Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

New Rea Farms development website is up http://www.reafarmsvillage.com/  Will be very classic architecture by Lincoln Harris versus more modern look of Waverly across Providence Road. Anchored by a huge 77,000 sq ft Harris Teeter and existing shopping center fronting Providence Rd will be torn down or reconfigured in the future as it is on leased land owned by the Rea family a partner in this development. Office buildings very classical in design a hint of what is to come on Lincoln Harris's uptown Charlotte Observer site in terms of classic architecture. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New Rea Farms development website is up http://www.reafarmsvillage.com/  Will be very classic architecture by Lincoln Harris versus more modern look of Waverly across Providence Road. Anchored by a huge 77,000 sq ft Harris Teeter and existing shopping center fronting Providence Rd will be torn down or reconfigured in the future as it is on leased land owned by the Rea family a partner in this development. Office buildings very classical in design a hint of what is to come on Lincoln Harris's uptown Charlotte Observer site in terms of classic architecture. 

So much parking....

• Like 1

Waverly photos from today. Chuys is gettting ready to open from what I saw. Whole Foods, street of shops, and 6 story 150,000 sq ft office building called the Hub at Waverly topped out. This will be a big attraction for those who live in south Charlotte, Matthews and Union county for sure. And with Rea Village across Providence it will be hub of south Charlotte Union county suburbs. 1. office 2. Whole Foods 3. street of shops 

CAM07196.jpg

CAM07197.jpg

CAM07198.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 49er said:

There are some aspects of this project that are pretty cool but I am so far underwhelmed by the architecture on the "main street". There's value engineering as far as the eye can see. Hopefully the finished product turns out better. 

Looking at Waverly and Rea Farms...so disappointing.  Similar to Providence Promenade they are missing a huge opportunity to create a sense of place in exchange for trying to provide front door parking for almost every tenant.  

Just once I would like to see a 'Main Street' in one of these project be 100% free from cars and force people to walk the 300 feet from a 'hidden' parking lot or a parking ramp.  I get you have to work around ADA but the soccer mom in her 5 ton SUV can walk her case of wine for the week just a bit.  

What I also hope for is a 100% food/entertainment destination.  Rather than these projects that mix restaurants with random service providers like a UPS Store or Real Estate school.  The effect of this is having half of the complex 'alive' during the day and the other half at night.  When will a developer figure out that if you cluster a bunch of places to eat, drink and be entertained your entire complex becomes the destination rather than a single place.   

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Waverly is opening up bit by bit. Chuys now open and it was packed. Ulta Beauty and CVS open. Hilton Garden Inn now being framed. Office building topped off. This will be a new town center for far south Charlotte and Weddington area for sure (along with Rea Village across the street) (Foggy day equals bad photos) The high income families that live nearby and in Union County will make this their new hangout for sure. 

DSCN9179.JPG

DSCN9180.JPG

DSCN9181.JPG

DSCN9182.JPG

• Like 2

I think Waverly is much different due to some strong anchors like Whole Foods and a much more affluent area immediately adjacent. The shops at Rea Village Lincoln Harris's projects across the street will be even more upscale. In fact most of Waverly's retail space is already preleased check this out http://www.waverlyclt.com/interactive-siteplan/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

^^ I don't love this development for a lot of reasons but I have no doubt that they will kill it financially.  I suspect it doesn't hurt the value of my house either (I live close enough for it to be easily accessed but far enough that the increased traffic will only impact me occasionally) since Whole Foods is an area amenity.  I do wonder about the impact on Promenade down the road...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JBS said:

^^ I don't love this development for a lot of reasons but I have no doubt that they will kill it financially.  I suspect it doesn't hurt the value of my house either (I live close enough for it to be easily accessed but far enough that the increased traffic will only impact me occasionally) since Whole Foods is an area amenity.  I do wonder about the impact on Promenade down the road...

Curious about Promenade as well.  Already seeing some new empty fronts.  I think that it has more potential than Waverly to be the 'cool' place if they find a way to shift who is there.  Also can bottom out pretty quick.  I'd love for both Staples and Golf Galaxy to be booted for a brewery and some sort of 'fun' option. 

3 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Curious about Promenade as well.  Already seeing some new empty fronts.  I think that it has more potential than Waverly to be the 'cool' place if they find a way to shift who is there.  Also can bottom out pretty quick.  I'd love for both Staples and Golf Galaxy to be booted for a brewery and some sort of 'fun' option. 

Good points. Promenade is unique for having a "park" center space. A more interesting drinking establishment plus replacing some large store with apartments would probably do well there.

