City Parks/Greenways

nashvillwill

It doesn't seem we have any thread dedicated to city parks in general, so I figured I would start one. There are often interesting things happening at our various parks, so this could be a place to discuss.

Now, on to the reason I needed a place for discussion.

Cumberland Park. You know, the new one on the east bank under the pedestrian bridge. Several times this year, I've tried to go over there and due to a "special event" all of the lots were pay lots of $25 or so. I asked the attendant where there was parking for the city park and she said that all lots were pay and I would be towed if I didn't pay.

This doesn't seem right to me. There is a fenced in lot directly under KVB, but it has been locked every time I go there. This fence has a sign on it that says "park access".

So, as a tax paying citizen, I feel like I (we) are being denied reasonable access to this park. Does anyone have any information about this?

• Like 2

I used to drive by the park on 12South every now and then...and there would hardly ever be anyone using it.  I think it's Sevier Park?

Anyway...since things ramped up on 12S...that park is bustling!  I love seeing that.

I used to walk my dogs there back in the late 90s and the only folks there were my fellow dog owners, a few basketball players, and folks meeting in the parking lot for sometimes nefarious purposes.  By the time I moved from 12South in 05, the park had already started to come back.  I like to think the dog owners helped to make it feel safe enough to use again.

It doesn't seem we have any thread dedicated to city parks in general, so I figured I would start one. There are often interesting things happening at our various parks, so this could be a place to discuss.

Cumberland Park. You know, the new one on the east bank under the pedestrian bridge. Several times this year, I've tried to go over there and due to a "special event" all of the lots were pay lots of $25 or so. I asked the attendant where there was parking for the city park and she said that all lots were pay and I would be towed if I didn't pay.

This doesn't seem right to me. There is a fenced in lot directly under KVB, but it has been locked every time I go there. This fence has a sign on it that says "park access".

So, as a tax paying citizen, I feel like I (we) are being denied reasonable access to this park. Does anyone have any information about this?

Where exactly are you trying to park over there? By the Riverfront Building or whatever it is called? I have been there countless times and have never ran into issues with parking. That is my go to place when I go downtown, ride bikes on greenway, etc., because it is always free parking. Maybe I just have been lucky. I was thinking the fenced in parking was for valet cars during special events, but I could be wrong. I don't think I have ever seen vehicles parked inside there. 

• Like 1

Almost every other venue on her tour seats 12,000 people plus.  I wonder if artists are aware of how small the amphitheater is?  I wonder if it's attracting all of these big acts because it's brand new, but after this year the big acts will stop coming once they realize how few seats there are?

Almost every other venue on her tour seats 12,000 people plus.  I wonder if artists are aware of how small the amphitheater is?  I wonder if it's attracting all of these big acts because it's brand new, but after this year the big acts will stop coming once they realize how few seats there are?

Just a hunch, but it seems logical that tickets might be a bit more expensive in smaller venues just to make up for the lack of overall butts in seats. And with it being a new venue, there's still the "wow" factor that could lead to easier sellouts.

A third factor: With Live Nation handling the booking, my understanding is that companies like that will book an artist at their bigger venues in, for example, Miami and Chicago, but they have to take a smaller venue like Nashville as part of the package deal.

I could be wrong, so I won't take offense at any corrections.

• Like 1

Just a hunch, but it seems logical that tickets might be a bit more expensive in smaller venues just to make up for the lack of overall butts in seats. And with it being a new venue, there's still the "wow" factor that could lead to easier sellouts.

A third factor: With Live Nation handling the booking, my understanding is that companies like that will book an artist at their bigger venues in, for example, Miami and Chicago, but they have to take a smaller venue like Nashville as part of the package deal.

I could be wrong, so I won't take offense at any corrections.

Those are excellent points!  I'm sure you're probably right about Live Nation making it a package deal of sorts.  That makes sense.

Yeah, I had this same problem this past weekend during CMA Fest.  I asked the policeman how to get to the park with my kid and was told that I would have to pay $25 to go to the park.  Kind of sucks, but it probably doesn't happen too often.

