Northpointe mixed use development.

gman430

• 1 month later...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, StrangeCock said:

So...that sign mockup? Is that just a mockup, or are those the real tenants?

Harris Teeter

Starbucks

Gap

Bed, Bath, and Beyond

Jamba Juice

etc...

Not sure but it sure is an odd list if real. Also, where would BBB go? Don't their stores usually take up a good bit of space? 

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one thinking that HT returning to Greenville may be a misfire?

When Harris Teeter was in Greenville before (1990s), the only other grocery stores around were Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie and maybe an Ingles or two, plus one Fresh Market.  HT was the only upscale grocery store chain in town.  The only other upscale grocery store around was one Fresh Market on East North Street.  Even with that, HT pulled out of the market.

Now, upscale Publix has already taken root, and I love that store.  There are now two Fresh Markets and a Whole Foods, so the higher-end segment is already occupied.  HT will, I'd guess, split the market with Publix, but Publix has stores all over town and has a loyal following.  I'm staying put with the downtown Publix, as it's a great store with such friendly employees.

What am I missing?

Edited by mallguy

23 minutes ago, mallguy said:

More convenient?  The Augusta Road HT is about the same distance from a typical Alta Vista house as the downtown Publix.  The Stone Avenue HT has never been a prime retail location, even when Sears was there.

It's perfect for me in Overbrook. I like Harris Teeter more than Publix.

5 hours ago, mallguy said:

What am I missing?

Just about everything. You do realize Harris Teeter does its due diligence and studies before opening new stores to see if it will be successful or not within the community right? The downtown Publix is always packed everytime I step foot in there. 

Edited by gman430

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Just about everything. You do realize Harris Teeter does its due diligence and studies before opening new stores to see if it will be successful or not within the community right? The downtown Publix is always packed everytime I step foot in there. 

Your insult fails as a logical argument because HT did extensive market research when it came to Greenville (and elsewhere in SC and GA) the first time.  It pulled out of Georgia and most of South Carolina, in some cases pretty soon after opening new stores there.

Edited by mallguy

I'm excited about Harris Teeter. I live in the West End and it's much easier to go down Augusta Road then drive through the middle of downtown. Plus Harris Teeter will let you order groceries online and then pull up and they put it in your car for you. I will definitely be a customer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I think all of the North Main area is going to be excited about having something closer and easier and bigger than the Publix. I think they are really serving two different markets. Publix will pick up all of the people that are going to be living in the apartment complexes and Harris Teeter is going to get the families that own the houses in the Augusta Road and North Main area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mallguy said:

Your insult fails as a logical argument because HT did extensive market research when it came to Greenville (and elsewhere in SC and GA) the first time.  It pulled out of Georgia and most of South Carolina, in some cases pretty soon after opening new stores there.

Bi-Lo bought out Harris Teeters upstate business last time around.  I don't know how they were performing at the time though, but they didn't just simply pull out.

On 5/19/2016 at 4:43 PM, mallguy said:

Now, upscale Publix has already taken root, and I love that store.  There are now two Fresh Markets and a Whole Foods, so the higher-end segment is already occupied.  HT will, I'd guess, split the market with Publix, but Publix has stores all over town and has a loyal following.  I'm staying put with the downtown Publix, as it's a great store with such friendly employees.

What am I missing?

You had me up until you went all in with Publix.  Have you ever been to their deli?  the lack of efficiency is staggering, my wife wont go anymore if she has to go to the deli and the online orders are as hit or miss as the in person orders.  Once they wrap their heads about that debacle, I am back on board witA you.  Also, good points about HT jumping into crowded waters.  

Personally, I think the market can support all of the currently planned stores. HT, Publix and even Bi-Lo all have their niches, along with the specialty stores such as Fresh Market and Whole Paych... er, Whole Foods. The growth of the industry has not kept up with the growth of the market, especially within the city limits. I look forward to the competition, although it may mean that the smaller stores with more limited selection (e.g., the very nice East Mcbee Publix store) could decline to the convenience store category. (Go ahead and argue. It's only my personal opinion, based on my personal observations. Your mileage may vary, and I don't give a rodent's rectum.)

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, mallguy said:

Am I the only one thinking that HT returning to Greenville may be a misfire?

When Harris Teeter was in Greenville before (1990s), the only other grocery stores around were Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie and maybe an Ingles or two, plus one Fresh Market.  HT was the only upscale grocery store chain in town.  The only other upscale grocery store around was one Fresh Market on East North Street.  Even with that, HT pulled out of the market.

What am I missing?

You are missing some important info. Publix was around in the 1990's here in Greenville and Atlanta. HT competed against them in both markets. Harris Teeter was owned by a holding company back then that didn't seem to want to put up the money to expand and add stores in both markets as Publix grew so that's why they retreated in the early 2000's from both markets.

Grocery chains continue to consolidate last few years. HT is owned and part of the Kroger family now. Kroger has the desire to be the top grocer in America and has the $$$ to grow HT and Kroger's family of other stores. That's why they are probably backtracking and re entering this market because it's a void for them in the middle of their other markets (Columbia/Atlanta-Kroger ; Asheville/Charlotte/Charleston-HT).

I wouldn't rule out Kroger/HT acquiring another chain or two that have an upstate presence in the future. Ingles has been rumored to be a target for them for awhile. BI-LO just seems to be falling further behind. Either way this time around I would look for Teeter to have more upstate stores in the future than the handful they had last time. Harris Teeter is a great store as well as Publix and can hold their own against them

• Like 1

On May 19, 2016 at 5:34 PM, mallguy said:
57 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

You are missing some important info. Publix was around in the 1990's here in Greenville and Atlanta. HT competed against them in both markets. Harris Teeter was owned by a holding company back then that didn't seem to want to put up the money to expand and add stores in both markets as Publix grew so that's why they retreated in the early 2000's from both markets.

Grocery chains continue to consolidate last few years. HT is owned and part of the Kroger family now. Kroger has the desire to be the top grocer in America and has the $$$ to grow HT and Kroger's family of other stores. That's why they are probably backtracking and re entering this market because it's a void for them in the middle of their other markets (Columbia/Atlanta-Kroger ; Asheville/Charlotte/Charleston-HT).

I wouldn't rule out Kroger/HT acquiring another chain or two that have an upstate presence in the future. Ingles has been rumored to be a target for them for awhile. BI-LO just seems to be falling further behind. Either way this time around I would look for Teeter to have more upstate stores in the future than the handful they had last time. Harris Teeter is a great store as well as Publix and can hold their own against them

Vista...what do you know about Lowe's grocery chain? They are expanding in Greenville area (new one being built @ Five Forks on Woodruff Rd.) I visited a location in Winston-Salem NC & thought it was impressive & would compete well in our area. Would probably compete stronger with Publix and probably give HT a challenge as well.

10 hours ago, cabelagent said:

I went to a Lowe's Foods in Myrtle Beach last Thanksgiving and it was very nice. I would shop there if they build in the Furman/TR area. Reminded me of Publix and had a very nice deli and bakery with a lot of prepared grab and go food. I felt like Publix has a larger selection when it comes to raw groceries and Lowe's house brands seemed to be more limited in what items they carried but it is a much smaller chain of around 100 stores. Very friendly staff as well.and had a hometown feel to it.

• Like 1