City Parks/Greenways

nashvillwill

The grass field (as opposed to the community center, playground and basketball courts) is used many weeknights by youth football and soccer groups.   Until just a few years ago, the field was laid out as a baseball diamond with a backstop and used for adult softball and kids baseball, but Parks removed the baseball layout and let it all be grass.   I frequently see local residents using the field for frisbee and dogs.    But, yes, I agree with you it could be improved considerably.   For example, there is literally no where for parents to sit and watch their kids play.    Many of them bring lawn chairs and sit up on the 4th Ave. sidewalk.    It becomes something of a picnic gathering.   

One thing that would have to happen if the park is improved is to fix the drainage.     The field floods badly during heaving rains.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Seems as if they use it as a football or soccer park as there are field lights up around the park. I tend to agree with you as it is very under utilized.

6 hours ago, CenterHill said:

The grass field (as opposed to the community center, playground and basketball courts) is used many weeknights by youth football and soccer groups.   Until just a few years ago, the field was laid out as a baseball diamond with a backstop and used for adult softball and kids baseball, but Parks removed the baseball layout and let it all be grass.   I frequently see local residents using the field for frisbee and dogs.    But, yes, I agree with you it could be improved considerably.   For example, there is literally no where for parents to sit and watch their kids play.    Many of them bring lawn chairs and sit up on the 4th Ave. sidewalk.    It becomes something of a picnic gathering.   

One thing that would have to happen if the park is improved is to fix the drainage.     The field floods badly during heaving rains.   

Thanks for the info guys!  I'm glad to hear that it does get utilized by locals.  If people prefer it remain an open area for various sports and leisure then fine by me.  I just think it could stand to be spruced up a bit at least.  Like you said CenterHill, some benches and garbage cans... a little landscaping and some walking paths...  I'm not saying it needs to be Central Park or anything but a little TLC would go a long way in my opinion.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, markhollin said:

The historic steps at Percy Warner Park will be under restoration for the next 6 months.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2019/12/26/nashville-percy-warner-park-steps-close-restoration/2748914001/

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 5.57.02 AM.png

Jan. 4-5 from 8am-3pm there will be hot cocoa, water, and snacks provided by the Friends of Warner Park. Experience the steps and learn about the project 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, titanhog said:

I have an embarrassing story to tell about the Scarritt Bennett Center.

I was managing a rock band and our music video director wanted to shoot a major scene for the video in the center.  So...we rented it for a day and shot all the way into the next morning.  The director made some "cannons" to shoot fake rose petals up into that air...and we had hundred of candles everywhere in the building.  When it was all said and done, we ruined an antique table and got fake rose petals stuck in the antique light fixtures.  I had to personally pay $3000 to have the damage fixed...and they swore they'd never let another music video be done in their building.  :tw_grimace:

There is not an emoji for oops but there should be and in that case a OMG big OOPS. Sorry you had that issue Titan. At least you have a really good $3,000 story to tell!

18 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

There is not an emoji for oops but there should be and in that case a OMG big OOPS. Sorry you had that issue Titan. At least you have a really good $3,000 story to tell!

I can’t drive down that street without bowing my head in shame. :tw_dissapointed:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 12:38 AM, donNdonelson2 said:

Sunday afternoon’s storm took out a section of boardwalk on the Stones River Greenway. Photo from Councilman Kevin Rhoten’s Facebook page.

69A3A8AA-7ED0-451C-9AE8-F5AF55864BDE.jpeg

I feel like this section is almost always under construction due to some sort of flooding or storm damage. Wasn't it closed down for months a year or so ago?

39 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

I feel like this section is almost always under construction due to some sort of flooding or storm damage. Wasn't it closed down for months a year or so ago?

I know it has been damaged multiple times by fallen trees. That’s one of the disadvantages of having such a well shaded greenway...big trees DO often fall in big winds. (But in the heat of summer I certainly do appreciate the shade!)

• Like 2