Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The proportions are terrible

Couldn't care less about proportions of cell tower. Life's too short. I think it's an excellent solution to solving the problem of having a cell tower on a church's property though.

Edited by jednc

An ugly church is still ugly. They don't get a free pass just because someone was lazy and couldn't be bothered to measure out an appropriate transect length. I'm not criticizing what they were attempting to do - it's a reasonable idea - I'm criticizing the crappy execution.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

An ugly church is still ugly. They don't get a free pass just because someone was lazy and couldn't be bothered to measure out an appropriate transect length. I'm not criticizing what they were attempting to do - it's a reasonable idea - I'm criticizing the crappy execution.  

So it's not better than a standard cell tower? I agree the proportions are awful but I don't think it's all that ugly. 

6 hours ago, Nick2 said:

So it's not better than a standard cell tower? I agree the proportions are awful but I don't think it's all that ugly. 

If the bar we are trying to eclipse is looking nicer than a standard cell phone tower, then yes, they accomplished that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lincoln Harris has a new slick website for its Rea Farms Village development.  You could live there your whole life start out in an apartment at the Links, buy a home in single family section then downsize into a Overture senior apartment.     The Improper Pig sounds interesting.  

https://www.reafarmsvillage.com/

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Lincoln Harris has a new slick website for its Rea Farms Village development.  You could live there your whole life start out in an apartment at the Links, buy a home in single family section then downsize into a Overture senior apartment.     The Improper Pig sounds interesting.  

https://www.reafarmsvillage.com/

I don't know that slick is the right word. Dated, I think you were looking for dated. The "town square (rectangle)," is really just grass as far as the eye can see? Well thats hugely disappointing. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't know that slick is the right word. Dated, I think you were looking for dated. The "town square (rectangle)," is really just grass as far as the eye can see? Well thats hugely disappointing. 

I disagree on the grass.  The large lawn is easily the coolest part of this development and I love that (particularly since it will be used for a lot of community events).  They also did a good job on parking, IMO.  We've now apparently confirmed that the existing center fronting Providence will be demolished (since Penn Station and Papa John's, among others, are joining HT in relocating).  Makes sense but interesting because that center isn't old and is still in good condition.  Will be interesting to see what they do with that land (if indeed they knock the center down).

Edited by JBS
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For those worried about traffic jams along Providence in the vicinity of I-485, consider the following:

•  Most of the single-family, multi-family, and hotel space in Rea Farms is not yet complete, or occupied.  A majority of the retail is up and running, but my impression is that most of the office space is yet to be occupied. The "old" shopping center fronting Providence will be torn down and redeveloped, adding to the traffic count.

•  At Waverly, a second office tower has been topped out.  Is the first office tower fully occupied?  What's the occupancy percentage of the condos, apartments, townhouses and single-family houses?  More traffic to come.

•  At Providence Farm, adjoining Waverly's north side, the apartments are nearing completion, but are not yet occupied.  Retail to come.

•  There's a substantial amount of developable land remaining in the vicinity.  There's a very nice site between Providence Farm and 485, plus vacant land wrapping around behind Providence Farm and Waverly.  Does anyone know the status of the Ardrey Kell Road extention to Tilly Morris Road?

•  There's a smaller, but very developable piece of land is at the SW corner of the Providence/485 interchange, at Allison Woods Drive.

Providence Road needs to be 6-laned out to Weddington, at least.  By yesterday!

• Like 1

First office tower in Waverly is about 80-90% leased and the apartments leased up and still some more townhomes to come.  Rea Farm Village is in the earlier stage of course.  Ardrey Kell Rd will continue through Waverly turn at a circle in front of the apartments and connect back to the new neighborhood off Tilley Morris Rd where Pulte is building.  

• Like 2

As a follow-on to the massive amount of development on Providence at and south of the 485 interchange (and don't get me wrong; I am pro-development, despite the traffic challenges posed), it is striking what happens at the county line.  Literally a few hundred feet south of the leading edge of development roaring down Providence, you cross Six Mile Creek, and enter Union County and the town of Weddington (my domicile, as it happens).  

Weddington, along with nearby Marvin, is a "paper town," incorporated for the sole purpose of preventing annexation of the area by Charlotte (now a moot point, as involuntary annexation is no longer legal).  Weddington collects only token property taxes, provides no services, depending on the Union County Sheriff's Department for law enforcement; volunteer fire departments for fire protection; and some Union County water and sewer (but most residents are on well and septic);  County and State for road maintenance; and residents pay their own trash haulers.  The only thing the Town of Weddington does (Town Hall open MWF, 9-1, the way government ought to be) is collect taxes, enforce such regulations as signage, and codify and enforce zoning regulations.  And the last of these is key.  Weddington is essentially all large-lot (one acre and more) residential, with only one small retail center which pre-existed the incorporation of the town.  So almost no retail, and zero small-lot residential, multi-family, office, hotel, or manufacturing.  And that's not likely to change any time soon, if town forums and polls are any indication.

So, development comes to a screeching halt at the county line.  I wonder how long the situation will last, given the boom just north across the county line, and development-friendly Waxhaw to the south.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kind of random, but how come I have heard nothing about arboretum redevelopment? I live over here and thought we were getting a new grocery store, back branches and other mixed used buildings and stores. Are they waiting for Waverly and Rea Farms to finish before announcing anything? How long do projects typically take to begin after approval?Because wasn't  it approved in  September 2017? I just think it's weird to heat of approval like 20 months ago, and then never hear an update.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NC980 said:

Kind of random, but how come I have heard nothing about arboretum redevelopment? I live over here and thought we were getting a new grocery store, back branches and other mixed used buildings and stores. Are they waiting for Waverly and Rea Farms to finish before announcing anything? How long do projects typically take to begin after approval?Because wasn't  it approved in  September 2017? I just think it's weird to heat of approval like 20 months ago, and then never hear an update.

Yes you are correct I think a Publix was approved across from the Arboretum at SE corner of Providence and Hwy 51.  It will have parking underneath.  I will go back and see if it was approved but Publix is so slow in building stores but I am sure they want one in that area.  

Here is the rezoning and it was approved in late 2017.    There could have been existing leases to honor and so forth but I would say this one will still be coming.  

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/045-060/2017-057 approved site plan.pdf

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2017Petitions/Pages/2017-057.aspx

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2