City Parks/Greenways

nashvillwill

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues on a couple of Mount Juliet Parks: 

Hamilton-Denson Park has 8 multi-use fields, new restrooms, a playground, and 90 parking spots, underway. Should be done this September.

Mundy Park has 3 new tennis courts, 4 pickelball courts, and 50 parking spaces underway to be done by August.

Cedar Creek Greenway: Construction continues on trail — from Charlie Daniels Park to Golden Bear Gateway near Mt. Juliet High School. Work includes a new bridge. Completion is estimated for the fall.

Grace Park: The city and Grace United Methodist Church had agreed on a $1 annual lease for 30 years to use roughly 12 acres of church land off North Mt. Juliet Road for a park.

In Lebanon, a sports complex that includes five soccer fields with LED lighting, a walking trail and playground was approved recently by the city council. The complex will be developed on Highway 231 South with land the city purchased in 2018.  Parking, a concession and restroom building and pavilion are also part of Phase 1.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/wilson/mt-juliet/2022/05/17/mt-juliet-lebanon-parks-recreation-projects-tennessee-whats-new/9676392002/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

It sure didn’t stop drivers from driving in the bike lanes on Commerce Sunday.  Saw the idiots doing it twice. The bikes lanes are too wide.

Or maybe the drivers who do that are too stupid and/or careless and/or selfish?  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

You realize that's a two-way bike lane on one side of the street?

They are too wide even for a two-way. They are not well marked either. Metro publics works at their absolute worst. I really wonder if there is anyone in public works that has an understanding of how these lanes should be marked. Next time I am there I will take a picture as that will last longer as Pee Wee Herman would say.

Metro always half asses everything they do. This includes streetscapes, parks, bike lanes, streetlamp's etc. The list goes on because they are cheap. A great example of this is the streetlight's they just replaced around the KVB round-about that were knocked out by the drunk tourist and homeless people. What did Metro do? They replaced them with the same thing so they could be knocked out again instead of something that would be more drunk proof. Give it a year and they will be in the same state they were before they replace them.

Another example is the streetlights on the Division Street connector that have been taken out by the drunk drivers. I am not even sure those have been replaced yet and when they do, they will be replaced by the same thing instead of doing something that will be safer and more permanent. Metro does it on the cheap trying to save money when they end up spending more money in the long run.

Is this really the way we want Metro to run? A major change is needed in the Metro Departments. There needs to be oversight in how this money is spent in the first place. It may cost a little more at first but spend it smarter and not cheaper. We have seen this over and over. 

Metro Arts: Ghost Balet, Stix or Sticks. I think Metro Arts should have more oversight than just a few people that think they know what they are talking about. They need to ask the people what they want to see. Maybe interactive art such as what is in Chicago. That is much more family friendly than art pieces you can't get to like one in the middle of a roundabout or one sitting over the river that needs a paint job.

Sometimes I feel like there are only a few folks in Metro government that really know or care about what they are doing. One of whom is on this board....Brett! But one person can't change the entire County. There are a few other council members that make a difference, but I really feel now is the time to put the 20-member Council back on the ballet and see where it goes. Pay them 100 k a year plus benefit's and it would be a great investment for Metro and a start to better government. 

Here is the proper way to do it to mark a two-way bike lane FYI.

Bike And Bus Lane Pavement Markings I Green Bike Lanes For Bicycles

• Like 2

No disagreements from me that it's not well marked and doesn't follow best practices/design standards, but it seems about as wide as the example above. Also, I totally agree that they're doing this infrastructure on the cheap, but I choose to be optimistic that getting the lanes in is a first step to improving them over time. Hopefully, the corridor along 12th S will be a huge success and spur more grant activity that will ensure the infrastructure is done properly. 

• Like 2