Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

The community gathering space around the fountain and green at Waverly is also way better. It is built to a human scale and the shops, ice cream shop, and hotel nestled around it give it a town center vibe where you find neighbors and families socializing. It is a nice community space and clearly a place parents meet to socialize while the kids run around and play.

Meanwhile over at Rea Farms, the grass lawn is huge but there is nowhere to sit unless you bring your own chairs and there is nothing really unique about it. Its essentially a soccer field that you can't play soccer on. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The community gathering space around the fountain and green at Waverly is also way better. It is built to a human scale and the shops, ice cream shop, and hotel nestled around it give it a town center vibe where you find neighbors and families socializing. It is a nice community space and clearly a place parents meet to socialize while the kids run around and play.

Meanwhile over at Rea Farms, the grass lawn is huge but there is nowhere to sit unless you bring your own chairs and there is nothing really unique about it. Its essentially a soccer field that you can't play soccer on. 

Is the huge lot at Providence and New Town Rd by Weddington Chase still undeveloped?  When I lived in that area long ago, there were grand plans to redevelop it and the carwash across the street.  If retail isn't viable at this point, I'm surprised that they haven't built houses there.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is the huge lot at Providence and New Town Rd by Weddington Chase still undeveloped?  When I lived in that area long ago, there were grand plans to redevelop it and the carwash across the street.  If retail isn't viable at this point, I'm surprised that they haven't built houses there.

New Publix anchored shopping center going in there only the 2nd Publix in Union County.   It will do great there. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New Publix anchored shopping center going in there only the 2nd Publix in Union County.   It will do great there. 

Thanks.  Do you have a website that shows renderings and what else might go there?    Have there been any developments with the carwash site?  That seems like such prime land to have a car wash.  As I recall , there was even a storage site there too.

I absolutely loved that area, but the commute to CMC/Atrium was not viable.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Very nice looking Publix coming to that corner now called Marvin Gardens even though it is not in Marvin    No word yet on the other tenants there but given the area's off the charts high income demographics should lease up easily. 

https://www.crossmanco.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/1704-Marvin-Gardens-Flyer.pdf

2 story Publix I like it

https://www.crossmanco.com/properties/?propertyId=636157-lease

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, southernnorthcarolina said:

Surprisingly enough, it is within a few feet of the Marvin town limits.  Marvin sent out a long, twisting tendril of annexation.  The town limits of Marvin, Weddington, Wesley Chapel, and Waxhaw look like a Jackson Pollock painting when seen on a map.  The neighborhood adjacent to the Publix center, Weddington Chase, is, unintuitively,  mostly in Marvin.  The new retail development, the horse farm across New Town, and the AutoBell/CVS/storage center across Providence are on an unincorporated island.  

Weddington (my home town) won't annex any land other than for single family residential with density no lower than 40,000 sf/house.  Marvin also doesn't want retail or commercial, though they hve approved some patio homes.  Weddington and Marvin are classic "paper towns," with nominal property tax rates, providing no utilities, fire protection, or water/sewer; established for the purpose of preventing annexation by Charlotte, and (horrors) commercial development.  So you have the backwards situation of unincorporated Union County permitting denser development than these towns.  Union County hates these towns, which enforce less tax-producing development, but for which the County must provide public services.

Unless there are unanticipated changes, Weddington will continue to be a large-lot single-family enclave, while multi-family, office, retail, and hotel development booms to its immediate north (Waverly) and south (Waxhaw).

I stand corrected I did not know Marvin snaked all the way over there LOL.  The funny thing I always tell people there is a town of Weddington, Wesley Chapel, Marvin and Waxhaw but only one has a post office and that would be Waxhaw 28173. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I stand corrected I did not know Marvin snaked all the way over there LOL.  The funny thing I always tell people there is a town of Weddington, Wesley Chapel, Marvin and Waxhaw but only one has a post office and that would be Waxhaw 28173. 

