Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

Waverly updates from today. Framing for glass going up on 6 story office building, one more floor to go on the HIlton Garden Inn I think, and more upfits in the 2 level Whole Foods. Across the street the new huge Lifestyle Fitness center has tilted up its 2 story walls already. (no photo) 

CAM07455.jpg

CAM07456.jpg

CAM07457.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there's talks of rezoning the office park at the corner of Providence and NC 51 for a grocery store. Very likely a Publix:

Could Publix be coming to the Arboretum?

It's nice to see more Publix grocery stores in South Charlotte (inside I-485). Hopefully we'll get one that's in SouthPark someday.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 5:16 PM, Third Strike said:

Looks like there's talks of rezoning the office park at the corner of Providence and NC 51 for a grocery store. Very likely a Publix:

Could Publix be coming to the Arboretum?

It's nice to see more Publix grocery stores in South Charlotte (inside I-485). Hopefully we'll get one that's in SouthPark someday.

This will do a killing.  I live down this way (although I don't shop at that Teeter), and everyone I know hates that Teeter because of the crazy crowds (cars and people).  A publix would bring much needed relief to that area.  That said, Publix doesn't seem to be working too fast on any of their S. CLT projects.  They still haven't done anything with the site they bought at Carmel and 51.  The office building just sits there vacant. 

On 2/21/2017 at 3:49 PM, KJHburg said:

Photos from today of Waverly. More and more of businesses are open and the townhomes are going up and some already soon. 1. Hilton Garden Hotel is topped out 2 office building facade going up and glass installed. 6 stories 154,000 sq ft. 

Went over to Waverly the other night and was rather disappointed.  I understand the need for parking but the layout of the retail corridor leaves a lot to be desired.  Just like Prominade, CK decided to try and provide front door parking for every tenant rather than creating a sense of place for the entire project.  

The should have placed the Whole Foods fronting Providence and in turn made the road from The Porter's House to where Whole Foods is, if not all the way to the Starbucks, pedestrians only.  I get the need for accessible parking but that could have been behind the shops in the massive parking lot.  

Could have been so much more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Went over to Waverly the other night and was rather disappointed.  I understand the need for parking but the layout of the retail corridor leaves a lot to be desired.  Just like Prominade, CK decided to try and provide front door parking for every tenant rather than creating a sense of place for the entire project.  

The should have placed the Whole Foods fronting Providence and in turn made the road from The Porter's House to where Whole Foods is, if not all the way to the Starbucks, pedestrians only.  I get the need for accessible parking but that could have been behind the shops in the massive parking lot.  

Could have been so much more.

Agree 100%.  I don't hate the project but it is under achieving in a big way.

I like Waverly and the reason I think it will be a major success is its town center feel. Yes the main street through the shopping area from Starbucks to the Porter House offers streetside parking. But isn't that like small town Mooresville, Concord, Belmont, Mt Holly? The larger parking facilities in this case the garages are behind the shops, the hotel and office building. (Other reasons it will be off the charts success is that the south south Charlotte suburbs and wealthy Union County have some of the best demographics in the state in terms of income family size etc) It is walkable town center and you don't need a car community it is just brand new. Office workers walking to lunch or shopping.  Hotel guests walking to restaurants about 10 of them. Apartment dwellers and homeowners walking from their homes to restaurants and shops. Plus there is a huge plaza not yet open it is called the Terrace. http://www.waverlyclt.com/interactive-siteplan/   I love Avalon in Alpharetta far north ATL suburbs or  North Hills in Raleigh (both of which are on a much more grander scale) http://uli.org/uli-connect/town-centers-walkable-urbanism-suburbia/   Read what the ULI has to say about them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I like Waverly and the reason I think it will be a major success is its town center feel. Yes the main street through the shopping area from Starbucks to the Porter House offers streetside parking. But isn't that like small town Mooresville, Concord, Belmont, Mt Holly?

I think the difference is those downtowns use parallel parking to the street while Waverly uses right angle parking.  Not only does this add much more parking but it also changes the feel.   A small town feel to me is actually 30º or maybe 45º parking...

