yorkconstruct

Design Center Expansion in South End

Hopefully underground or wrapped. Please no more repeat of Ascent! :tw_confounded:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really like what the Design Center of Southend is becoming. Two weekends ago, some friends and I walked over to Hawkers(was pretty good). While we waited, we walked down to Barcelona and got a drink. Barcelona is very nice on the inside. I really liked the whole area and can't wait until more retail goes in there. The weather was mild and not raining for once so there were a lot of people walking around. I can only imagine what that area is going to be like this spring and summer. 

• Like 4

Question to those who frequent Southend more than I: What security presence do you see, public or private space? As this area becomes a 20 hour/day space I think it will attract more of all kinds of people. I have seen CPD on bicycle (rare) and rarely (never?) in cruisers.

• Like 1

I am usually surprised at the lack of police presence. I live in Southend and they occasionally hang out in the lot across from All American and cruise around at night, but not as much as uptown and certainly lack the private security of uptown. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its getting an additional 900 spaces, so it'll be stacked for sure. I'd guess 300 feet tall. 

Doubt they can wrap it. Think it has to be podium :(

3 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Doubt they can wrap it. Think it has to be podium :(

Nah, they definitely cannot wrap it. Its 1.3 acres, 900 spaces. To put that in perspective, Ascent is 380 spaces in .6 acres. So this is 2.5x the spaces on 2.5x the land. So basically it'll take up all 1.3 acres with parking and retail. then probably a 12-15 floor building on top. So I'll go with a prediction of 325 feet.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Nah, they definitely cannot wrap it. Its 1.3 acres, 900 spaces. To put that in perspective, Ascent is 380 spaces in .6 acres. So this is 2.5x the spaces on 2.5x the land. So basically it'll take up all 1.3 acres with parking and retail. then probably a 12-15 floor building on top. So I'll go with a prediction of 325 feet.

Wow. Site looks bigger from the street. Maybe I should limit my cerveza count at Superica.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Wow. Site looks bigger from the street. Maybe I should limit my cerveza count at Superica.

Theres more than 1.3 of developable land on that block, but I'd expect the West Blvd frontage to be reserved for an eventual hotel phase. Makes you wonder though... how long until 1800 Camden is no longer the highest and best use.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21

I enjoy urbanization and density for Southend, but I hope it’s done well.  Things can easily veer into the area being the bland generic cousin of uptown. 

18 minutes ago, Brendv7 said:

I enjoy urbanization and density for Southend, but I hope it’s done well.  Things can easily veer into the area being the bland generic cousin of uptown. 

It’s being done so well. IMO, SouthEnd has grown so fabulously and much more of a success than I thought it would’ve. 

• Like 2