Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Thank you for saying Seoul Food isn’t good. That place is not good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m Outraged. Soul food has the best fried wings in town. And that Potato swirl? 

You. Is. Crazy. 

1 minute ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I’m Outraged. Soul food has the best fried wings in town. And that Potato swirl? 

You. Is. Crazy. 

Wings are good, but that's not all that makes a Korean Restaurant. Plus its supposed to be Korean Southern fusion. Their Pulled pork is piss poor, almost tastes poached, and their pork belly is bland and oily. Bao's were meh. I'll give the potato swirl and the beef rib a shot after you and @atlrvr suggestions.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Wings are good, but that's not all that makes a Korean Restaurant. Plus its supposed to be Korean Southern fusion. Their Pulled pork is piss poor, almost tastes poached, and their pork belly is bland and oily. Bao's were meh. I'll give the potato swirl and the beef rib a shot after you and @atlrvr suggestions.

This is what you do: 

Order the soy Garlic Wings. Order the Potato Swirl. Order extra orange saice(that comes with the potato swirl) to also use for the wings.  Delicious.  But yeah, the other stuff was meh to me as well. 

Edited by JorgiPorgi

Ha seeing as my drunk food of choice in the area is wings and potato swirl I was confused by the comment but you're (RDF) actually going there to eat like a real adult and not order late at night to take home..

I agree I ate off the menu and wasn't too impressed but to be fair to an above post they were out of beef rib at the time.  For a back patio hang out and late night spot I really enjoy it.  Guess my expectations weren't too high for it.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

18 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Ha seeing as my drunk food of choice in the area is wings and potato swirl I was confused by the comment but you're (RDF) actually going there to eat like a real adult and not order late at night to take home..

I agree I ate off the menu and wasn't too impressed but to be fair to an above post they were out of beef rib at the time.  For a back patio hang out and late night spot I really enjoy it.  Guess my expectations weren't too high for it.

Hey now, I don't eat anywhere as an Adult, I'm just getting drunk earlier in the day than you, with my lackluster pulled pork dinner.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:11 PM, wilmore said:

I think the better/cooler argument is true. The actually good places seem to be doing just as well if they're local. Futo Buta is a perfect example, Rai Lay, Pasta & Provisions, all seem to be doing quite well. Then there's stuff like the extremely strange CBD-obsessed Max & Lola's, the nostalgia-heavy mediocrity Pike's, and every Bottle Cap Group joint (though the Bottle Cap ones may actually be doing well, I don't really go by there at prime times, but I think it's clear they are *worse* than the chains). Seoul Food is also packed all the time, and it's not even good - but it has a similar cool factor to these chains. 

Bardo also looks to be doing great recently after a slow start - they've really picked up business over the past few months to where they appear full pretty much every night when I go by. I really don't think there is anywhere executing to the same level as these popular chains that isn't doing well *because* they're local; Golden Cow is a possibility - I'm not sure if they've been hit a lot by Jeni's moving in, but I have to be honest and say the ice cream just isn't as good. Their location is also significantly worse, which is another point: these chains do get the best spots, and *have* to be that full to make the rent back out. 

Overall it seems like people are freaking out and dropping hot takes (less on here than on Twitter), when those takes are really about ~5 hot national/regional chains (and yeah, I find it hard to consider Superica a "chain" either.)

It continues to amaze me how a second rate blog like Charlotte Agenda drives so much restaurant and bar hype in town. They have never done a proper review of a place, and for that matter they have never been to a place they don’t LOVE!

Count the amount of mentions/tweets/post a national chain like Jenni’s or Hawkers gets on CA vs a local place like Golden Cow. 

That doesn’t apply if it’s a local place designed to be rolled out as a chain. 

Since the Observer doesn’t even have a food editor anymore it’s sad to see how many people just blindly follow ChainAgenda. 

11 hours ago, CLT> said:

It continues to amaze me how a second rate blog like Charlotte Agenda drives so much restaurant and bar hype in town. They have never done a proper review of a place, and for that matter they have never been to a place they don’t LOVE!

Count the amount of mentions/tweets/post a national chain like Jenni’s or Hawkers gets on CA vs a local place like Golden Cow. 

Since the Observer doesn’t even have a food editor anymore it’s sad to see how many people just blindly follow ChainAgenda. 

A second rate blog? It gets 50k clicks a day, and has 140k followers on instagram, 40k on twitter, and the newsletter has like 45,000 subscribers.

Yes I agree its chain happy, which annoys the hell out of me, as a writer for them, but calling them second rate, when they are quickly growing and outpacing everyone in most metrics, is silly. 

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

A second rate blog? It gets 50k clicks a day, and has 140k followers on instagram, 40k on twitter, and the newsletter has like 45,000 subscribers.

Yes I agree its chain happy, which annoys the hell out of me, as a writer for them, but calling them second rate, when they are quickly growing and outpacing everyone in most metrics, is silly. 

I give them props for filling the void creative loafing left behind in a digital world.

They market there pants off.

if your sending out 45,000 emails I would expect more clicks per day.  

I personally like the guys on 1110 AM restaurant Tuesday in the evening.  Or Dirty Restaurant Thursday!  Hilarious and scary...

The Agenda has had a hugely positive impact on the city of Charlotte in my opinion.  I also agree with others pointing out how important location is - if you put Golden Cow in the Jenni’s location it would be killing it as well.  Hopefully some local brands will get the confidence to pay up for the top locations.

Edited by cmwilson24
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, CLT> said:

Lol u mad?

• Like 2

I also wish that they would do a better job of actual honest restaurant reviews and less "most instagrammable brunch spots", but they definitely serve a purpose. As long as they continue to provide renderings and bring attention to new developments and post renderings early on as they have been doing, I'll find myself on their site every now and then for those alone. The rest of the site is pretty garbage though, I mean who really budgets their spending weekly?? I made lunch and dinner with food I had in my fridge $0. 

• Like 4

On 5/12/2019 at 9:41 AM, cmwilson24 said:

I also agree with others pointing out how important location is - if you put Golden Cow in the Jenni’s location it would be killing it as well.  Hopefully some local brands will get the confidence to pay up for the top locations.

No doubt location is important, but Jenni's will have lines wrapping around their kiosk at Park Road Shopping Center, while Va da Vie never did, and they both serve good product. Some of the national chains can pay 3-4x what the local ones can, but that's the development world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 12:32 PM, J-Rob said:

about this... I like Jeni's but heard the feedback from some others on UP it might be overrated.   Over the last two weekends, I took my son to two well-rated local places (Elizabeth Creamery and Golden Cow).  I hate to say it, but I came away more convinced Jeni's actually has a superior product.  Not only does Jeni's have more unique flavors, but I genuinely think the ice cream taste better.  I am kind of meh on ice cream in general, but I love Jeni's.  It might be an unpopular, trend-following opinion, but I can now confidently say I like Jeni's more than other ice cream shops.   FWIW.

Agree with you on Elizabeth Creamery and Golden Cow - not as good as Jeni's. As for local, my favorite is Two Scoops. Give that a whirl if you're looking for more local shops to compare.

• Like 4