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Rea Farms Village Lincoln Harris's mixed use project behind Harris Teeter on Providence Rd south of 485.  In the distance you see the framing of the Lifestyle Fitness Center and in the foreground the slab for the new 60K Harris Teeter  See the site plan here http://reafarmsvillage.com/

Looking at the site plan it appears they are not going to do parking along the 'village green'...if so this could be really nice. 

Waverly has more places open now including the Porter's House upscale steakhouse by the Dresslers folks, Chick-fil-a, Panera and of course Chuys. It is very active construction zone along with open businesses it is crazy down there in the parking lot as I saw today. The Hilton Garden Inn is topped out and the office building glass is going in. The townhomes are underway and they will wrap both parking garages. A new town center for south south Charlotte and Weddington/Marvin. 

DSCN0206.JPG

DSCN0208.JPG

DSCN0209.JPG

DSCN0210.JPG

DSCN0211.JPG

DSCN0212.JPG

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, southslider said:

^That last picture shows parking against traffic, plus parking outside of recessed spaces.  Until the final pavement overlay is put down, it's likely to be a free-for-all. 

It is a free for all right now as the place is such an active construction zone. It is crazy. Chuys and now the Porters House are creating so many customers it is crazy in there. I am sure when it is all done it will back to normal. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes lunch at Waverly today. As I have stated before this will be a new town center for south south Charlotte and surrounding the Weddington Waxhaw Marvin areas which have some of the best demographics of the entire Charlotte area.  Photos of the office building, the 2 story Whole Foods, the townhomes by David Weekley and the single family homes and the Hilton Garden Inn.. This project is a huge home run and I know some don't like its design but the suburbanites who live around here will embrace it as well as the new Rea Farms Village across Providence. (Think Avalon in Alpharetta GA on the far north side of ATL)    What a great day in Charlotte except for the wind! 

DSCN1212.JPG

DSCN1213.JPG

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1216.JPG

DSCN1217.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

DSCN1219.JPG

DSCN1220.JPG

DSCN1221.JPG

DSCN1222.JPG

DSCN1224.JPG

DSCN1225.JPG

• Like 3

Yes see the  photo attached there is a park area with a fountain and I think a little stage. the majority of parking is in garages behind the shops and there are surface lots too. People will be be strolling I am sure. If people hang out at the Blakeney shopping center area they will more so here. 

DSCN1222.JPG

• Like 1

I've been through Waverly and originally had high hopes for it. They really missed the boat on the "main street" feel that every lifestyle center is trying to create.  The one story strip buildings are pretty bland and they really sold out by not having any residential over the shops. Maybe the little plaza will turn out nice and be a cool hangout spot. It just seems like everything is in pods & there's no mixing of the uses on the site. Will the office building or hotel have first floor retail? 

I think the Kingsley project in Fort Mill is doing 10x better if you look at the architectural themes. They are doing some true mixed use that is closer to Birkdale in design and the architecture is pretty interesting to look at.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, JBS said:

Agree 100%.  I don't hate the project but it is under achieving in a big way.

16 hours ago, 49er said:

I've been through Waverly and originally had high hopes for it. They really missed the boat on the "main street" feel that every lifestyle center is trying to create.  The one story strip buildings are pretty bland and they really sold out by not having any residential over the shops. Maybe the little plaza will turn out nice and be a cool hangout spot. It just seems like everything is in pods & there's no mixing of the uses on the site. Will the office building or hotel have first floor retail? 

I think the Kingsley project in Fort Mill is doing 10x better if you look at the architectural themes. They are doing some true mixed use that is closer to Birkdale in design and the architecture is pretty interesting to look at.

Nailed it.

22 hours ago, 49er said:

They really missed the boat on the "main street" feel that every lifestyle center is trying to create.

It's just a new Arboretum.  e.g. A strip mall that is pretending to be something else.  

Kinda happy about it as it will make it less of a destination from the north and thus lower _some_ traffic.  

I guess another way to put it is there was an hour wait for Chuy's last weekend.  They didn't have to do anything special here.  They just need to exist.

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

It's just a new Arboretum.  e.g. A strip mall that is pretending to be something else.

I would respectfully say that you've gone too far.  It's much less than it should/could be but it's much more than a strip mall.  Just the residential, hotel and office space differentiate from a strip mall.  The lots are very poorly designed (IMO) but it is walkable from the residential to the offices to the retail.  I've seen a lot better though (including those mentioned above).

• Like 1