12 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Good points. Promenade is unique for having a "park" center space. A more interesting drinking establishment plus replacing some large store with apartments would probably do well there.

My hope is that they redevelop the parcels where On The Border and Romano's currently sit.  A nice corner facing complex with parking below ground.  Honestly, not sure how Romano's keeps their doors open...   This would put a couple hundred people right in the Promenade to go along with the hundreds already in walking distance in apartments and the new Central Park.  

But it's going to take some vision and maybe a forced hand from Waverly.  

Promenade really does have the potential to be something special, especially if they have the cojones to do something "radical" to restrict/reduce the parking and asphalt around the park and really emphasize the pedestrian friendly nature that it already fosters. One 3-4 story parking deck tucked in a corner could surely replicate and remove the need for a lot of the single slot surface parking. 

Promenade on Providence is a pretty successful shopping center with great demographics in the area average household income of $141k within 3 miles. They do a 10,000 sq ft vacant space next to the Fresh Market from the old Lowes food spot. I doubt few changes would happen in this center in the next 5 years due to the many strong anchors that want to be in that area and really don't have many other options.  Maybe 10 years out they would do some redevelopment but if it ain't broke they are not going to fix it. Given the lack of options for retail in an high income area like this I would not count on much changes anytime soon. They will have a lot more competition with Waverly and Rea Village coming online but this is Triple A location for retail. Here is the site plan http://www.childressklein.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Promenade-Flyer-5.pdf  Now the Arboretum on the other hand is older but again great demographics and good anchors. It stays pretty full but could use some upgrading for sure.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dale said:

The Arboretum could do with a freshening.

Arboretum is undergoing a 5 year $10mil exterior improvement plan as we speak (more details one page back).  As much as the Arboretum is old, it certainly isn't broken though.  It's typically crazy crowded, any day, any time. Hopefully the "exterior refresh" will help with the perception that it is old looking. The area they pull customers from is huge as there is nothing like it between 51 and Fairview over to Matthews and across to park road.  For such a big shopping center, there is also very little turnover in there.  

• Like 1

Some photos of Waverly and Rea Farms Village mixed use suburban developments at Providence and 485. These are examples of the future of suburban developments I think high density and mixed uses including residential, hotel, office space, retail and apartments all in one. Dirt is really flying at Lincoln Harris;s Rea Farms first photo is the new huge Lifetime Fitness center and the concrete pad for the huge Harris Teeter has been poured. The other photos are from Waverly with the new 2 story Whole Foods, the Hilton Garden hotel and the 6 story office building.  3 level parking garage for hotel, retail, and office building. Many companies like these mixed use suburban complexes as cited by LPL and Lash Group when they moved to Kingsley Park in Ft Mill or Jen-Weld when they announced they were going to Arysley. Again I believe this will be the new hub of south south Charlotte and big wealthy parts of Union county. 

DSCN9219.JPG

DSCN9220.JPG

DSCN9221.JPG

DSCN9222.JPG

DSCN9223.JPG

DSCN9224.JPG

DSCN9225.JPG

DSCN9226.JPG

• Like 4

^^

Far from perfect but Waverly has definitely grown on me.  Putting the office building, hotel and houses in close proximity to all of the retail is wonderful and the design of the buildings is average or better for the suburbs.  Mature landscaping will help immensely.  It could have been better but it ain't bad...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you have not been down to Providence Road 485 area you need to see all the construction. First at Waverly with the office building topped out 6 stories, the hotel the Hilton Garden Inn rising, shops and restaurants opening. Next door Crescent is building their Providence Farms apartment community and then across the street Lincoln Harris's Rea Farms Village. The huge Lifestyle Fitness center has the steel frame up, the new mega sized Harris Teeter has the foundation poured.   This is the Hilton Garden Inn and office building at Waverly today. 

CAM07386.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

If you have not been down to Providence Road 485 area you need to see all the construction. First at Waverly with the office building topped out 6 stories, the hotel the Hilton Garden Inn rising, shops and restaurants opening. Next door Crescent is building their Providence Farms apartment community and then across the street Lincoln Harris's Rea Farms Village. The huge Lifestyle Fitness center has the steel frame up, the new mega sized Harris Teeter has the foundation poured.   This is the Hilton Garden Inn and office building at Waverly today. 

CAM07386.jpg

Thanks for the updates KJH! Clear Sky Images has some nice aerial pics (taken 12/23/16) of the Waverly development.

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/p867755064

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/p659449642

These pics really show just how massive this development truly is.

• Like 2