City Parks/Greenways

nashvillwill

• 4 weeks later...

20 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

@markhollin if I am not mistaken, these soccer fields were approved before the MLS location at The Fairgrounds was selected, and are independent of the MLS at Fairgrounds approval process? 

Will NashvilleSC be using these soccer fields as their practice facility?

I actually scrolled through the Bid Book submitted to the FIFA offices for the United (Canada, US, Mexico) Bid to host the 2026 World Cup. Here are a couple of clips regarding the proposed training facilities. The location is a little unclear, but may indicate the fairgrounds site.

40540919884_ef628960e5_c.jpg

And please, take other FIFA talk to the Soccer forum. I only added this here to provide appropriate data regarding the Fairgrounds improvements mentioned above.

Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The 650 acre Antioch park space will be called Mill Ridge Park. The park will feature a "destination playground" with water features, picnic pavilions, a fitness loop, a special event lawn and outdoor performance space, trails, restrooms, native grasslands, parking and other amenities.

City officials are finishing the design of the park's first phase east of Old Hickory Boulevard, and expect construction to begin next year. The initial phase is expected to include festival grounds, the playground, wetlands and a greenway through the Moore Farm Grasslands. Officials are targeting completion of the first phase in 2020.

More at the Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/08/23/nashville-park-mill-ridge-antioch/1064140002/

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.24.20 AM.png

• Like 4

I need eyes in that area as I rarely get up into that part of the city. There were a number of hotels built in Goodletsville but I have to do some research for the map on those.

As far as this project goes, give me the exact address and I may be able to find out.

There are lots of projects that just dont make it tomthe map especially if there are sub divisions. I try to concentrate on projects closer to the core but will put more of these type projects on the map if I have people to track them.

I am making huge strides on the map, but there is still a long way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Love it... every neighborhood deserves at least one well maintained centralized park with multiple amenities.  I'm still hoping that Morgan Park in Germantown gets a badly needed refurbishment.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but last I knew it was basically still just a big empty field with a greenway running through it.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The Boathouse Park is still percolating (albeit at a slow pace).  The Trust for Public Land in San Fran paid $2.5 million for the 13.5 acres at the base of Rolling Mill Hill on the west bank of the Cumberland. 

The project took some steps forward this summer via a site clean-up day, several introductory visits and a history and walking tour. Donors have committed $1.5 million, and Metro has set aside some funds for park master planning work, which could start this fall once an RFP makes it out of the purchasing department.

More at the Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/21025941/down-by-the-river

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.45.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.45.21 AM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the triangular park in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.51.22 AM.png

• Like 4

11 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Boathouse Park is still percolating (albeit at a slow pace).  The Trust for Public Land in San Fran paid $2.5 million for the 13.5 acres at the base of Rolling Mill Hill on the west bank of the Cumberland. 

The project took some steps forward this summer via a site clean-up day, several introductory visits and a history and walking tour. Donors have committed $1.5 million, and Metro has set aside some funds for park master planning work, which could start this fall once an RFP makes it out of the purchasing department.

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.45.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 5.45.21 AM.png

What a unique contribution to our parks system!  Projects like this could help continue the good press Nashville is receiving in the U.S. and around the world.

I especially like the idea of bringing more boats within view of the tourists and residents downtown.  Other than occasional barge, the Cumberland River looks lifeless.  We need more private activity on the river, such as what this boat park will bring.

• Like 3

Why do I have it in my mind that the Cumberland River is this dangerous, fast moving, spooky river that no one in their right mind would kayak?  For some reason, I've just always felt this way about that river.  Maybe it's because I grew up close to the Mississippi and Arkansas rivers...which were both murky and dangerous?

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Why do I have it in my mind that the Cumberland River is this dangerous, fast moving, spooky river that no one in their right mind would kayak?  For some reason, I've just always felt this way about that river.  Maybe it's because I grew up close to the Mississippi and Arkansas rivers...which were both murky and dangerous?

No gators here, though when I was growing up in south Alabama we never thought about gators when canoeing, fishing or swimming in creeks and rivers.  In the late '80s, the gators started showing up.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

No gators here, though when I was growing up in south Alabama we never thought about gators when canoeing, fishing or swimming in creeks and rivers.  In the late '80s, the gators started showing up.

Yeah...I just noticed guys back in my hometown were gator hunting the other day because the gator population is out of control and the state of Arkansas is allowing a hunting season.  When I grew up there, they had just reintroduced gators in the southern part of our county.  It's only a 2 hour drive from there to Memphis.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...I just noticed guys back in my hometown were gator hunting the other day because the gator population is out of control and the state of Arkansas is allowing a hunting season.  When I grew up there, they had just reintroduced gators in the southern part of our county.  It's only a 2 hour drive from there to Memphis.

Well, they are officially Tennessee residents now.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/reptiles/alligators.html

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...