• 1 year later...
On 6/14/2015 at 4:09 PM, nashvillwill said:

I somewhat agree with you, however, what constitutes reasonable access? Should we have unlimited access to Nissan Stadium, since it is owned by Nashville and Davidson County? 

Here's how I see it; if the $25 per car goes toward the immediate upkeep and improvement of that part or similar parks, then why not? If the city can take advantage of unique situations to create revenue that's not through the form of taxation or development fees, why not?

On 6/16/2015 at 0:34 PM, japan said:

Yeah, I had this same problem this past weekend during CMA Fest.  I asked the policeman how to get to the park with my kid and was told that I would have to pay $25 to go to the park.  Kind of sucks, but it probably doesn't happen too often.

Similar to the frustration I have felt almost every time I have tried to jog on the downtown greenway by Ascend.  Access is almost always blocked because of some private concert.  Seems like there should be a way to have concerts and still let the public have access to the parks and greenways they helped pay for, doesn't it?  And when the heck is the greenway behind the First Tennessee ballpark going to reopen?  Grrr.

• Like 2

Can anyone recommend a good place to go with caves and waterfalls? I know there are some state park but I have never been to any. I am bringing some friends from Virginia Beach to Nashville for 4th of July weekend and wanted to show them our beautiful outdoor areas. They are used to very flat lol.

24 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Can anyone recommend a good place to go with caves and waterfalls? I know there are some state park but I have never been to any. I am bringing some friends from Virginia Beach to Nashville for 4th of July weekend and wanted to show them our beautiful outdoor areas. They are used to very flat lol.

- Cummins Falls near Cookeville/Gainsboro ~1 hr from Nashville

- Rock Island near McMinnville ~1.5 hr from Nashville

-Old Stone Fort near Manchester ~1-1.5 away

For something a little closer, there are some decent areas around the Harpeth River in West Davidson/Cheatham Co.  Montgomery Bell Park is a little further West towards Dickson.

These mostly have waterfalls that I know of, not too sure about caves.  I'm sure there are some in those areas.  I do know there is Bone Cave out towards Hwy.111/Hwy. 70 in between Sparta and McMinnville.  In the same "area" as Rock Island.

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TNinVB said:

8 great waterfalls within a short drive of Nashville:

http://styleblueprint.com/nashville/everyday/8-best-waterfalls-tennessee/

• Like 3

Don't think there are any waterfalls there, but I remember going on a field trip in 6th grade to Dunbar Cavern smack in the middle of Clarksville, oddly enough.  According to Wikipedia it is the 280th largest cave system in the world.  lol

• Like 1

Cumberland Caverns. If the timing is right you might be able to attend a taping of the locally produced PBS show "Bluegrass Underground." Taped in the Volcano Room, 333feet underground.

A drive up into Kentucky to Mammoth Cave National Park.

Falls Creek Falls State Park has a couple of worthy falls. "The park's namesake is the 256-foot (78 m) Fall Creek Falls, the highest free-fall waterfall east of the Mississippi River." (From Wilkipedia)

• Like 3

^^ Thanks, Brett.    That is how the detour works, generally (although on one of my runs during CMA week, the north gate was open and I entered there, only to find the south gates locked, so I had to backtrack back out and around).    Anyway, much like the Sounds stadium greenway, one wonders why the Ascend greenway was not designed with a continuous path outside of the venue.    eg, connect the green path along the river with the yellow path under the KVB bridge.     I can't believe that the need for the detour system you describe only became apparent after Ascend was built.    Clearly it was foreseen that the red paths would have to be closed during events and during setup.   

• Like 2

Mammoth Cave National Park is one and a half hours north as noted in one of the above post but there are several other commercial caverns around there as well.

I think if I wanted to do both a cave and falls, then go east and do Cumberland Caverns and then Fall Creek Falls and just make a day of it. Keep the money in the state.

• Like 2