Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Johnny Harris talking about Rea Farms Village and how suburban mixed used projects will continue to be built in the area.  (he has 2 more in the works the River District and Southbridge in Ft Mill)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article212282884.html

Here's to hoping that the River District is nothing like Rea Farms Village.  I really wish someone else was developing the River District.  So much potential but I suspect it will look just like Rea and that the river itself will be an afterthought...

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updated photos from Waverly and Rea Farms Village.  Both of these mixed used projects are major successes even if you don't like the architecture.  KJ reporting from south Charlotte.   Photos 1-4 Waverly  new Hilton Garden Inn now open has retail on ground floor, fake grass in main plaza and photo 4 the 2nd 6 story office building already a chunk of it leased.   (Looks like the Railyard but no power lines!) 

Photos 5-12 Rea Farms Village is coming together.  That big lawn area is real grass and the apartments are now leasing.  Lifetime Fitness is packing them in for sure.  Only thing not started at this project is the office buildings, the Hyatt hotel and the CMS school.  

IMG_9872.JPG

IMG_9873.JPG

IMG_9874.JPG

IMG_9876.JPG

IMG_9879.JPG

IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9881.JPG

IMG_9882.JPG

IMG_9883.JPG

IMG_9884.JPG

IMG_9885.JPG

IMG_9886.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that Blakeney is kind of crappy.  The central core is nice, but the big box stores like Target, etc. that surround it look like junk in my opinion.

Yeah, not a big fan of the architecture but it's going to be better than Blakeney.   And Waverly is growing on me.  It's a happening place on a Saturday night.

Edited by JBS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Waverly:  good design, poor layout

Rea Farms:  poor, uninspired design, good layout 

I'd take Rea Farms' very south Charlotteish design over Waverly's odd, generic flatness any day. It's not great in pictures. It's not great in person. It's like they were going to put nice, tin roofs on, but then just forgot. Something is very much missing from Waverly. 

I reserve final judgment until an eye test but those building columns appear to have excessive entasis or just poorly designed dimensions.

Contemporary office/commercial buildings that try to mimic classic elements look far out of the symmetry they seek. Columns too far apart to support the upper story, windows far too large, doors too small, a confusion of capitals, and other offenses. The elements have little to no actual function so the tacked-on-ness grates the senses. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2018 at 5:34 PM, go_vertical said:

I'm having trouble seeing anything I said as rude. I didn't "describe" anyone as anything. I'm not suggesting the suburbs deserve a hot slab of asphalt with a wal-mart plopped down. I don't think this development is bad at all. In fact, I think it looks pretty good. All I was saying is that people who have moved out to places like Waxhaw among others are itching for nearby, quality shopping options. Developers know there is a pent up demand and therefore I don't see why they would spend more money than they need to on over the top, jaw dropping architecture and uber premium materials like it seems like some want. Suburban retail design is cyclical in nature. What looks good today might not in 15 or so years. This could very well go through some sort of refurbish/redesign by then so why put up granite or marble etc? (I know that hasn't been suggested but *hopefully* you see my point.) Also keep in mind that a vast majority of shoppers aren't picking apart every aspect of a development like we do here. 

I haven't put anyone in a box and to suggest otherwise is simply projection. I'm sorry to say that you have read my post entirely wrong. I never once suggested suburbanites will accept anything and "far flung suburbs" was in no way meant to be a disparaging remark. If that is how you read it then maybe you need to have an internal conversation about how you feel about the 'burbs. I have no issue with the suburbs or the people that live in them. It's really annoying how more and more often things that are said on here has to turn into a flash point. Please, put your preconceived notions aside and reread my post. You might just pick up what I was actually saying.

Blocking that guy was one of my best decisions on here. Too many hissy fits.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the person you are replying to go vertical.

Edited by jednc
Clarification

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, KJHburg said:

Johnny Harris talking about Rea Farms Village and how suburban mixed used projects will continue to be built in the area.  (he has 2 more in the works the River District and Southbridge in Ft Mill)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article212282884.html

Johnny Harris is building a suburban mixed-use project Uptown.

*runs away*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now I have seen everything.  I've seen cell towers disguised as trees, but never as a cross. Is this because were are in the Bible belt or are these prevalent from (let's say) here to Texas?

Cell tower just south of Waverly behind Weddington United Methodist Church.

IMG_20180808_150443599.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Now I have seen everything.  I've seen cell towers disguised as trees, but never as a cross. Is this because were are in the Bible belt or are these prevalent from (let's say) here to Texas?

That's not new (you didn't say it was).  For my taste, it's better than a fake sequoia...

• Like 4

On 8/8/2018 at 8:03 PM, UPNoDa said:

Is there some problem with it?