Northwest Greenville Mall?

GSP Tiger

Would anyone like to see northwestern Greenville (Cherrydale, Berea, Traveler's Rest, White Horse areas) have some type of mall? If so, where would it be located and what stores would you like to see?

In my opinion, I thnik a new mall would be great nearby Furman, but it needs to be located on a major artery with enough land.

As for the mall itself, I would like to see an enclosed two-level shopping center with three anchors (Belk, JCPenney, etc.), two national retailers from sports (Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority) to office supply (Office Max, Office Depot, or Staples), one or two wait staff restaurants (Applebee's, etc.), 80-90 specialty stores, and a midrise hotel & conference center.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a little mall in Oviedo, Florida (the Oviedo Marketplace) that would fit in almost perfectly in the Northern part of Greenville County. It's began with 2 anchors (Dillards and Burdines) and a 3rd (Sears) was added. It's a quait mall with approximately 70 shops lining a natural (stained concrete and vines growing on the roof support columns) meandering hallway, 3-4 nice sit-down restruants, and a 16-screen Regal Cinemas (with Stadium Seating). Something like this would be PERFECT up here.

mallmap.gif

The problem with a mall in the Northern part of Greenville County is this: Malls are typically developed near not only major arteries, but near freeways. We have none in this part of the county. Because of this, you'd be more likely to see the next mall built near the Southern Connector.

The Oviedo Marketplace (which, again, I think would be an example of an ideal mall for this area) is no exception. It's built next to the 417 Greenway that belts Orlando:

lease_mallmap.jpg

However, if one were to be built near Furman, that piece of property directly across Highway 276 from University Square (Publix) may be a good location. Spartan's probably right - you'd likely see something more along the lines of the Shops at Greenridge though.

A northern connector could definitely bring such a mall to TR. That area and even north of it are starting to become booming communities. A decade down the road a freeway better be on the way or under construction because people will need much quicker access to the city and surrounding areas.

I have always wondered why Greenville doesn't have more malls. The best that part of town would get is one of the Greenridge style developments. Malls don't seem to be very popular these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Greenridge type of lifestyle center would be perfect for NW Greenville! Greenridge is getting some great stores (Brixx, Ann Taylor Loft, Swoozies, Talbots, Barnes & Noble, Total Wines, World Market, etc). This would be perfect for NW GV. Very few developers are building malls anywhere these days. Dollars per square foot sales in traditional enclosed malls are dropping like a rock. 90% of the activity is in upscale lifestyle centers such as Greenridge.

Even though I'm excited about The Shops at Greenridge, I'm not a big fan of having to drive around in the parking lot to every single store. Also, there are no covered sidewalks in front of the stores except Lowe's; it is really a washout.

It is possible to a mall with no roof overhead.

MAJIKMAN: The idea for a northern connector, a direct link from Greer to US 25 northward of Traveler's Res, has been in talks for several decades now. I'm unaware of which possible routes have been drawn out, but I'm thinking it is SC 290. That road is planned for widening to four lanes in a few years.

Even though I'm excited about The Shops at Greenridge, I'm not a big fan of having to drive around in the parking lot to every single store.  Also, there are no covered sidewalks in front of the stores except Lowe's; it is really a washout.

It is possible to a mall with no roof overhead.

MAJIKMAN:  The idea for a northern connector, a direct link from Greer to US 25 northward of Traveler's Res, has been in talks for several decades now.  I'm unaware of which possible routes have been drawn out, but I'm thinking it is SC 290.  That road is planned for widening to four lanes in a few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My idea for it would be for it to be continuation of the Verne Smith Parway using existing Rds.

Exsisting, The Parkway to Connecting I-85 @ Pelham to Bateville Rd. Continue the Parkway to meet Tandem Dr and a means to connect to HWY 14.

Then the new Verne Smith Parkway (HWY 80) connects 14 to HWY 101 to HWY 290 to HWY 29.

My idea would be for the Verne Smith (HWY 80) to the Connect to Gap Creek Rd. crossing HWY 357 till it gets to HWY 14 the go north on HWY 14 till HWY 414 and follow it west accross 101 to HWY 25 or create something new using other existing roads that would take HWY 80 back east to west accross HWY 14, HWY 101 and HWY 290 meeting with HWY 25.

Then you can take HWY 25 to Interstate 85 and 85 back up to Pelham the creating a large beltway.

And then something similar could be done south of I-85 maybe using I-185, Mauldin Rd., HWY 297, HWY 101, and back to I-85. This way you could have a beltway around Mauldin, Simpsonville, and Fountain Inn.

Does any of this even make sense?

I think Verne Smith Parkway is fine as it is. It could be extended to Pelham Road, but the SC 80 designation stops at SC 14. Both Pelham Road and The Parkway are state secondary roads. If SC 80 were to be extended, I would aim for Inman and Interstate 26.

I think Greenville is better off without beltways. The closest it will ever get is 185/385.

A beltway system is inevitable if the area continues to grow at a rate similar to the current one. More people mean more travelers and the need for bigger and better roads. This is just the way it is and I look forward to the day when we'll be able to hop onto a freeway to get to TR or Hendersonville even. Of course I would also like to see a light rail transit system in place. :)

If I remember correctly, the remaining stretch of US 25 from NC 225 (Old US 25) to Interstate 26 is to be widened to a four lane freeway. How soon remains to be determined.

I doubt US 25 from Traveler's Rest to the North Carolina state line can be built up to interstate standards. You have several at-grade intersections, most of them T-shaped along the mountain suck as Gap Creek Road, Cliffs Valley, and the Cliffs development at the state line. If it could be upgraded to something like US 123 between Clemson and Easley, then that would be great.

Archived