Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

7 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Don’t tease me.  My constant begging @theoptimistatl via Instagram DM may have worked?!

On a plate of tacos from Superica I promise that is the name I heard.  Because at first I thought they were going to open a location in Optimist Mill but I miss understood and it was Optimist they were looking to bring to the DC.  I had to look up their menu from Atlanta.  

http://theoptimistrestaurant.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

On a plate of tacos from Superica I promise that is the name I heard.  Because at first I thought they were going to open a location in Optimist Mill but I miss understood and it was Optimist they were looking to bring to the DC.  I had to look up their menu from Atlanta.  

http://theoptimistrestaurant.com/

This, unfortunately, is fake news. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

really someone who would know told me this who is close to the situation.  

anyway the Hawk tower today. 

Misread. Thought you meant optimist was coming to design center, which is not happening. As far as it coming to CLT overall. Possible but not sure. Don’t think so though

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, gman430 said:

D0803-D1-A-CA40-47-F6-87-CE-E7-B58-F472-

FBE426-EE-5960-4-FD3-AAE8-1-F5-CDA8037-D

This just really doesn't look nice.

I wouldn't want to pay all that money to feel like I had to walk into some scary/drab, cabrini green looking building just to get to my nice home every day. 

Are we going to get a residential building somewhere between "Pretty in Pink"& "Candyman" at any point? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I wouldn't want to pay all that money to feel like I had to walk into some scary/drab, cabrini green looking building just to get to my nice home every day. 

Are we going to get a residential building somewhere between "Pretty in Pink"& "Candyman" at any point? 

I think this will look a lot better once all the windows are installed, the balconies are finished, and it gets its treatment at the street-level.  It will look better again once residents move in and decorate their balconies and there are some lights on.

I agree, right now it looks a little Soviet Bloc-ish, but there is still a ways to go.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I think this will look a lot better once all the windows are installed, the balconies are finished, and it gets its treatment at the street-level.  It will look better again once residents move in and decorate their balconies and there are some lights on.

I agree, right now it looks a little Soviet Bloc-ish, but there is still a ways to go.  

I took another look at the renderings before I posted, but it's just not doing it for me. It's creepy and bland. A missed mark on stylish minimalism. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I took another look at the renderings before I posted, but it's just not doing it for me. It's creepy and bland. A missed mark on stylish minimalism. 

I agree with CT Tiger, I think this will end up being just fine. Its not ground breaking, but once the plank ceilings go in the balconies, the railing, and the finished windows it'll look a bit more interesting. 

8 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I like it, mostly for its scale.  It's not a massive 300-400 unit complex taking up whole block in town and it adds a little height to the area.  Plus the design isn't the same old cookie cutter design we've been getting with every other apartment building in town.  It may not be for everyone but I definitely like it.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

I like it, mostly for its scale.  It's not a massive 300-400 unit complex taking up whole block in town and it adds a little height to the area.  Plus the design isn't the same old cookie cutter design we've been getting with every other apartment building in town.  It may not be for everyone but I definitely like it.  

Not to mention once the Lowe's building is finished and if we get height at the Design Center Phase 2 that was just on CLTDevelopment last night this will be more of an infill project to the neighborhood than sticking out as it is today

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Not to mention once the Lowe's building is finished and if we get height at the Design Center Phase 2 that was just on CLTDevelopment last night this will be more of an infill project to the neighborhood than sticking out as it is today

And two towers at Portman, and Two towers at Stiles project at West Blvd and the Light Rail.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I agree with CT Tiger, I think this will end up being just fine. Its not ground breaking, but once the plank ceilings go in the balconies, the railing, and the finished windows it'll look a bit more interesting. 

I think if it had a few more Miami style art deco touches it could be really nice, some more decorative elements up and down the building and at the top and base. Looks like it is bordering on converted parking garage, but its not terrible, just... there. If it were a little off white, or had a tint of light green maybe.

Just now, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I think if it had a few more Miami style art deco touches it could be really nice, some more decorative elements up and down the building and at the top and base. Looks like it is bordering on converted parking garage, but its not terrible, just... there. If it were a little off white, or had a tint of light green maybe.

I think if they had given as much contrast as the renderings it would help, but its a bit flat.