Development Around Charlotte

BuzzCity

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depressing stuff for me, personally, to see "development" around Charlotte.  I enjoy the urban progress reports, but the Ballantynes, Mooresvilles, and Birkdales of the world can take a hike. Go ahead, flame me, but habitat fragmentation is the #1 reason for animal extinction, family farms getting busted up by beltways, and trees quickly succumbing to bulldozers. Keep things urban. My vote.

Depressing stuff for me, personally, to see "development" around Charlotte. I enjoy the urban progress reports, but the Ballantynes, Mooresvilles, and Birkdales of the world can take a hike. Go ahead, flame me, but habitat fragmentation is the #1 reason for animal extinction, family farms getting busted up by beltways, and trees quickly succumbing to bulldozers. Keep things urban. My vote.

Meanwhile, one could only dream Charlotte was 1/2 as urban as Lake Norman or even it's inner rings hoods had pedestrian standards like LKN ;)

I'm all for hating suburbs, but those outside of Mecklenburg or even Charlotte for its pathetic standards

Depressing stuff for me, personally, to see "development" around Charlotte.  I enjoy the urban progress reports, but the Ballantynes, Mooresvilles, and Birkdales of the world can take a hike. Go ahead, flame me, but habitat fragmentation is the #1 reason for animal extinction, family farms getting busted up by beltways, and trees quickly succumbing to bulldozers. Keep things urban. My vote.

Speaking of family farms being busted up, I have been bemoaning the loss of so much land near the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden on the Gastonia thread.  Over 800 homes, and a marina are now being planned that abut right up to the Garden's property and along the Carolina Thread Trail that goes along the shorelines of Lake Wylie.  Supposedly, I had seen a post from the Carolina Thread Trail thanking McLean Homes for some sort of donation to them and/or the Catawba Land Conservancy.  My only guess is that they are tossing all of this money as a pass for what will inevitably be a TON of runoff into the coves and the loss of a great amount of tree canopy.  What is a beautiful, quiet and wonderful place to hike, walk and bike is going to basically become part of a bunch of backyards.  My understanding is that the NCDOT does not have any plans to widen NC273 or Southpoint road which leads to the other massive Peninsula development on Lake Wylie.  I can only shake my head at how much traffic is going to be dumped on a two lane road.  Not to mention what quiet solitude that surrounds the Botanical Garden is going to be completely disrupted - ruining any kind of quality experience.

Now, before everyone blasts me, I totally understand that the Stowe family (at least the heirs that are around here) more than likely have no true vested interest in the farmland that a majority of McLean's development is going to be on.  Purely a business decision.  It is unfortunate that it comes at a great loss to the environment and what is a beautiful piece of Gaston County.  This is the way of the world now, and not much for any of us to do about it.  I want to be a good steward, but I feel hopeless against this kind of development.  Hopefully, this area will pan out to be much better than I believe it will be based on the rapid grown that is happening all around Charlotte.

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

I haven't seen anyone post about this, even though it has been lurking in the background for quite some time.  The scope of this is massive and I am very afraid of the impact it will have on several fronts.  First, the Stowe Botanical Garden, the Carolina Thread Trail that goes along the lakefront, Lake Wylie itself and New Hope Road/Pole Branch Road traffic.

http://www.bizjourna...-on-former.html

I totally understand progress and that Gaston County continues to be a more desirable place to live, but 800 homes?  My understanding is that when this whole development was originally considered, it was somewhere in the ballpark of 1,400 homes.  So I guess we should be happy that it has been scaled back to just 800.

The sanctity and serenity of this area of Gaston County will, IMHO, be irreversibly changed for the worse.  The Botanical Garden will not have the quietness and solitude it currently has with all of the development that this will bring.

Speaking of family farms being busted up, I have been bemoaning the loss of so much land near the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden on the Gastonia thread.  Over 800 homes, and a marina are now being planned that abut right up to the Garden's property and along the Carolina Thread Trail that goes along the shorelines of Lake Wylie.  Supposedly, I had seen a post from the Carolina Thread Trail thanking McLean Homes for some sort of donation to them and/or the Catawba Land Conservancy.  My only guess is that they are tossing all of this money as a pass for what will inevitably be a TON of runoff into the coves and the loss of a great amount of tree canopy.  What is a beautiful, quiet and wonderful place to hike, walk and bike is going to basically become part of a bunch of backyards.  My understanding is that the NCDOT does not have any plans to widen NC273 or Southpoint road which leads to the other massive Peninsula development on Lake Wylie.  I can only shake my head at how much traffic is going to be dumped on a two lane road.  Not to mention what quiet solitude that surrounds the Botanical Garden is going to be completely disrupted - ruining any kind of quality experience.

Now, before everyone blasts me, I totally understand that the Stowe family (at least the heirs that are around here) more than likely have no true vested interest in the farmland that a majority of McLean's development is going to be on.  Purely a business decision.  It is unfortunate that it comes at a great loss to the environment and what is a beautiful piece of Gaston County.  This is the way of the world now, and not much for any of us to do about it.  I want to be a good steward, but I feel hopeless against this kind of development.  Hopefully, this area will pan out to be much better than I believe it will be based on the rapid grown that is happening all around Charlotte.

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

I haven't seen anyone post about this, even though it has been lurking in the background for quite some time.  The scope of this is massive and I am very afraid of the impact it will have on several fronts.  First, the Stowe Botanical Garden, the Carolina Thread Trail that goes along the lakefront, Lake Wylie itself and New Hope Road/Pole Branch Road traffic.

http://www.bizjourna...-on-former.html

I totally understand progress and that Gaston County continues to be a more desirable place to live, but 800 homes?  My understanding is that when this whole development was originally considered, it was somewhere in the ballpark of 1,400 homes.  So I guess we should be happy that it has been scaled back to just 800.

The sanctity and serenity of this area of Gaston County will, IMHO, be irreversibly changed for the worse.  The Botanical Garden will not have the quietness and solitude it currently has with all of the development that this will bring.

I was wondering what they were doing to this area. I've ridden by it on my boat a few times and thought it was just some small neighborhood they were going to build.I don't like the idea of 800 homes there and it's also going to add more boat traffic which I'd rather not have. I'll be interested to see what impact this will have on Lake Wylie later on.

I'm mostly for development, but I get a little upset when I see developers clearcutting land and not saving even a few trees. It seems like there should be some rule to preserve some trees on the land that's to be developed.

More of stuff like this? Kingston Park North going up off exit 85 on 77 in Fort Mill.  

That's exactly what I'm talking about being posted. Thanks for the great pictures

I was referring to construction that isn't just in downtown Charlotte, but more of around the greater Charlotte area (many of these things don't seem like they're in other threads, or I'm just not looking close enough). 

One thing we don't have in this forum is dedicated threads to projects outside of Charlotte. Check to see if there's an old one to revive, but otherwise if you want to start a thread for your area and keep it active I can pin it to the top so it won't get lost in the rest of the Charlotte threads.

One thing we don't have in this forum is dedicated threads to projects outside of Charlotte. Check to see if there's an old one to revive, but otherwise if you want to start a thread for your area and keep it active I can pin it to the top so it won't get lost in the rest of the Charlotte threads.

that would be great

Archived