Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

It seems like there is a little too much development on providence road near I-485 around the previously known Charlotte Golf Links course, although it will be nice to have new shops and restaurants . There's the 90 acre Waverly development, the 194 acre development on the previous Charlotte Golf Links course, and the soon to be 72 acre Crescent Communities development right next to Waverly. These are basically within a mile radius of one another. Having previously lived in this area, it doesn't seem like it can support all the added traffic these developments will bring. Any thoughts about this or what's going to be done to lessen the traffic problems? Also, any updated pictures of the developments would be appreciated.

Is there anything that can happen that would improve quality of life in the area? It seems like any scenario involves some combination of crippling congestion, decreased livability (e.g. paving everything) and declining property values.

I am not completely trying to be a jerk, its an honest question. What can realistically (and sustainably) be done within the limits of a) induced demand for road capacity, b) current low-density land uses precluding transit and c) maintaining the private property rights of land owners to develop?

Edited by kermit

IMO the only hope is to have additional bridges built across 485 so that there are options for people who don't want to use Providence, and have additional signalized crossings to help the poor souls who want to try to walk or bike out there.

The march towards becoming the next Atlanta continues.

• 8 months later...

I'm not exactly sure what this is, but I'm assuming this is some type of Olympic training facility that is proposed for Ballantyne Parkway Commons? They're proposing a 200' Olympic tower at the site, along with a torch and monument. Looks pretty cool:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/056-071/2016-064%20site%20plan.pdf 

31 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I'm not exactly sure what this is, but I'm assuming this is some type of Olympic training facility that is proposed for Ballantyne Parkway Commons? They're proposing a 200' Olympic tower at the site, along with a torch and monument. Looks pretty cool:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/056-071/2016-064%20site%20plan.pdf 

That cool Olympic tower would be WAY better to cover up a cell phone tower than the hideous fake cell phone tower pine tree.

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

That cool Olympic tower would be WAY better to cover up a cell phone tower than the hideous fake cell phone tower pine tree.

I agree except the Olympic Tower design needs to have a purpose beyond just to cover up a cell phone tower. In other words, the design needs to tie in with something that exists there. I'm unclear on what else is being built besides the tower (and its purpose).

38 minutes ago, jednc said:

I agree except the Olympic Tower design needs to have a purpose beyond just to cover up a cell phone tower. In other words, the design needs to tie in with something that exists there. I'm unclear on what else is being built besides the tower (and its purpose).

CMS is leasing land adjacent to Jay Robinson Middle School to United States Performance Center, who is building a massive sports / strength training complex. They currently have a training center off 51 near the Tuesday Morning, but this is a massive expansion of their facilities and reach. They will now have sports field and outdoors facilities. The Olympic tie in is US Performance Center is a partner to "Promote the Youth", which is the Charlotte based Community Olympic Development Program affiliate for young athletes. There are 16 CODP's in the country. This new facility will be the hub of CODP activities in the Southeast.

The location is right in the hub of Charlotte neighborhoods where parents are hoping their kid is the next soccer star or will get a full ride for football to Alabama. The size of this facility will probably bring youth sports tourism to the region.

" The United States Olympic Committee has partnered with sport communities across the nation to help American youth receive the best sports development services possible. The USOC created the Community Olympic Development Program in 1998 to help address the needs of progressing athletes from the beginning stages of development to the elite level."

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

The location is right in the hub of Charlotte neighborhoods where parents are hoping their kid is the next soccer star or will get a full ride for football to Alabama. The size of this facility will probably bring youth sports tourism to the region.

This makes even more sense when you combine it with Matthews' sportsplex fields which are only a few exits down 485 from this.

On 3/4/2016 at 1:28 PM, CLT2014 said:

CMS is leasing land adjacent to Jay Robinson Middle School to United States Performance Center, who is building a massive sports / strength training complex. They currently have a training center off 51 near the Tuesday Morning, but this is a massive expansion of their facilities and reach. They will now have sports field and outdoors facilities. The Olympic tie in is US Performance Center is a partner to "Promote the Youth", which is the Charlotte based Community Olympic Development Program affiliate for young athletes. There are 16 CODP's in the country. This new facility will be the hub of CODP activities in the Southeast.

" The United States Olympic Committee has partnered with sport communities across the nation to help American youth receive the best sports development services possible. The USOC created the Community Olympic Development Program in 1998 to help address the needs of progressing athletes from the beginning stages of development to the elite level."

Thank you! I was ignorant to almost everything you mentioned. Now with some context, I think this project is pretty cool.

Waverly is going to be the new hot spot for south Charlotte and Union County area of Waxhaw and Weddington. Those stores and restaurants will do great. David Weekley is already selling single family homes there and has opened their model. The apartments Solis are almost done. Now attention turns to what will come to Rea Farms the Lincoln Harris development on the old golf links site. They sold land to a fitness center and CMS for a school. However they have a very large retail anchor on their site plan and my guess is either a huge movie theatre complex or maybe possibly a Wegmans. They are looking south from Raleigh where they just announced a store in Cary and this would be a great site for them. No knowledge just an educated guess or speculation on my part. Anybody have any insight into the retail anchor and it is fairly large there. This is all behind the existing Harris Teeter anchored shopping center.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...