be any better? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, mallguy said:

Do we need ANOTHER nice grocery store in or around downtown, with Publix downtown and now Harris Teeter at Lewis Plaza?

Wouldn't this location work for a Target (with the demographics probably similar to what supported the Sears that I was dragged to as a kid, across the street)?

Yes. And we need a target as well. I'm hoping nearby on some of that empty land on Wade Hampton. 

35 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

The plan has other problems which includes the "improvements" wanted by SCDOT for the corner.

What problems are there with the improvements? Fixing the wade hampton/stone intersection to a T intersection? Adding a turn lane from stone to wade hampton which always causes a backup or making Earle right in/right out only? Genuinely asking lol

I definitely think this area can support another nice grocer. Living on this side of town, I can tell you I would never drive to Augusta Road to use that Harris Teeter. I use the downtown Publix today and while it is close having something even closer, and walkable, is a plus for me. I think all three can be successful and fill their own niches.

I agree a Target (with a grocer portion within it) could work as well, but i think there is plenty of other locations for a future target also. The old mini Bilo, to me, seems like a great fit for one of Target's urban models but that is a different conversation.

17 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

Yes. And we need a target as well. I'm hoping nearby on some of that empty land on Wade Hampton. 

What problems are there with the improvements? Fixing the wade hampton/stone intersection to a T intersection? Adding a turn lane from stone to wade hampton which always causes a backup or making Earle right in/right out only? Genuinely asking lol

The continuous right turn raises into question the safety of pedestrians that will walk to the development. Even if it is safe, will they feel safe enough to cross the intersection...

Yeah, they talked about that last week. They had to kind of back track on the story they had, I think, the day before. Instead of actually talking to someone from the city first, they ran the story. A few of us already knew the state dot wasn't onboard with that in the first place. The city just reaffirmed that decision. Wyff just didn't do enough homework. They were just trying to break a story that wasn't there. 

On December 30, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Gville2012 said:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/traffic-plan-for-downtown-greenville-area-brings-changes-to-original-plan/37124694

Looks like the plan to go from 4 to 2 lines on Stone Ave. from the Master Plan has officially been scraped.

That is a subject that has been discussed several times at Bikeville committee meetings.  Per federal guidelines, the traffic rates are too high to go down to two lanes.

Edited by Galley
Corrected spelling error.

• 2 weeks later...