Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

Update on Rea Farms development on old Charlotte Golf links site. Subscriber only article in Business Journal but here is a summary:

Lease signed on 76,000 sq ft Harris Teeter which will replace the one facing Providence Rd which will close. Woodfield will develop 455 apartments some above retail, some townhomes some  in 3-4 story buildings. Life Time Fitness club is underway and  is 185,000 sq ft  150 unit seniors housing facility by Citisculpt For sale single family and townhomes by CalAtlantic up against Stone Creek Ranch neighborhood. 

Office development will be 500-650,000 sq ft and already getting significant interest from users in 30-50K range and even whole buildings from local and out of market tenants. Office buildings may start soon due to interest  and are in a very traditional brick Georgian architecture (think 4-5 story Capitol tower looking no domes I see) A hotel will be at the other end of the village green. Overall will be very upscale even more so than Waverly.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/09/14/exclusive-flexible-community-driven-design-key.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Update on Rea Farms development on old Charlotte Golf links site. Subscriber only article in Business Journal but here is a summary:

Lease signed on 76,000 sq ft Harris Teeter which will replace the one facing Providence Rd which will close. Woodfield will develop 455 apartments some above retail, some townhomes some  in 3-4 story buildings. Life Time Fitness club is underway and  is 185,000 sq ft  150 unit seniors housing facility by Citisculpt For sale single family and townhomes by CalAtlantic up against Stone Creek Ranch neighborhood. 

Office development will be 500-650,000 sq ft and already getting significant interest from users in 30-50K range and even whole buildings from local and out of market tenants. Office buildings may start soon due to interest  and are in a very traditional brick Georgian architecture (think 4-5 story Capitol tower looking no domes I see) A hotel will be at the other end of the village green. Overall will be very upscale even more so than Waverly.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/09/14/exclusive-flexible-community-driven-design-key.html

That area is really taking off.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A joint venture between Crosland Southeast and Childress Klein and the Matthews family acquired an 8.5-acre site on Providence Road for $4.5 million in a deal that closed Sept. 27. The property is adjacent to Crescent Communities' Providence Farm residential community and next to Waverly, the 90-acre master-planned development by Crosland Southeast and Childress Klein near Providence and Ardrey Kell roads.

The plan is to develop several single-tenant and multi-tenant retail buildings at the currently-unnamed project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/09/28/crosland-southeast-childress-klein-acquire-another.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Arboretum shopping center is announcing a remodel with traffic improvements internally 

http://developclt.com/what-waverly-arboretum-spruce-up-simply-timely/

Woah, it has gotten old. That'll be cool to see. It's one of the more interesting strip malls around. It would help its sense of place if it got an apartment complex or something, but I seriously doubt that would happen (omg the traffic).

• Like 1

The Arboretum's duck pond and mini-boarwalk, along with the Barnes & Noble were, like, the only place in the general Matthews/South East Charlotte region worth hanging out when I was a kid. Now I'll sometimes go down for Vintner's Wine Market. I always considerd it a step above every other shopping center. Probably all the greenery?

Despite it being as old as it is and the owners feeling it needs an update, I've never felt like it was neglected or run down. They have an done an excellent job keeping it clean and taking care of it. For me its only problem is that it wasn't quite meant for the amount of consistent traffic it gets today. I will say that once the parking lot improvements begin I will most likely do my shopping elsewhere until it's done. I'm not even going to attempt to get in there with construction going on. 

15 hours ago, go_vertical said:

Getting in and out of there is a complete nightmare. It only got worse when they closed off the back entrance between wal-mart and barnes & noble after a skateboarder was hit. The traffic flow improvements can't come soon enough.

Say wha? I have shopped at the Arboretum for the last 13 years and have never once had an issue getting in/out. There are 5 entrances including two with traffic lights.  Now traffic on 51/Providence at rush hour is another story but is road related, not the shopping centers fault.

Only issue I have there is there is the parking around the Teeter is a clusterf***.  Not enough spots and too many damn people.  

I'm not saying I can't get in and out of there. I'm basically saying the same thing that you said about Teeter since that is the reason I'm in the center 99% of the time. I still shop there. I'm not boycotting the place. It's just that for me the the circus that is that parking lot combined with the amount of traffic (especially on a weekday afternoon) is close to the limit of what I would rather deal with when picking up a few items at the grocery store. All I was saying is that when they start tearing up asphalt I will most likely use the location at Providence Commons until construction is complete. That's all.

18 hours ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Providence Square at International Dr should be redeveloped.  It looks like welfare projects. 

Honestly, that is probably a decent example of lower income housing.  I had friends rent a 3BR there right out of college (first year teachers making little) and while it wasn't anything nice, it wasn't bad. Neighbors were the reason they moved on though.  Its not the best cast of characters living there but the buildings themselves were in at least decent shape. 

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

New rezoning petition for the Levine development at the corner of Fairview, Providence, and Sardis. Looks like it's going to be anchored by a grocery store. Publix?

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/140-150/2016-147 site plan.pdf

I live in a neighborhood that's 38,000 people per square mile and we don't have a single "super market" just tiny 5000 sq foot grocery stores. Why are there so many in charlotte, right beside each other. 

14 hours ago, Third Strike said:

New rezoning petition for the Levine development at the corner of Fairview, Providence, and Sardis. Looks like it's going to be anchored by a grocery store. Publix?

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/140-150/2016-147 site plan.pdf

Yes I have heard it is new Harris Teeter. That is the Raley Miller project right?  New Fresh Market across the street in Strawberry Hill and new Teeter here. 

Edited by KJHburg
correction
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I live in a neighborhood that's 38,000 people per square mile and we don't have a single "super market" just tiny 5000 sq foot grocery stores. Why are there so many in charlotte, right beside each other. 

I'd guess you have a lot more restaurants around you and less families making dinner at home nightly, as well... speculating.  

• 3 weeks later...

Demo is ongoing of the very large Camden Pinehurst apartments. Buildings are all down.  580 new apartments replacing the worn down 400 that currently were there.

Next door the Carmel on Providence apartments on the corner of Fairview and Providence look ready for demo at any minute.  That will make way for Levine's mixed use development (Teeter or Publix...can't remember which).