Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Really nice.   I'd like to see express buses that go from just south of 485 down Providence into Uptown in a bus only lane.  That would make the commute  up Providence from Weddington, etc.  A lot more viable.  

Its only 2 lanes along that route. I'd say there is close to zero chance that it gets reduced to 1 lane for regular traffic (without designated left turns either) and 1 designated for a bus. There's always a maybe, but I just really doubt it will happen. 3 lanes can't happen without a significant acquisition of private property at great expense. To do 3 lanes you'd essentially be destroying the homes of people that live "in town" in order to make it easier for people that made the choice to live 16 miles away from their job and not in city limits, to have an easy commute.

A different alternative could be running Express Buses from Weddington down the I-485 Express Lanes under construction to the future I-485/CPCC Silver Line light rail station where commuters could transfer to a Silver Line train to Uptown (in addition to a large park and ride lot at the I-485 / CPCC station).

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Its only 2 lanes along that route. I'd say there is close to zero chance that it gets reduced to 1 lane for regular traffic (without designated left turns either) and 1 designated for a bus. There's always a maybe, but I just really doubt it will happen. 3 lanes can't happen without a significant acquisition of private property at great expense. To do 3 lanes you'd essentially be destroying the homes of people that live "in town" in order to make it easier for people that made the choice to live 16 miles away from their job and not in city limits, to have an easy commute.

A different alternative could be running Express Buses from Weddington down the I-485 Express Lanes under construction to the future I-485/CPCC Silver Line light rail station where commuters could transfer to a Silver Line train to Uptown (in addition to a large park and ride lot at the I-485 / CPCC station

True.  Another idea is to have an express Lynx train run East from Providence and 485 and then down 74.   

Many of the people I know in Weddington Wesley Chapel Waxhaw and Marvin don't even work uptown.  Many work in Ballantyne or south Charlotte or even Southpark or over towards the airport Westinghouse area.    Closer in south Charlotte inside 485 there may be more who work uptown but I think there is a Providence Rd express bus now.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Many of the people I know in Weddington Wesley Chapel Waxhaw and Marvin don't even work uptown.  Many work in Ballantyne or south Charlotte or even Southpark or over towards the airport Westinghouse area.    Closer in south Charlotte inside 485 there may be more who work uptown but I think there is a Providence Rd express bus now.  

That's true.  I had looked at homes in Victoria Lake and in Weddington Chase before moving to Myers Park.  I loved Waxhaw, but the commute up Providence was not possible.  To live there, you have to work from home or in Ballantyne unless you're willing to have an hour car ride to Uptown or to Atrium or Presbyterian.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/11/2021 at 6:13 PM, KJHburg said:

Very tall storage mini warehouse building going up at I-485 and Providence.  

Those buildings tend to be very ugly.  I hope there are some strong design requirements so that it doesn't mess up the classy aesthetics of Providence Road.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

South Charlotte's newest highrise this storage mini warehouse building at 485 and Providence.  Those people in south Charlotte must have a lot of extra stuff they can't fit in their homes. 

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

I think it's crazy that a storage facility is being built in such a prominent location.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nest Homes is planning a 17-unit townhome development at 4934 Providence Rd directly across from JCC, replacing one house. I'd expect this project to get approval and start construction within a few months. It's a common (and valid) complaint that there aren't enough for-sale units in and around center city, but if you go just a few miles out they are popping up everywhere.

879926892_ScreenShot2021-11-29at3_37_24PM.thumb.png.69aec9a4ecd3daba6df5c2714df5e102.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buildleft said:

Nest Homes is planning a 17-unit townhome development at 4934 Providence Rd directly across from JCC, replacing one house. I'd expect this project to get approval and start construction within a few months. It's a common (and valid) complaint that there aren't enough for-sale units in and around center city, but if you go just a few miles out they are popping up everywhere.

879926892_ScreenShot2021-11-29at3_37_24PM.thumb.png.69aec9a4ecd3daba6df5c2714df5e102.png

I personally feel this is a HUGE missed opportunity, in its planning and execution. I literally walked past this house/site last week while home for Thanksgiving (on a five mile pre-emptive weight control walk with my sister), and hand to God commented then how the house was simply sitting waiting to be redeveloped, and made the same observations I'm making now. This site is adjacent to an existing *signaled* intersection with JCC, and with a little creative thinking and persuasion with the church that owns the empty lot to the north, this could provide one fully signaled ingress and egress to the Old Salem neighborhood (and by extension Woodbridge on Carmel) that's lacking anywhere--on Providence or over on Carmel. I know there would be a lot of NIMBYs in the 'hood who wouldn't want it, but I think there would also be a large number who would appreciate a signaled intersection, especially those who commute in the mornings.

There are far, far too many dead end streets coming in and out of Providence that aren't aligned with others on the opposite side, and this is (was) one golden opportunity to create an intersection that would improve traffic congestion that also didn't introduce a massive new development (and thus influx of residents or commuters) to the area.  The new road could simply have hugged the property lines of the lot(s) and connected to/completed a current dead end street, without any additional property destruction or loss other than the right of way.