What's especially odd is that part of Weddington (including my abode) is in the 28173 Waxhaw zip code, and part of it is in the 28105 Matthews zip code, never mind that Matthews is in Mecklenburg.  When we read an article about our State High School Football Champions, of which we are all proud, it will refer to Weddington High School, Matthews, NC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The legal address of any property is always how it is described in the cadastre in county, sometimes city records. As most of us know it describes property by physical factors such as metes and bounds, survey measures, reference to geographic factors or other placement. Postal address or public services address is never the official legal locator.  We rarely see rural route  addresses now since 911 services require a street address. This address is used for services and mail which may be delivered out of post offices in a location quite some distance from the property itself. Zip codes are unrelated to any governmental entity. In addition schools are usually the last location to be annexed since they suck up immense amounts of service but pay zero tax. I worked at Independence High School for years and we were often described as in Mint Hill. Mint Hill was across the street from the school and Charlotte was behind the school but the school was in unincorporated area. I also worked at Weddington HS.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know the current status of the huge lot on the corner of Providence and Fairview across from Strawberry Hill? I know there's been rezoning to have mixed-use there but since it's a Levine project I'm assuming it'll sit empty forever. It's such a major intersection and with Strawberry Hill's redevelopment I would think that parcel would get something sooner rather than later.

10 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Anybody know the current status of the huge lot on the corner of Providence and Fairview across from Strawberry Hill? I know there's been rezoning to have mixed-use there but since it's a Levine project I'm assuming it'll sit empty forever. It's such a major intersection and with Strawberry Hill's redevelopment I would think that parcel would get something sooner rather than later.

Yes Levine is involved and last I heard about it there were some "legal issues" to deal with not sure that is true or not.  From Raley Miller Properties and (they are pretty successful)  it was supposed to be a Publix.   whatever is happening it ain't happening.   The rezoning was back in 2016 and nothing has really happened.  

https://raleymiller.com/news/

https://raleymiller.com/properties/carmel-on-providence/

October 1, 2015
Charlotte, NC

Raley Miller Properties, in conjunction with Levine Properties, announces the development of a mixed-use retail and residential project at the intersection of Providence and Fairview Roads. Pre-development for Carmel on Providence is currently underway with construction expected to start in 2016.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes Levine is involved and last I heard about it there were some "legal issues" to deal with not sure that is true or not.  From Raley Miller Properties and (they are pretty successful)  it was supposed to be a Publix.   whatever is happening it ain't happening.   The rezoning was back in 2016 and nothing has really happened.  

https://raleymiller.com/news/

https://raleymiller.com/properties/carmel-on-providence/

October 1, 2015
Charlotte, NC

Raley Miller Properties, in conjunction with Levine Properties, announces the development of a mixed-use retail and residential project at the intersection of Providence and Fairview Roads. Pre-development for Carmel on Providence is currently underway with construction expected to start in 2016.

I absolutely don't believe there are legal issues that would take over 3 years to resolve. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's just Levine sitting on more empty land.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, southernnorthcarolina said:

Surprisingly enough, it is within a few feet of the Marvin town limits.  Marvin sent out a long, twisting tendril of annexation.  The town limits of Marvin, Weddington, Wesley Chapel, and Waxhaw look like a Jackson Pollock painting when seen on a map.  The neighborhood adjacent to the Publix center, Weddington Chase, is, unintuitively,  mostly in Marvin.  The new retail development, the horse farm across New Town, and the AutoBell/CVS/storage center across Providence are on an unincorporated island.  

Weddington (my home town) won't annex any land other than for single family residential with average lot sizes of 40,000 sf or more per house.  Marvin also doesn't want retail or commercial, though they have approved some patio homes.  Weddington and Marvin are classic "paper towns," with nominal property tax rates, providing no utilities, fire protection, or water/sewer; established for the purpose of preventing annexation by Charlotte, and (horrors) commercial development.  So you have the backwards situation of unincorporated Union County permitting denser development than these towns.  Union County hates these towns, which enforce less tax-producing development, but for which the County must provide public services.

Unless there are unanticipated changes, Weddington will continue to be a large-lot single-family enclave, while multi-family, office, retail, and hotel development booms to its immediate north (Waverly) and south (Waxhaw).

I heard this is about to change in Weddington.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...