Providence Road Development

BuzzCity

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

LIncoln Harris is proposing to add a video screen wall for outdoor movies along their central green area at Rea Farms Village.  This is interesting. See the presentation here.  http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/095-110/2017-095 community report.pdf

I think they want to so the same thing at  Promenade on Providence.  I am a fan of the idea.  Love public spaces being used like this.

• Like 1

Couple from Lincoln Harris's Rea Farms Village. Apartments over retail and huge Lifestyle fitness center.  100s of construction workers here and across the street at Waverly and Providence Farms by Crescent. 

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

couple of Waverly and this new building will be home of Charlotte's relocation NN Inc. 

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Couple from Lincoln Harris's Rea Farms Village. Apartments over retail and huge Lifestyle fitness center.  100s of construction workers here and across the street at Waverly and Providence Farms by Crescent. 

IMG_0890.JPG

couple of Waverly and this new building will be home of Charlotte's relocation NN Inc. 

Beautiful corner architecture. But the question is: will the ground floor be retail or garages? :tw_astonished:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I went to check out Waverly, etc. the other day.  WOOF.  That is the beige-iest mass of I don't know what. I didn't even bother with pictures.

I really wanted to like it, but holy mayonnaise in a bucket....  They need to bring in some large trees, flowers, shrubbery, add some sort of roof features if not structured roofs themselves, gargoyles... something! Even awnings would help and nobody likes awnings. 

It's remarkably busy for so much nothingness out there. There are so many businesses advertised, but the layout and color scheme makes it look like a strip mall in a desert with a cul-de-sac a few feet behind it. Something needs to make it feel more connected besides that lack-of-color scheme. They most certainly did not achieve what they were going for.

I couldn't get too close to Rea Farms, but It doesn't seem like it will be much better. 

16 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It truly is awful. Absolutely no chance taken on anything other than the standard individual stores with their individual parking.  Guess a parking deck with a pedestrian friendly storefronts with greenery and benches is just too much to ask for. 

It's pretty disappointing.  That said this fraction of the project actually feels well designed.    Need to really stress fraction of the project.  :(

Untitled-1.png

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of photos of Rea Farms Village Lincoln Harris's mixed use walkable suburban town center.  I know many of you detest these type developments but I don't.  They provide walkable developments that mix single family homes, apartments, senior apartments (at RVF) shopping, and office buildings a true live work shop stay environment.  There will be a hotel here too plus a public STEM school and of course the huge Lifestyle Fitness Center.  And to the thousands upon thousands of suburbanites who live nearby they become gathering points.  The huge super sized Harris Teeter is now under construction. 

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Photos of Rea Farms Village by Lincoln Harris today. It is coming together and the 75,000 sq ft Harris Teeter is now underway.  Lifetime Fitness center open.  This will be a great project for south Charlotte and Waxhaw Weddington areas a walkable town center environment.  100s of apartments, senior apartments, single family new homes and townhomes too.  Plus it will have a huge village green area with outdoor video screen for movies and so forth.  Site plan here http://reafarmsvillage.com/

IMG_4859.JPG

IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4862.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Waverly announced it will start its 2nd 154,000 sq ft office building with an anchor tenant signed on.   What this is showing that mixed used areas are great in attracting tenants whether in the suburbs like Waverly or intown like SouthEnd or Uptown (which of course is the biggest mixed used neighborhood in town)    That is why you will see Ballantyne adding more walkable amenities such as housing, retail etc near their office buildings.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/07/waverly-developer-ready-to-break-ground-on-second.html?ana=TWT_staffAF

• Like 4

On 12/31/2017 at 3:50 PM, KJHburg said:

This will be a great project for south Charlotte and Waxhaw Weddington areas a walkable town center environment.  

IMG_4862.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

I agree.  I really like LH's work.

This is my old neighborhood.  I lived there for three years until I got tired of the traffic and moved closer in.  Otherwise, I loved the area and think this will be a great addition.

I'd like to see LH take over the Lat Purser site on Providence and Newtown Rd by the entrance to Weddington Chase.

Edited by SydneyCarton

I like many of the elements of Rea Farms but they missed the mark in other places.  

For example, they did a great job with stacking structured parking behind the main office buildings at the back of the project but got lazy at the front of the project.  They could have incorporated the HT into the street grid while still providing the sea of parking they surely demanded.   It's not unusual for a grocery store to have multiple entrances and they should have tried to hide that parking behind a complete wall of buildings facing the green.   They also could have wrapped the structured parking with ground floor retail creating a N/S corridor crossing the same green.   

Hell, with hiding the parking behind structures I feel like you could reduce the need for islands in the parking lots to try and cover the concert jungle.  In turn, that could have actually delivered more parking and a better overall experience.  

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going to happen with the current HT once they move to the new location at Rea Farms just behind?  

An uber driver claimed to have spoken to people who worked at penn station subs and was informed that they were going to demolish the entire front plaza.  I am 99.9999% sure that's BS but now am curious what's going to go in the large HT space.

16 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Does anyone know what is going to happen with the current HT once they move to the new location at Rea Farms just behind?  

An uber driver claimed to have spoken to people who worked at penn station subs and was informed that they were going to demolish the entire front plaza.  I am 99.9999% sure that's BS but now am curious what's going to go in the large HT space.

Nope your uber driver is correct.  It will be eventually bulldozed over and made a part of Rea Farm Village. Same family owns the land and leases that land to the shopping center.  When it will happen I don't know but that shopping center will be bulldozed at some point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Nope your uber driver is correct.  It will be eventually bulldozed over and made a part of Rea Farm Village. Same family owns the land and leases that land to the shopping center.  When it will happen I don't know but that shopping center will be bulldozed at some point. 

Wow.  That's crazy and feels like such a waste.  

• Like 1