This is the kind of planning mistake the City of Charlotte repeatedly makes, IMHO. They're pretty good about large- and mid scale road planning and realignment, but I see far too little awareness or attempts to have smaller developments like this provide greater connectivity within existing neighborhoods. They're all over Charlotte, and just being either ignored or squandered, largely...  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ertley said:

I personally feel this is a HUGE missed opportunity, in its planning and execution. I literally walked past this house/site last week while home for Thanksgiving (on a five mile pre-emptive weight control walk with my sister), and hand to God commented then how the house was simply sitting waiting to be redeveloped, and made the same observations I'm making now. This site is adjacent to an existing *signaled* intersection with JCC, and with a little creative thinking and persuasion with the church that owns the empty lot to the north, this could provide one fully signaled ingress and egress to the Old Salem neighborhood (and by extension Woodbridge on Carmel) that's lacking anywhere--on Providence or over on Carmel. I know there would be a lot of NIMBYs in the 'hood who wouldn't want it, but I think there would also be a large number who would appreciate a signaled intersection, especially those who commute in the mornings.

There are far, far too many dead end streets coming in and out of Providence that aren't aligned with others on the opposite side, and this is (was) one golden opportunity to create an intersection that would improve traffic congestion that also didn't introduce a massive new development (and thus influx of residents or commuters) to the area.  The new road could simply have hugged the property lines of the lot(s) and connected to/completed a current dead end street, without any additional property destruction or loss other than the right of way.

This is the kind of planning mistake the City of Charlotte repeatedly makes, IMHO. They're pretty good about large- and mid scale road planning and realignment, but I see far too little awareness or attempts to have smaller developments like this provide greater connectivity within existing neighborhoods. They're all over Charlotte, and just being either ignored or squandered, largely...  

Yeah, a couple of us on this board live in Woodbridge and Carmel is pretty easy to get out of any time of day but Providence is very difficult if you're crossing traffic. A signal there would have been great.

Wouldn't it be easier to just add a signal at E Barden Road, which pretty much just needs paint and lights installed in its current configuration and would be a more direct route than going through the church property? It is already pretty much the cut through street for people that are looking to cut between Carmel and Providence.

Edited by CLT2014

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just add a signal at E Barden Road, which pretty much just needs paint and lights installed in its current configuration and would be a more direct route than going through the church property? It is already pretty much the cut through street for people that are looking to cut between Carmel and Providence.

It would be easier to put a light there, yeah, as long as it's on a sensor and only changes when someone needs to turn. Thankfully not that many people cut through there and it's still a quiet neighborhood.

• 1 month later...

this is very interesting and telling.  Lincoln Harris selling all of its office land at Rea Farms Village to Greystar for apartments.  They are giving up on office space here.  This tells me that  that office market has significantly shifted to only amenitized areas like Southend, uptown, the new Ballantyne etc.   For Lincoln Harris not to build office tells me a lot.

from the Ledger on Monday

""2021-282. Greystar Development East LLC. 7.54 acres on Midway Park Drive from MUDD-O to MUDD-O SPA. Site plan calls for “315 multi-family and/or single-family attached (townhome-style) residential units.” Rezoning Agent: Alexander Ricks.""

this is all Lincoln Harris's plan office building sites there.  Polaris 3G (mecklenburgcountync.gov)

I am telling there will be a lot less office space built in the next few years here in Charlotte as Covid has taken the winds out of the sails.  There will be some but less going forward and if you want proof just look around.  Allstate gives up 90K space in their new Railyard location to Moodys.   Even more dramatic reductions are happening elsewhere.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

this is very interesting and telling.  Lincoln Harris selling all of its office land at Rea Farms Village to Greystar for apartments.  They are giving up on office space here.  This tells me that  that office market has significantly shifted to only amenitized areas like Southend, uptown, the new Ballantyne etc.   For Lincoln Harris not to build office tells me a lot.

""2021-282. Greystar Development East LLC. 7.54 acres on Midway Park Drive from MUDD-O to MUDD-O SPA. Site plan calls for “315 multi-family and/or single-family attached (townhome-style) residential units.” Rezoning Agent: Alexander Ricks.""

this is all Lincoln Harris's plan office building sites there.  Polaris 3G (mecklenburgcountync.gov)

I am telling there will be a lot less office space built in the next few years here in Charlotte as Covid has taken the winds out of the sails.  There will be some but less going forward and if you want proof just look around.  Allstate gives up 90K space in their new Railyard location to Moodys.   Even more dramatic reductions are happening elsewhere.  

Uptown/Center City wins!
I see this as a triumph of center city for offices housing Charlotte’s professional community.  Its central location for far-flung commuters and the growing share of walkable amenities make it a natural draw for premium office space.

We have plenty of spaces for infill in center city.

Edited by RANYC

Maybe Allstate needs more space in the long term than the Railyard could offer? Seems like the market will be fluid until Covid is under control. 

• Like 2